Struts from an SS/SC donor

Parson Green

Having lower control arms of the aluminum-alloy variety is a characteristic of an FE3 suspension. True or false?

A Cobalt with an FE3 suspension will sit lower to the ground and have a firmer ride. True or false?

It will have front struts that are shorter than the ones on a plain-jane (FE1) suspension. True or false?

If one's donor car is a 2007 Cobalt SS, shortening the strut springs (by cutting a ring out of them) is an unnecessary step because (being from an FE3 suspension) said springs are already shorter. True or false?

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Having lower control arms of the aluminum-alloy variety is a characteristic of an FE3 suspension. True - I think the FE1s are black and possibly made out of steel instead of aluminum.

A Cobalt with an FE3 suspension will sit lower to the ground and have a firmer ride. True - SS models with FE3 and FE5 suspension do have a firmer ride and False - stock ground clearance is 5.4 inches for all models

It will have front struts that are shorter than the ones on a plain-jane (FE1) suspension. False - stock ground clearance is 5.4 inches for all models

If one's donor car is a 2007 Cobalt SS, shortening the strut springs (by cutting a ring out of them) is an unnecessary step because (being from an FE3 suspension) said springs are already shorter. False - stock ground clearance is 5.4 inches for all models

If you want a set of 2007 SS springs to play with, I have a set I can give you, just pay for shipping to you. That way you have a set that is cut and a set that is not cut.

Like Reply

Parson Green

Having lower control arms of the aluminum-alloy variety is a characteristic of an FE3 suspension. True - I think the FE1s are black and possibly made out of steel instead of aluminum.

A Cobalt with an FE3 suspension will sit lower to the ground and have a firmer ride. True - SS models with FE3 and FE5 suspension do have a firmer ride and False - stock ground clearance is 5.4 inches for all models

It will have front struts that are shorter than the ones on a plain-jane (FE1) suspension. False - stock ground clearance is 5.4 inches for all models

If one's donor car is a 2007 Cobalt SS, shortening the strut springs (by cutting a ring out of them) is an unnecessary step because (being from an FE3 suspension) said springs are already shorter. False - stock ground clearance is 5.4 inches for all models

If you want a set of 2007 SS springs to play with, I have a set I can give you, just pay for shipping to you. That way you have a set that is cut and a set that is not cut.

Like Reply
Thanks for the info and the kind offer. We've got another set of springs already so we should able to experiment a bit.