South Carolina registration

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I called into the main office for a status update once and it took them a few tries to figure out who I was and what I was looking after (turns out 8 digit VINs are hella confusing). But once we straightened that out, I got a phone number to a direct line to a single person who remembered me on two consecutive two-week status updates. We cooperated well on figuring out when/if I was missing anything what the holdups were or could have been.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
That's basically the same thing that happened to me.... so key points are to call DMV main offices and get on someone's good side and have them streamline you? I don't think I needed form 4038.

Corgithulhu

I remember you saying you didn't need 4038, but it makes sense that it was necessary for Rauq and possibly others. Sounds like maybe an oversight from whoever did your titling.

Not that I would go back and explain to the DMV why they left off another form to fill out. Unless that's your thing.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I mean anyone's welcome to try it without a 4038 but all it took was calling a dude up and scheduling him to come by the house during lunch the following day. From the conversations I had with the DMV we could pretty well conclude you slipped through a crack and anyone else intending to try the same shouldn't expect the same results. Too little effort to skip out on and too high of potential consequences in my opinion.

Corgithulhu

Agreed. I'd rather wish I spent those few minutes in a more exciting way and get it titled the first go-around, than wish I had spent those few minutes on the form while I wait 8 more weeks for the DMV to process everything all over again a second time.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I got my title in a matter of days, I guess it depends on who you talk to.

The "correct" way is whatever way gets you a title. Clearly I didn't need one and I've had my car titled/registered for months, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Corgithulhu

Oh god, now I don't know what way to feel. Do I get excited that I'll get a title within days of submitting, or will it take many weeks? I, for one, am shocked at the lack of consistency from our state's DMV.