Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

Turbopun

Howdy! I registered just so I could post here.

I called the number to the senator's office, and the friendly clerk/paige suggested I call the transportation committee.

512-463-0067

(committee webpage)

I did that, and again the very friendly person on the phone, explained that the companion bill was expected to be heard in two weeks.

So I take it that's a good thing?

Thanks for fighting the good fight!

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
So what happens if the Senate doesn't forward it to the Transportation Committee? I know you guys are running out of time for this legislative session.

Not trying to be Negative Nancy here. Just curious.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Howdy! I registered just so I could post here.

I called the number to the senator's office, and the friendly clerk/paige suggested I call the transportation committee.

512-463-0067

(committee webpage)

I did that, and again the very friendly person on the phone, explained that the companion bill was expected to be heard in two weeks.

So I take it that's a good thing?

Thanks for fighting the good fight!
That’s the word as of just a couple hours ago. Before that things were really not good, but our lobbyist setup a meeting with us and the house bill sponsor Rep Thomas. Things went well, we hope to have a committee hearing not this Wednesday but next. That’s super new info and subject to change.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
So what happens if the Senate doesn't forward it to the Transportation Committee? I know you guys are running out of time for this legislative session.

Not trying to be Negative Nancy here. Just curious.
No committee means It dies.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Scheduled for senate transportation committee hearing on Friday. It really looked like it wasn’t going to go through, just heard last night. Don’t have any more information that that right now

JSATX

Goblin Guru
We are through the senate transportation committee which has been a huge stumbling block in the last couple weeks.

I’ll be honest I had all but given up, it was that bad. But the committee meeting went exceptionally well and we should be scheduled for a floor vote in the next week or so. There is not expected to be any further difficulty and it should be headed to the governors office shortly!!

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
I wish ALL kit car owner/builders in Texas the very best of luck and fortuitousness in the proceeds of the legislative process in your fine state!

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think they will allow an Ariel Atom to be registered in Texas. If it says anything about not being design for on road use they are going to say it is a race car and not allow it. It has to be an assembled vehicle designed for on road use. (Kit car).

Bretter

Here is a sincere heart felt thanks for all of your efforts! Being here in Texas this has been a major issue for us and I have tried to do as much as I can when I can. Again thanks for all of your efforts and dedication to making it happen!

petroman

I don't think they will allow an Ariel Atom to be registered in Texas. If it says anything about not being design for on road use they are going to say it is a race car and not allow it. It has to be an assembled vehicle designed for on road use. (Kit car).
I reread hb 1755 and it looks like you are right that the atom won’t qualify, but not for the reasons listed. Seems like it won’t fit the written definition of an assembled vehicle because it wasn’t “put together by a person” and falls under code 2301. So it appears any “kit car” that is fully assembled and sold to customers are ineligible in Texas, from my understanding.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
This is all in flux at the moment. Atoms are absolutely something we intend to make legal, however the law is now written to where it’s the MANUFACTURER that makes the distinction of if their vehicle is designed for road use or not.

Previously it was the DMV that determined that, and it created all the problems.

So if Ariel says their atom is a track only vehicle, it wouldn’t be legal in Texas.

Also atoms can Be available as a “assembled vehicle” as they were originally imported with the engine separate from the chassis. It becomes more complicated because the dedicated Atom dealer in the states sells them as turnkey track vehicles. Most the atoms I know are registered in Montana anyway.