So i probably just over paid for a donor........

deuc224

Hi all, just got a donor from coparts and with fees and all it came to 3k, i seriously think i overpaid but i really wanted to get this vehicle in and strip it before i put the deposit and stage 1 money in. Kinda having buyers remorse but oh well, nothing i can do now but pick it up and get to stripping. Any advice on specific tools i should get?

Last edited:

Gsd autos mn

Tell us what you bought

3/8th gasoline disconnects
Jack stands or wheel Dolly’s.
Transmission jack or engine hoist
3/4 “Rubber hose for draining gas tank
Storage bins or moving blankets
Engine table or stand
Wiring stripper or seam ripper
Misc items for making your harness

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Congrats on your purchase. You should be able to recoup some cost by selling off parts you don't need - this will lessen the remorse over pulling the trigger. Good luck.

deuc224

Got a 08 SS/TC with 60k miles on it.

Jack stands i got today from harbor freight
3/8 gas disconnects i will get
Probably engine hoist as well.
Definitely 3/4 rubber hose
ok, moving blankets, im lost on lol
Engine stand i have already and strippers.

Im jumping in to this build head first and appreciate the reply and any help i receive. The wiring harness seems like the most intimidating part, really worries me.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Hi all, just got a donor from coparts and with fees and all it came to 3k, i seriously think i overpaid but i really wanted to get this vehicle in and strip it before i put the deposit and stage 1 money in. Kinda having buyers remorse but oh well, nothing i can do now but pick it up and get to stripping. Any advice on specific ools i should get?
Label maker. Mark every plug I mean everyone on the harness that you unplug. you will appreciate it later

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
What I’m hearing is that the SS/TC are becominig difficult to come by with low mileage and not trashed. You did not over pay! I paid more than that for a 2007 SS/SC with 116K. You did not do bad at all. Don’t even sweat it. Everyday there are less and less of them and others are wanting those motors also. Let’s see some pics of it and start a build log. You will enjoy the build and the car even more!!!!

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Yeah that’s seriously not a bad deal at all. You can probably get $1k back in parts sales as well

Gsd autos mn

I agree You got a really good donor I got lucky on my purchase we had 35” of snow in February state record, MN IAA is open to public so I bid against the whole country on a regular basis.

I mention the moving blankets so you can lay out your painted donor parts or protect parts of the frame later during assembly. Just makes organization eazy.I have seen tarps used as well.

deuc224

Its wrecked from the front but I went out to coparts here to go see it and there isnt any subframe damage or anything, its mostly cosmetic, the intercooler is still in one piece and the radiator is messed up. Here is the link:

What do you guys sell from the donors?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Interesting this is the car I bid on earlier this week - pre-bid - and I quit at $850 considering the front end damage and deployed airbags - my not being able to review it in person. You got a good buy, as you can resell the doors, trunk with spoiler, rear bumper, tail lights, interior pieces, rear suspension parts, exhaust, wheel & tires (if you are not using them) and Brembo brakes. This should help to offset the cost of the donor.

Gsd autos mn

I’m selling on CL and EBay
Exhaust and cat
Rear bumper
Sub woofer
radio
Steering wheel
Climate controls
Rear view Mirror fits Chevy Malibu and Saturn aura
Side mirrors
Your seats are worth the most if you ship them grey hound to someone.

Your wheels are aftermarket
The trunklatch fits Saturn aura it’s worth $40
Dash trim panels
You can sell the front struts if your buying coil overs
Glass sells faster than doors
Front rotor and calipers
There’s quite a bit

Last edited:

deuc224

WOW, i didnt know you could get all that sold. I guess i need to honestly open my mind. Thanks guys, this is very insightful.

Lando217

I think that’s a great deal for the miles if none of the parts needed are damaged. I paid $2500 for an 08 ss/tc with 105k on it, small front end damage. so far I recouped about $1000 back and still thinking I can squeeze another $900 out of it. 60k mi is great, almost like new. Regardless the only advantage I had was being able to drive around and test the engine with a load. But I wouldn’t be worried at all with the price you paid.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
If I was you I would just remove the damaged parts and then just take it for a ride it looks like nothing it's too messed up other than cosmetics. Just make sure there is coolant.

deuc224

Yeah m gonna try and drive it when i get it back here. I was thinking of buying a new subframe just because its new and GM sells them in black already which just seems like a waste but i really wanted a new one for some odd reason.

RichRich

Agreed on the donor, don't feel bad about that purchase. I was able to sell the seats, rear spoiler, brake calipers, SS badges and a few other small things. Probably got back about $500 total but I had things priced to move. I didn't spend $3k on my donor but I replaced a few parts that you won't have to so it kinda equals out

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
A little late to the party but if it makes you feel any better, I just paid $3,463 for my donor without shipping (although it's only an hour away, I still had to pay for a tow truck)

09 SS/TC LSD & RPD with 129k miles, no major damage to anything or airbags, bumper covers are all that's damaged (still salvage title, though)

I felt some buyer's remorse when I bought it, especially after hearing you've got less than half the miles and still paid hundreds less.
Oh well, at least I got to see the car in person before the auction, confirmed it was an LSD model and that everything looked to be in great shape.