Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
The local dump/Landfill here in Florida has a scale to weigh vehicles with trash going in and then coming out empty. My Goblin came in at 1,500 Lbs. even.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I went to a CAT scale on beltway 8 & Antione. Although it is a requirement, I never had anyone question the weight. I assume as long as it does not exceed some limit like 10,000 lbs I doubt anyone will even care.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Just a reminder here in Texas. When you get to the registration process, DO NOT try to get a custom license plate at the beginning. Save that paperwork and process battle for a later date. Take the generic plate and let the rest of the paperwork go through. Since in Texas the license plate number is on the title, any problems with the custom plate request will hold up the title paerwork.

And THEN you can deal with the state to get your custom cool plate. Just not 2QUK4U, though.... :(

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Curious as how this all played out? I have been looking into what all will be required and I am here in TX, just want to be sure it was able to get registered! I may or may not know a guy that will make the emission test not an issue for me personally.
it’s my understanding there are now several Texas registrations. Not aware of any issues

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Curious as how this all played out? I have been looking into what all will be required and I am here in TX, just want to be sure it was able to get registered! I may or may not know a guy that will make the emission test not an issue for me personally.
If you can't register in TX, then you can always do the Montana route which seems to be the easiest method for most everyone now a days. FL technically allows Goblins, but getting inspectors to man (or woman) up to classifying it as a street vehicle instead of a dune buggy has been the most difficult challenge here. The last 4 or so kits to hit Florida will be going Montana route for ease.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
@Rttoys and I just got our one year renewals done.
Should be good unless you find some power hungry individual at the DMV that wants to make life hard.

Just don't try to get custom plates when registering. :0

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
@Rttoys and I just got our one year renewals done.
Should be good unless you find some power hungry individual at the DMV that wants to make life hard.

Just don't try to get custom plates when registering. :0
Yep. Renewed mine a week ago.

Some cat scales might be able to weigh that light. If not any scrap yard or anywhere that can give you a certified weight will work.

JSATX

Goblin Guru

Devonrex

How long did it take after you filed? Been about 10 days since I filed and no word back.
My issue was my time and getting my emissions cleared for an inspection. The process at DMV regional office took about an hour, as I walked out of the office with the DMV letter signed by the local manager. Then it took a couple of days to get the tax collector appt, but it only took about an hour to get the plates and registration. It took longer because they were trying to charge me full tax (~$900), they had to call the state controller to get clarification.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
That’s a different experience than everyone else. I’m glad, but now that raises more questions for Joebob since he’s still waiting.
It sure does.
What county or regional office did you go to? In Houston, they had a checklist for the package and stated that it had to go to Austin for approval. They took my name and number but gave me nothing back like a case number. Glad you could hand walk the whole process.

I did go to the local tax collector/assessor and got a 30 day permit, so I can at least drive legally to work out tuning and emissions if they come asking for it. Like my insurance, they were unsure what to call it so it is the donor year and make but the goblin VIN number.

Joe

Devonrex

It sure does.
What county or regional office did you go to? In Houston, they had a checklist for the package and stated that it had to go to Austin for approval. They took my name and number but gave me nothing back like a case number. Glad you could hand walk the whole process.

I did go to the local tax collector/assessor and got a 30 day permit, so I can at least drive legally to work out tuning and emissions if they come asking for it. Like my insurance, they were unsure what to call it so it is the donor year and make but the goblin VIN number.

Joe
I am in Houston (Meyerland). It may be too late for you but had my DMV appt. on Jan 27. I emailed Charlotte Kirk, to let her know I was coming in. She asked for me to email all the documents, so she reviewed them all the day of my appt. I had an old version of a form, so I corrected it two hours before. I followed JBINTX's list on page 13. They reviewed all forms and provided the letter, signed by Ms. Kirk.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Crap. I went there too and saw her in her office while 3 clerks were trying to figure it out. Guess I have to wait it out.

Joe

SACTX

Crap. I went there too and saw her in her office while 3 clerks were trying to figure it out. Guess I have to wait it out.

Joe
That's amazing. Your experience was more like mine and Dev's experience was more like Russel's and Jason's. It's been over a year and you'd think they'd all know what they're doing by now but I guess not.....

I think mine took a little over a week. Ms. Kirk called me to tell me that my paperwork was ready when they got it back.