Tom's Turbo Goblin - 2008 SS Donor

TomsGarage

Hey guys, created this thread to document the build of my track frame goblin. For my car I knew that I would want a lot of power, coming from liter bikes in the past. A popular option is getting the standard cobalt for $500-$700, and then supercharging it for another $700. Rather than build up the standard motor, I decided to get the already stout LNF motor. I paid a little more, but the engine is well worth it.

The 2.0 LNF ecotec motor is a beast. It's been used in us spec Atoms and also the 999 Motorsports MK2 (http://www.999motorsportsusa.com/tag/gm-2-0l-ecotech-lnf-engine/). While the cobalt itself had some faults, the motor is fantastic. Unique LNF features, compared to the standard Ecotec motors include:
  • a twin-scroll turbocharger
  • cam-driven high-pressure gasoline direct injection fuel system
  • dual camshaft continuously variable valve timing
  • sodium-filled stainless steel Inconel exhaust valves
  • low-friction cast aluminum pistons with oil squirters
  • forged steel crankshaft
  • forged steel connecting rods
  • cast stainless steel exhaust manifold
Fairly mild build, 366whp: http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/dyno-results-170/366-5-whp-445-ftlbs-no-nitrous-time-stock-turbo-bolt-249304/

Not as mild build, 650whp: http://www.aforwardmotion.com/ecotec-powered-ariel-atom/

With just an exhaust, intake, tuned on E42 these put down over 350whp/420wtq, plenty for a car that weighs 1400lbs and should be very reliable. The 2008 donor that I purchased also has the 315mm 4 piston Brembo brakes and optional LSD.

------------
October 27, 2015

I just picked up a donor that will be used for a DF Goblin kit car. It is a 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS with 30k miles. It was totalled because of a rear end accident, perfect for this build. Other than the rear end damage it is a real gem and runs and drivers perfect. I'll be getting my frame in the second batch around the end of jan/mid feb. In the mean time I will start stripping my donor down to the required parts. End goal will be to have 300 RWHP in a ~1400 track/street legal weapon.

The car was purchased on Copart and I used A Better Bid as a Copart Broker. They charged $200 and also arranged shipping to AL to TX for $550. It ended at $2600 on CoPart and all said and done I paid around $3800 delivered at my door. I had listed it on uShip as well, but A Better Bid was able to secure the best rate since they are also a transportation broker. Shipping only took about a week and I highly recommend this broker.

Auction pictures:

Delivered in my garage!

Last edited:

TomsGarage

Next steps are to start stripping down the SS. I have a wedding coming up in 10 days so I won't be able to do much work until after the new year. I have also been looking at what wheels/tires I want to use. The large brembos on the SS means that the smallest you can run on the front is 17". I found a set of 18x9.5" Enkei RPF's with 275/35 Toyo tires that I am tempted to pick up. One concern that Adam brought up is getting enough heat in the large tires. I may go with a staggered set up with 17x8's with 235's in the front, and then 17x9.5/10 or 18x9.5/10 in the rear with 275's.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
You do realize you are going to have to carefully remove that window decal and put it on your Goblin? :p

I still can't get over how low the mileage is on your donor.

TomsGarage

Adam said:
You do realize you are going to have to carefully remove that window decal and put it on your Goblin? :p

I still can't get over how low the mileage is on your donor.
Haha that would be hilarious. Might actually end up doing that.

I'm excited about the donor too. I wasn't planning on getting it that easy but couldn't turn it down!

Jkean949

Something witty
Hey Tom, great job on the donor! My donor is the '08 SS as well, a bit worse for wear than your's though.

TomsGarage

Hey guys, wanted to post a quick update. I am almost finished stripping the entire car. I have cut off the front support beam and all that is left is to to remove the wiring harness and subframe with engine. Can't wait to get the frame and start building!

Also, selling old parts has been a great success, I have almost collected almost $2000 at this point! Hoping to get another $500 with the remaining parts which would put the net cost of the donor at about $1500!

TomsGarage

Gage said:
What parts have you been able to resell? Where are you selling them?
This is a list of what I have sold so far, through a combination of CraigsList and cobalt forums.

Front Seats
Rear Seats
Upper grille
Lower grille
Passenger and driver headlights
Rear axle
Rear brakes
Side skirts
Front Bumper
Driver Fender
Passenger Fender
Hood

I had someone interested in the carpet but unfortunately had thrown it out a couple days beforehand. Hoping to get someone to buy the doors because at this point there is not much left other than small trim pieces.

TomsGarage

My frame for my car just got built up. I took some screencaps from the webcam that they have set up and also had Adam send me some pictures. Also decided on Illusion Blue for the powder coat!

TomsGarage

And building on that, I kicked my tail into high gear to finish stripping my donor. Ended working till 4am on Saturday morning dropping the motor and removing any remaining hoses, tank, etc. All that remains at this point is dash assembly to release the rest of the wiring harness.

Very happy with how it's all turned out so far, all the parts look so clean!

TomsGarage

Time for an update! I picked up my frame from Adam about 2 months about and it looks awesome. Started a new job so I haven't had much time to work on it, but finally finished taking out the dash from the donor. The scarp body is ready to be hauled away finally!!