Thoughts on a start only car?

Motoracer110

Hello all I’m getting geared up to get a build going. What is your thoughts with a doner car that says engine starts only? I figured if I need a new manual transmission they are about $400 or maybe needing a clutch. Correct me if I’m wrong but the car would not start if the timing belt broke?

Ross

Goblin Guru
True, it won't start with a broke timing belt. Sounds like a drive train issue. Can you confirm with the seller?
Try to track down the issue before you decide on the engine... it may be easier just to get a different donor car. Is there something special about this engine?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Welcome, see you are a new member. Please give us an introduction in the General Discussion section so others can welcome you and we can find out who you are, where you are located, and what your plans are for a car.

To answer your question, the Ecotec uses a timing chain. If the chain skipped teeth or is broken, the car will likely not start or run. If this happened when the car was running it likely caused some valvetrain timing issues and you may have bent valves or damaged pistons. If this is the problem, I would not try to start the car.

Motoracer110

Thank you all for the fast replies. I’ll be sure to introduce myself on the GD. The car is from Copart and out of state, but it’s a turbo which I am after. I feel like the prices are crazy with the confirmed run and drive cars and will only get worse as the df kits become more and more popular. Maybe I’ll see if I can get someone to inspect it

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I received my donor from Copart, bought is last week from El Paso - more info in my build thread. Short story, I bought it from the photos and a short discussion with Copart to ensure it had everything that I needed to satisfy my build requirements. Got it home and so far, so good and was exactly as I expected its condition to be.

If you need a car with a working engine and trans, it will be a little more expensive and harder to find 'just the right car for the right price'. If there is doubt about the functionality of the engine, look for another car - or find someone who has a TC engine for sale and don't overbid on the car with a non-functioning engine.

It took me a month to locate mine, and only then was I able to win the auction on the second time around when the first one did not pan out and the car was relisted a couple weeks later. Just for conversation - I may have the TC engine and F35 trans in my donor car to sell at some point, I still need to confirm it's full functionality (just got it home 2 days ago). I have a new crate TC engine and new F40 transmission I will be using in my build.

Communication with the forum members can help by trolling the local ads that you may not have visibility to. Adam and Lonny from the DF Team can also assist and my have something on hand in Red Oak.

Motoracer110

I received my donor from Copart, bought is last week from El Paso - more info in my build thread. Short story, I bought it from the photos and a short discussion with Copart to ensure it had everything that I needed to satisfy my build requirements. Got it home and so far, so good and was exactly as I expected its condition to be.

If you need a car with a working engine and trans, it will be a little more expensive and harder to find 'just the right car for the right price'. If there is doubt about the functionality of the engine, look for another car - or find someone who has a TC engine for sale and don't overbid on the car with a non-functioning engine.

It took me a month to locate mine, and only then was I able to win the auction on the second time around when the first one did not pan out and the car was relisted a couple weeks later. Just for conversation - I may have the TC engine and F35 trans in my donor car to sell at some point, I still need to confirm it's full functionality (just got it home 2 days ago). I have a new crate TC engine and new F40 transmission I will be using in my build.

Communication with the forum members can help by trolling the local ads that you may not have visibility to. Adam and Lonny from the DF Team can also assist and my have something on hand in Red Oak.
Thank you for the good info, HAHA I think i bid on that same car that you won in el paso if you dont mind how much did you end up getting it for? I was very new and tried the free account low bidding power. I now have better buying power and will probably pass on this upcoming auction for a better car.