Tony's City Goblin - 2010 SS/TC

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Make sure your BCM power wire is plugged in. I got all those same symptoms when I forgot to plug mine in. But if your lights are working, then that's probably not it. If your data wires are shorted at the OBD-II connector, then that could definitely be a problem.

Tony

Make sure your BCM power wire is plugged in. I got all those same symptoms when I forgot to plug mine in. But if your lights are working, then that's probably not it. If your data wires are shorted at the OBD-II connector, then that could definitely be a problem.
Like I said, that's going to be my first "fix", but I was thinking that wouldn't make much different since it's the end of the "chain", after all the controls.

Tony

I went ahead and cut off the old burnt OBD2 connector and spread apart the wires (didn't put the new one on, only had a couple minutes), but no dice. This is the connector I was referring to.

Tony

Did a few minutes of troubleshooting yesterday. Checked my battery, it was just under 11.5V, so too low, but I switched it out for a battery that read 12.7V without any change, so I don't think that's the problem. The security light doesn't actually stay on for very long, it goes off almost immediately when I turn the key on, then comes back on for about 3 seconds when I try to crank before going back out. I can actually hear a relay clicking when I try to crank, which I would guess is the starter relay, but it doesn't try to crank at all. I've double and triple checked all the grounds I have, though that's not saying I'm not missing one. I'm a bit stumped at this point.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I think this has been asked before but What exactly is on your dash at this point? Can you scroll though the display and see water temp etc? Does your fuel gauge read correctly?

And yes there is one small relay on the bottom side of the fuse box which clicks with the key regardless of communication or things not being hooked up. I spent a lot of time on that, and removed every removable relay but it still clicked so I wouldn’t get sidetracked with that.

Tony

Not sure if the fuel gauge is correct, since there's no fuel in the tank, and I don't have buttons hooked up to scroll through. The display shows "low coolant".

Tony

Low coolant would indicate you don’t have communication. Unless it’s actuly empty.
It is. I actually haven't quite connected all the plumbing yet. I wanted to finish electrical first, so I can get it wrapped and out of the way.

Do you have this ground hooked up?
Is that on the headlight harness plug? If so, then I don't. That block isn't even installed in the fuse box... I didn't even think of that being an issue for anything engine-related.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
It is. I actually haven't quite connected all the plumbing yet. I wanted to finish electrical first, so I can get it wrapped and out of the way.

Is that on the headlight harness plug? If so, then I don't. That block isn't even installed in the fuse box... I didn't even think of that being an issue for anything engine-related.

That is part of the headlight harness. It must be grounded. That has tripped several people up.

Tony

That's good to know. If it's something that simple, I'll be more pleased than ashamed for overlooking it o_O

Tony

Installed and grounded the headlight harness block, but it had no effect. Still getting the same security light pattern, no crank (but can hear the relay), no fuel pump. Any other advice? I'm pretty much at a loss.