Thoughts on 2006 SS/SC as donor?

devianteng

So new here, and have been a reading here for more than a year now. Finally starting to move on getting me a Goblin!

Looking local to me (central KY), I'm seeing a decent selection of 2006 SS/SC to choose from. Must have been a popular year/model, not sure. If I understand correctly, I wouldn't have VVT, but the SS/SC bottom end is the most built from the factory, and can get great performance with a bolt-on ZZP turbo kit, should I go that path (unlikely). I have my pick of different 2006 cars between $1500 and 3000, depending on if I want a driver or a parts car with body damage.

Alternatively, I can spend a bit more (around $6k) and get a SS/TC car, which I'm not opposed to. The one I can get is a driver in great shape, something I would drive as is until I get the stage 1 and 2 kits in hand. I'm planning on the extended track frame, and it'd mostly be used for street driving and some light drag racing. May try autocross if I can find something local, but not the reason I'm wanting to build this. I figure the SS/SC engine would be plenty of power, and I can always get the stage 2 ZZP kit (2.9" pulley, downpipe, 60# injectors, bigger heat exchange, etc) and run 93 octane and get some great power out of the car.

Is a 2006 SS/SC a bad choice, and should I look for a different year SS/SC, or should I just spend a little more and get a SS/TC? Also, if I went with a SS/SC, are there any other upgrades that would be a good idea?

Thanks!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I'm biased because we have a 07 SS/SC. Nothing wrong with the TC other than the plumbing is a bit more work. I would focus on the mileage of the engine first. Nothing wrong with the 06. There are a few updates you might want to do. One is the timing chain tensioner, update it! GM came out with a few different designs. There are plenty of bolt on power adders. You will not be disappointed with the power in this chassis!!! The Stage 2 is a good place to be for the money.

Also, don't worry about the body damage, you won't need any of it (unless it gets into the internals). Don't waste money throwing away a body. They aren't worth a thing.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
I agree with Chad... he has a great build or two. ;) Going with a stage 2 on mine as well and might get a ported SC with a LS4 throttle body. During the build you might want to put in a throttle body spacer giving you a port for meth or nitrous. I haven't seen anyone put this on a SC though. When you get the kit, start your build log and post often! It is great seeing the build process no matter how many different ones we look at! :p

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
In a world where the two donors are the same cost, I would prefer the turbo. All the power from the start, not many mods necessary. But, the SC SS donor is so much cheaper and I knew after building I'd like another project (such as making it faster) so I ended up with an SS SC and low miles. Not to mention the kit itself is 1k cheaper too.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
You can't go wrong with either an SC or TC. It's really a matter of personal preference. It's like arguing politics or religion.

Last edited:

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Similar to what others have said. Things that lead me to buy a SS/SC, was able to find a donor cheaper than the TC. Overall kit was cheaper. Lastly the most important factor what helped me choose between the SC vs TC, the supercharger whine.

Cant tell you how many times I've watched this video because of the supercharger whine, everyone that ask why I went SC vs TC I show them this video.

devianteng

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I was pretty sure I was gonna end up with a SS/SC, but wanted to make sure there wasn't a good reason to go TC. Frankly, modding and tuning after the Goblin is built is something I look forward to, so I feel the SS/SC may be the best choice for me. Plus...whine is sexy.

I actually talked to a guy about a 2006 SS/SC earlier today, and basically it's mine if I want it. He has it listed for $2k obo, but he and I have a trade worked out, so that's awesome.

Car itself is in pretty good overall shape. 134k miles, but it's currently not running. Said shortly after he got it, that he thinks it skipped time and bent a couple of valves. Removing the timing chain cover, could see there was slack in the chain, so that sounds legit to me. Said he had a shop replace the time chain, tensioner, etc, but now he thinks it has a couple bent valves. Compression test showed something like 180 on 2 cylinders, but 100 or so on the other two. Again, sounds legit to me. I know, I can probably find a running engine for less, but this gives me the opportunity to learn more about ecotec's and rebuild the top end before it goes in the kit car. Seems like a fun project.

Anyway, thoughts? Think I'm just wasting my time getting an engine that potentially has some bent valves, and hopefully nothing else wrong? Frankly, I'd like to replace the valves and get it running, and drive the car as is until I can get my frame and other parts in, just so I have a fun driver.

