Timing chain guide bolt

Indy Lonnie

When I had my Goblin dynoed, I asked what my next upgrade should be. The response was, "You have to change the timing guide bolt with the Dorman bolt." I guess this is the highest failure item on the Ecotec.
Its only ~$15
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-86802-917-954.aspx

Is it really this easy. Back it out and replace? Or do you have to take down the whole timing chain/tensioner system.

Anyone have experience with installing one without the bolt being broken?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I put one in. I had the whole timing chain out, but I think you can just back it out, and replace, just like the video said. Also replaced my early version cam chain tensioner with the latest model.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
There is a lower bolt holding the plastic guide like Ross stated you can remove bolt and replace. It is very common for that plastic guide to snap in pieces.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I just did an entire balance/cam timing kit with the Cloyes kit.

Are they saying it shears the bolt off or the plastic guide breaks? When I did my kit, the guides were replaced but the bolts were reused.

They have a much thicker "base" that the guide rests on compared to the threaded portion, I guess I could see that part shearing off under certain conditions.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, the bolt shears off, and that can lead to the plastic guide breaking. The Dorman bolt is much stronger than the stock bolt, and it uses threads that are on the cover plate, not on the head. It is a pretty easy fix, but expensive if you wait until the cam sprockets start hopping on the chain.

baustin

Wow, I'd only seen the info about replacement while doing other timing part repair/replacement. I really should plan on doing this when I get mine off the jack stands before I get serious miles on it.

Last edited:

MisterDave

Is this just as simple as unscrewing the old bolt and screwing this one in? I'm still debating replacing the timing chain. If this is so simple and I don't have to open up the engine I would go for it.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
It really is that simple. Many of the old bolts have snapped off in the block .. and even that isn't a problem. The new bolt doesn't even thread into the block like the old one, it simply screws in over top of it. Obviously you do have to remove the old bolt, but if it snaps off, no big deal.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
ZZP also has this replacement bolt for the timing chain guide. I has to order a throttle body harness adapter so I grabbed this also.
$12.99
IMG_20200312_180119.jpg

Indy Lonnie

I finally did this and it took less than 5 minutes. I'm glad I did because my bolt was loose and backing out. All it took was a 10mm allen, a normal 10 mm socket and a pair of needle-nose pliers to grab the bolt to pull it out. VERY EASY! I had a friend that had a Chevy Equinox with 80,000 miles drop this bolt and took out his engine. This is a must do...
IMG_4638.JPG
IMG_4639.JPG
IMG_4640.jpg

Last edited:

MisterDave

I finally did this any it took less than 5 minutes. I'm glad I did because my bolt was loose and backing out. All it took was a 10mm allen, a normal 10 mm socket and a pair of needle-nose pliers to grab the bolt to pull it out. VERY EASY! I had a friend that had a Chevy Equinox with 80,000 miles drop this bolt and took out his engine. This is a must do...
Thank you for posting these photos. I'm about to do the same thing, but I'm a little worried that the guide rail might move when I pull that bolt out. I'm guessing by your description nothing moved? No worries getting that bolt out without dropping it in the engine?

Indy Lonnie

The guide rail did not move... I don't think it is possible to drop the bolt in the engine. There is not a lot of room between the tensioner and the cover. I had all the same concerns you have. I sat on the part for 4 months now. Glad I did because mine was loose.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
This should be a must ask question of all the new guys to the forum! :)
I did not find the topic and thread for quite awhile here.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Good call on this. I did mine this weekend, just because and to my surprise, the bolt wasn’t even in the threads at all. It has been bouncing around, for who knows how long. :oops: The threads were chewed up and the cover also had marks from the bolt bouncing around in there. Saved an engine (hopefully) for less then $20.

Attachments

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Well it looks like I will be putting two of these in my Goblin.

My daughter has a Saturn with the 2.2 Ecotec. It has the old style tensioner and this bolt has not been updated. So I have the tensioner and instead of waiting on the guide bolt I will just take the one out of mine and put it in her car Then put the new one back in mine. Cant drive the Goblin anyhow the weather is crap this week .

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
My recommendation based on the amount of threads I have seen and my personal experience on both my engines is to replace this bolt at a minimum. In most cases the plastic guide has broken. To remove the valve cover and timing cover takes roughly 30 minutes. A lot of the balance shaft gears also discard some of the rubber around the edges which can cause problems down the road. Inspect guides and gears its a good peace of mind.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I just pulled the timing cover plug from one of the engines that we are using for our new build videos and the bolt is gone.
You can see it worked on the end of the plug for a while before finding its way down in the engine.