Theeulogy's extended City frame - 06 SS/SC in WV

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Nice. Pretty soon it may be easier to disassemble off the lift because you'll be working on the suspension etc. Could be smart to go out of order and go ahead and get the gas tank while it's higher.

theeulogy

Trying to get all the lift work done this weekend so I can move it over on the floor Monday. Hoping to pull the engine early next week and finish up the rest of the dissasembly.
I was able to almost get the dash out today, so tomorrow I'll start pulling stuff underneath

theeulogy

No pictures from today's progress, but i was able to get the plastic dash cover out, and the exhaust and fuel tank off. The gauge on the fuel tank read empty, so I assumed it was correct. However it was clear full, so it was much heavier than I anticipated.

I also broke off my turn signal stalk taking off the plastic dash surround, but in case anyone does the same it is part number D6254E and available on Amazon.

Tomorrow I will move the Cobalt off the lift, and get ready to pull the suspension.

theeulogy

The last few days I have been working 12 hour days at work, so I have been chipping away at the disassembly about 2 hours a night. I got the engine pulled last night and tonight I sprayed the whole engine with simple green and hit it with the power sprayer.

What has everyone else done to clean their engine? I am also wanting to clean up the supercharger a bit, but not sure the best method.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I too tried a spay to get it all clean but to get it actually clean I've seen most people are using scotch bright pads and elbow grease, I'm in the same boat as you. My engine has a lot of white, salt like stuff all over it.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have heard that you should NOT use steel wire to clean the aluminum, after I had already used it myself. Something about inbedding the steel into the aluminum.

One of the other members here was going to use soda to blast it. I really like that idea as you can get into the nooks and crannies better and the soda won't hurt (much). Plug all holes and remove all electronics before doing so.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I took some of the pieces to a local machine shop that can blast and bake clean them, such as the intake and pump bracket.

SliderR1

I've been soda blasting all the aluminum pieces on my LSJ engine. I had issues with water in my air lines, but after building an aftercooler for the air compressor, the soda blasting has been working great. It doesn't get everything 'perfect', but its good enough to paint...

Here are some pictures:

Just getting started on the supercharger:
IMG_4154.JPG

Finished:
IMG_4155.JPG

Tony

Soda blasted my engine. I just used one of the cheap air line filters before the gun and didn't have an issue with water. Soda is good (vs sand/walnut/glass media) because it won't damage plastic or rubber parts, and if it does sneak into any cracks, it dissolves in water/oil/fuel, so it won't hurt anything.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Slider, that IS perfect as far as soda goes! Looks great! Soda will not etch the metal like the other abrasives do so you can't expect operating-room-clean. But that will be the best surface to paint the block if you wanted. I wish I would have thought of it early on and invested in it.

SliderR1

Thanks Chad - you are right about it providing a great surface to paint. I already experimented with painting a few other pieces that were blasted and it is coming out great.

If the soda blasting was just a little bit better at getting it perfectly clean - I wouldn't even bother with paint. Some of the pieces I've blasted look brand new.

I will also add that I started with a 13.5 bag of 'food grade' baking soda that someone gave me. It is a lot finer than the soda that is meant for blasting and doesn't work as well. HF sells 50 lb bags for like $40 and its been working great.

theeulogy

So today was the big cleaning day, I started with the typical 12 year old salt stained engine native to the area

I spent a few hours stripping the block of all the accessories and hoses, and BTW my 20 volt Dewalt impact wrech was able to pull the crank bolt with no problems

More cleaning......

and in the end after about 9 hours today I was able to get the valve cover painted today

I am wore out and fingers hurt from all the scotch brite scrubbing, but I am quite happy with all the progress I made today.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Looks good. What paint did you end up using on the valve cover? It also looks like you've got the old style chain tensioner, may want to swap it out.

theeulogy

I used Duplicolor Engine enamel with ceramic and the matching clear coat. The chain tensioner is definitely on my list of things to do, but I may not do it till fall when the Goblin goes up for the winter. Right now the goal is to get this thing up and running for the summer and enjoy it.

theeulogy

The last couple days I have only had a few hours a day to work on the Goblin, so I have spent them taking the last few items off of the donor and getting it loaded up on the trailer to scrap

Today I got the garage ready to do some work on the wiring this weekend, I made a couple tables out of some OSB I had lying around and cleaned up all the mess from stripping the donor.