SliderR1's Track Goblin - 05 SS/SC

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
What is that piece with ears between your fuel tank and what looks like the floor strap?
That's what take place of the steering rack. It holds the rear tie rods for the rear wheels. Since the subframe is moved from the front to the back, the steering rack is kept in the front but something needs to replace it and make it solid for the rear.

PHerder

Or he is asking about the rods that are between the steering rack replacement and the tank which I believe may be the support rods for the rear wing?

SliderR1

the little bars with ears are for the wing and the other piece is as described above - replaces the rack.

SliderR1

Got some work done stripping the engine over the weekend...

IMG_3998.JPG

IMG_4001.JPG

Had to wreck this little home I found...
IMG_4014.JPG

IMG_4017.JPG

IMG_4019.JPG

After a good grease/oil cleaning, I'll be ready to start soda blasting.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find out this engine has the 42.5 lb injectors in it.

Last edited:

SliderR1

So, I've been on a little side track lately with regards to the taillights. I wanted something different and after lots of searching and head scratching decided to go with some 08-16 CBR1000RR integrated LED aftermarket taillights. The trick was coming up with a way to get them mounted and not look like a hack job. I sourced the lights from a company called TST Industries for $50 ea. I let them know ahead of time what my plans were and discussed combining the signals so that both flashed on one light for the application on the Goblin. They were also VERY kind to share the 3D model of their housing with me so I could model up a new housing in CAD and print them with my 3D printer. The first and biggest hurdle was getting the taillight to match up to housing, which I confirmed this weekend. Next step will be integrating the stock Goblin mounting bracket into my housing design. I'll leave you with a few pictures of the prototype.

IMG_4044.JPG

IMG_4045.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4047.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Very interesting! I too have been looking for other alternatives for the rear lights.

I like the 3D printed housing. When you finalize, you should upload your CAD and sliced file.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
So, I've been on a little side track lately with regards to the taillights. I wanted something different and after lots of searching and head scratching decided to go with some 08-16 CBR1000RR integrated LED aftermarket taillights. The trick was coming up with a way to get them mounted and not look like a hack job. I sourced the lights from a company called TST Industries for $50 ea. I let them know ahead of time what my plans were and discussed combining the signals so that both flashed on one light for the application on the Goblin. They were also VERY kind to share the 3D model of their housing with me so I could model up a new housing in CAD and print them with my 3D printer. The first and biggest hurdle was getting the taillight to match up to housing, which I confirmed this weekend. Next step will be integrating the stock Goblin mounting bracket into my housing design. I'll leave you with a few pictures of the prototype.

View attachment 2503

View attachment 2504

View attachment 2505

View attachment 2506
Awesome work!! Getting the “two” blinkers to flash on each light should be as easy as connecting the two wires together right? I assume it has lo/hi/left/right/ground?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
What about back up lights?
A small backup light could be mounted anywhere, honestly my license plate light provides more than enough light to reverse, Im not planning on having additional backup lights when I redo the rear body work to incorporate stop lights.

SliderR1

Final design complete. I'm super happy with it. If you use stock CBR taillights, this setup should be DOT compliant. I still need to get some 'final' hardware as I'm just using what I had in the spare parts bin to hold the light in. I used PLA for these pieces, and I'm not for sure how this material will hold up to use/abuse, but if printed in ABS, it should hold up well. I think the ABS is a little easier to put a 'finish' on, too, but I kinda like the look of the raw 3D print.

IMG_4064.JPG

IMG_4065.JPG

IMG_4066crop.jpg

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4068crop.jpg
IMG_4069.JPG

IMG_4059crop.jpg

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Nice work! Your printed black light housing sure does pop against that red chassis. Looks really good!
It gives the tail end a more aggressive look!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My son has a student license of AutoCAD (free for students for 4 years). Otherwise $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and every year $$$$$$. He is going to have to get used to Fusion360 in the future.

SliderR1

JeffsGoblin - I missed your reply earlier. I'd be willing to print up some of these for people if they were willing to cover the shipping and filament. These are about $5 each to print in PLA. They will need one hole to be drilled to allow the wires to pass through, too. (And probably a grommet added to hole)

For those that already have printing capabilities, I'm looking for a way to share while still covering my rights to the design. I just don't want someone else profiting off my willingness to share for free. I think I might be able to do that by posting them on thingiverse. I'll look into it some more and report back.

Chris Eggert

Final design complete. I'm super happy with it. If you use stock CBR taillights, this setup should be DOT compliant. I still need to get some 'final' hardware as I'm just using what I had in the spare parts bin to hold the light in. I used PLA for these pieces, and I'm not for sure how this material will hold up to use/abuse, but if printed in ABS, it should hold up well. I think the ABS is a little easier to put a 'finish' on, too, but I kinda like the look of the raw 3D print.

View attachment 2565

View attachment 2566

View attachment 2567

View attachment 2568

View attachment 2569 View attachment 2570
View attachment 2571
Seeing that red frame has made me a whole lot happier with my choice of red for my frame. That does look really good. I see im not the only one looking at aftermarket street bike lights for use on the Goblin. I have a set coming in hopefully this week that I ordered just so I could see them in person. If they look as good in person as they did in the catalog I will be happy. If not I will find something to do with them someday. They were right at that perfect price that I just had to get them if I use them or not...lol