Swaying issue.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I always think of a bicycle front wheel when thinking of caster...positive caster (the bicycle front wheel is forward of the handlebars/forks) is standard. If the front wheel would be behind the handlebars/forks, the bicycle would be VERY unstable...this would be negative caster.

Only way I can think of caster and it make sense...hope this helps!

Ken
A visual aid of what he said.
caster.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was thinking the very same thing as an example! They want to stay straight and are hard to turn as it actually has to lift the front end while turning.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Shorten the upper rear arm him joints and lengthen the upper front joint. Also you can do the opposite to the bottom arms. This pulls the top back and pushes the bottom forward.
Thanks, working on this right now. At 80+ my car jets left and right a bit. I am going to bring it in for an official alignment soon. I want to nail down the caster as close as possible first though. Just rechecked and I am 9.2 driver side and 8.3 passenger side. Im going to set them both even at 8.5. Do you know when you had your alignment done what yours ended up at?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Thanks, working on this right now. At 80+ my car jets left and right a bit. I am going to bring it in for an official alignment soon. I want to nail down the caster as close as possible first though. Just rechecked and I am 9.2 driver side and 8.3 passenger side. Im going to set them both even at 8.5. Do you know when you had your alignment done what yours ended up at?
That's probably not worth messing with other than getting them closer to the same. Ours is right around 8.

Goblin-SS

Hello all,

We finally got our Goblin street legal and are able to drive it.
We’re having issue with front swaying in speeds over 60 mph.
We had it professionally aligned. Car drives and handles fine when below 60 but as we speed up, 65-75, car’s front end becomes dangerously unstable.
any thoughts?
Have you fixed the issue your having? I think I'm having something similar.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Have you fixed the issue your having? I think I'm having something similar.
How low or high do you have the front end set to. I dropped my about as far as I can (without the spring cap falling out at full extension) and it made a world of difference.

Goblin-SS

How low or high do you have the front end set to. I dropped my about as far as I can (without the spring cap falling out at full extension) and it made a world of difference.
I'm spring caps will come lose if I Jack up the front end.

Amack1970

My df does the same thing. I hope to get a second thought on Wednesday when I have the alignment checked by a guy that runs alot of porsche race cars. This was my original print out. I've since toed the rear wheels in a little more and installed the factory SS sway bar thinking another part to hold the wheels in line. I'm still getting the tail wagging the dog feeling in the upper 70's. I haven't been over 80 yet because of this. My struts and lower control arms are brand new. Kinda wondering if the donar wheel bearings might be the issue. I've grabbed all four tires and wiggled them back and forth w/o and slop. Not really sure

Attachments

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I’ll say that mine felt exactly the same even after a professional alignment. When Lonny adjusted it a bit after I drove to Texas the goblin was solid up to 150.

I think the alignment shops screw the setting up somehow....

Nuker-

Amack1970

I'm half tempted to get my car in front of Lonny somehow. Fly him to Az or transport the car to him. Not sure

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
My guess on this is too much front toe. If you take that 33 degrees of total toe and convert it is comes out a close 5/16" of total toe.

My car aligned by myself has about 1/4" total toe or 1/8" each side. Both front and rear. Car is on rails at 65-70 I can let go of wheel and it tracks straight no sway at all. It however does not take much of a movement of the wheel to move the car around. I call it darty but I think that is the nature of these cars. The extended version should be slightly less darty.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Another thought.

My experience with anything with adjustable rear steer, and I've seen it someplace here on the forum as well, you have to make sure that there is zero flex at all connections in the rear. If there is any, and I mean any flex, everytime you transition from pulling to coasting, you will get rear steer which feels really wierd until your brain finally gets up to speed. I believe there were some guys that were running into this with worn out rear LCA bushings on Goblins.

GMC Denali were available with rear steer for a few years. A real hand full to drive when they start wearing out.

Same with a Grove At 750Screenshot_20190910-081711_Google.jpg

Can give you a real "poo your britches" kinda feel at higher speeds.

Christopher Sanchez

Mine drives straight and I can release the wheel going 80 down the highway. However under acceleration the car seems to sway a bit.. I have stock bushings in rear control arms and there is noticeable play when setting the parking brake and rocking the car forward and backwards.. for others just now building there cars I agree with others who say solid or polyurethanes are a must! The car will never feel solid with the play. From what I gather they are $300 and a pain to install but will eventually have to bite the bullet and get it done..

Ross

Goblin Guru
Mine drives straight and I can release the wheel going 80 down the highway. However under acceleration the car seems to sway a bit.. I have stock bushings in rear control arms and there is noticeable play when setting the parking brake and rocking the car forward and backwards.. for others just now building there cars I agree with others who say solid or polyurethanes are a must! The car will never feel solid with the play. From what I gather they are $300 and a pain to install but will eventually have to bite the bullet and get it done..
Mine were $67 for 2, with tax and shipping. I did have to press them into the aluminum swingarm.