Surging Idle Problems

askiles

Goblin Guru
Comparing my table to the stock tune, it is all the same until 7,500 RPM where he added a tiny bit to it. How is it our values are so different??

George

Goblin Guru
My car has stock supercharger, ported cylinder head, ported intake manifold, stage 2 cams 60# injectors and the mid length exhausted header.

Brad

askiles

Goblin Guru
My car has stock supercharger, ported cylinder head, ported intake manifold, stage 2 cams 60# injectors and the mid length exhausted header.

Brad
I have:

2.6” Pulley
Ported Supercharger
60# Injectors
Shorty ZZP Header

askiles

Goblin Guru
I loaded on a stock tune and it still surges.

When I cleaned my throttle body, I noticed that the nominal position for the throttle blade was partially open. Is this normal? I assumed so. Looking at pics it was where all other throttle bodies looked to be.

George

Goblin Guru
Try changing the mass airflow vs frequency make the number larger in the first 4 cells. besure to save the original settings. then after making the change save the new program with a different name may be add a 1 or an A etc.

Brad

askiles

Goblin Guru
Try changing the mass airflow vs frequency make the number larger in the first 4 cells. besure to save the original settings. then after making the change save the new program with a different name may be add a 1 or an A etc.

Brad
I can try that. Not sure it will do much, as the table starts at 1,500RPM. The idle issue is well below that. It’s worth a shot though.

I also loaded a tune from the repository and another member...also surging. I may need to take it to a shop that can smoke the intake just to ensure there is no leaks. Then I can be 100% certain it is a tune issue.

George

Goblin Guru
the 1500 is not rpm it is air mass meter frequency at 5300 the system switch over to the MAP sensor.

Brad

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I loaded on a stock tune and it still surges.

When I cleaned my throttle body, I noticed that the nominal position for the throttle blade was partially open. Is this normal? I assumed so. Looking at pics it was where all other throttle bodies looked to be.
Yeah, when it’s running, it should open a little. It’s normally closed when it’s not running. When you cleaned the throttle body, did you do the relearn procedure for the throttle position sensor? I had a high idle problem after I cleaned the TB on mine. Dunno if it’s related to your issue or not but thought I’d throw it out there.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Yeah, when it’s running, it should open a little. It’s normally closed when it’s not running. When you cleaned the throttle body, did you do the relearn procedure for the throttle position sensor? I had a high idle problem after I cleaned the TB on mine. Dunno if it’s related to your issue or not but thought I’d throw it out there.
The throttle body actually is partially open when not running. Just ever so slightly. It isn’t at zero degrees and fully closed. Also I did not know there was relearn procedure for the TB’s on our cars.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
This is what I had to do. I actually had to do it a couple times to get my high idle problem to calm down.

1) Start the engine and let it idle in park for 3 minutes. During that period the idle may be higher idle than normal.
2) After 3 minutes, turn the engine off and leave it off for 60- seconds.
3) Start the engine again and let it idle in park for 3 minutes one more time. During these run periods you may see a check engine light. Scan for codes and if you get throttle body related codes, clear them.
4) If the idle speed is still off, drive the vehicle at speeds above 44-mph and operate several acceleration and deceleration cycles. Then repeat step #3 one last time.

askiles

Goblin Guru
This is what I had to do. I actually had to do it a couple times to get my high idle problem to calm down.

1) Start the engine and let it idle in park for 3 minutes. During that period the idle may be higher idle than normal.
3) Start the engine again and let it idle in park for 3 minutes one more time. During these run periods you may see a check engine light. Scan for codes and if you get throttle body related codes, clear them.
4) If the idle speed is still off, drive the vehicle at speeds above 44-mph and operate several acceleration and deceleration cycles. Then repeat step #3 one last time.

Yeah I can’t do that, the engine won’t idle. Lol

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Any update? I wish I was closer and could help.

At this point, it may be worth putting the stock injectors in and tune to ensure its not that (if you haven't already)

I still think its got to be related to the vacuum somewhere. Are you sure your brake booster isnt leaking somewhere?

askiles

Goblin Guru
Any update? I wish I was closer and could help.

At this point, it may be worth putting the stock injectors in and tune to ensure its not that (if you haven't already)

I still think its got to be related to the vacuum somewhere. Are you sure your brake booster isnt leaking somewhere?
I have a smoke tester coming today, so I will be smoking the intake to see if there are any leaks. I am hoping there is!! That would be the easiest soluation. LOL I have already swapped in the stock injectors and a stock tune, no dice. Still the same issue. I have also swapped in many different tunes, same issues. So it has to be physical.

I do know it is not the master cylinder, I have capped off the vacuum port at the engine and it still had the issue.