Love the feedback! I'm looking forward to starting a build log with LOTS of photos. Not gonna create that post until I have a donor car, and a clear path to ordering my frame.

Thanks!!!

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
$2K is a lot for an engine that doesn't run. I paid $1,680 at copart. Was able to drive the car even tho it was wrecked. Mine had 118K miles on it. I would offer him $1K for it or less. Maybe your trade deal will make it more attractive. Good luck in your search!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Hopefully the trade works in your favor as I agree with Jeff, that’s a steep price for a non-runner. I assume you have a good deal worked out with him. Because that car is basically worthless without the engine.

The engine is a great engine and the mileage is fine. Sounds like the old style chain tentioner allowed it to slip. Getting the head done should not be an issue. Hopefully there isn’t any damage to the pistons. It was going to need a new timing chain, gears and tentioner anyways. It will make a great solid powertrain when done.

devianteng

Appreciate the feedback!

To clarify, I am not paying $2k cash for the car. No way would I do that. When all is said and done, I won't have but maybe $1200 in the car as it sits. From what I was told, it has a new timing chain/tensioner/gears/whatever else is involved in the timing. I'm betting what happened is the timing tensioner broke, it jumped time, and one of the cams was out of time when the timing stuff was replaced, which caused 2 valves to bend. I figure this gives me a good chance to replace valves/springs/injectors and a few other things with upgrades that I would want to do anyway. Car also has a K&N CAI, new balance shaft, new water pump, stage 2 clutch (no proof on this one), SC was recently services (prior to jumping time and no longer starting), and a few other things non-engine related.

The big hope is that there is no piston damage! Just won't know until I get the head off. Was hoping to go pick it up today (about 2 hours away), but weather isn't the best today. May have to be tomorrow. Gives me a chance to make some room in my garage anyway, haha.

Once I have the car back home, I will be starting my build log. It will be a long one though, as I won't be ordering my frame and other parts until later this year after we move.

Anyway, updates will come. Promise!

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Honestly, I’d hold out. $2k is steep asking price for a non-running SS. If you think your trade is worth it, then good on you. I only paid $300 for mine (06 SS) after 3 months of searching and passing up a lot of crappy deals. There is no telling what else may be wrong or need replacing. These kids beat the living **** out of these cars. This project will eventually nickel and dime you to death. A solid, running donor that you can evaluate will make the build much easier. I’d also look for one with the MU3 transmission. Just my .02...

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Similar to what others have said. Things that lead me to buy a SS/SC, was able to find a donor cheaper than the TC. Overall kit was cheaper. Lastly the most important factor what helped me choose between the SC vs TC, the supercharger whine.

Cant tell you how many times I've watched this video because of the supercharger whine, everyone that ask why I went SC vs TC I show them this video.

This video is about 50% of the real world quality I too have watched it a lot but when I sat in mine and planted it OMG. I have owned a hayabusa, and S2000. My 05 SS/SC is much better sound it has the high pitch of the s2000 but the loud whine, and intake noise right behind your head. My average MPG is 14 so that is saying something.

devianteng

I picked up that 06 SS/SC today, and got it back home. All in, I have about $1250 in it as it sits on my trailer, and I think I did pretty good. Yes, it's technically not running, but the car otherwise is clean. Some dents in the driver door and some tears in the bolster of the driver seat, but neither of these things will matter once I start my Goblin build.

As far as the engine, it has a lot going for it. Several new things as listed above. Plan is to get it off the trailer tomorrow and into the garage so I can pull the head. Going to do some research for top end upgrades, such as the valves, valve springs, and cams. Figured this is a great opportunity to beef things up a tad in preparation fo a smaller pulley on the blower, larger injectors, and more. Going to drive and enjoy the Cobalt for the time being, and likely won't start my kit build until this fall. Long story short, we're renting right now, and the plan is to buy a house (or start to build) within the next few months. Once we get settled in a new place, then things will actually start happening. Going to start a build log now, even though it won't see too much activity, but I figure these forums are the best place to document my journey.

Thanks again, all!

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Nice! Good idea... getting the donor fully functional and putting some miles on it before doing anything else. If your investment to get it running is minimal, then it was a good buy.