Toyo R888R - Okay with assymmetrical?

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
I was replacing the Toyo R888 tires on P2 with the newer Toyo R888R. From the images, you can tell that the R888R is an asymmetrical tire so I assumed I would get lefts and rights.

to_proxes_r888r_pdpcrop[1].jpg

Unfortunately, the tires don't come in lefts and rights. You use the same tire on both sides so the dramatic tread pattern is reversed on the passenger side.

r888r one backwards.jpg

On a standard, full-bodied car I might be able to overlook this oddity (probably still wouldn't like it) but on an open-wheel car it is going to be very obvious and I'm afraid of all the comments I will get about the tire being backwards, on the wrong side, etc.

Other than that, the Toyo R888R is a nice looking tire and is a good price for a 100 treadwear tire. I think I'm going to go back to the R888 though.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I was replacing the Toyo R888 tires on P2 with the newer Toyo R888R. From the images, you can tell that the R888R is an asymmetrical tire so I assumed I would get lefts and rights.

View attachment 811

Unfortunately, the tires don't come in lefts and rights. You use the same tire on both sides so the dramatic tread pattern is reversed on the passenger side.

View attachment 812

On a standard, full-bodied car I might be able to overlook this oddity (probably still wouldn't like it) but on an open-wheel car it is going to be very obvious and I'm afraid of all the comments I will get about the tire being backwards, on the wrong side, etc.

Other than that, the Toyo R888R is a nice looking tire and is a good price for a 100 treadwear tire. I think I'm going to go back to the R888 though.
That would pretty much drive me crazy. Isn't the whole point of those treads to clear water from the center?? It's almost like it would be channeling water towards the center on one side.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
That would pretty much drive me crazy. Isn't the whole point of those treads to clear water from the center?? It's almost like it would be channeling water towards the center on one side.
Yep. So if you ever did hit water (which, to be fair, I don't think you are supposed to ever do with these) one side of the car would clear water and the other would get up on top of the water.

I'm returning the tires and getting R1R tires like the ones on the turbo car except that they are 205/50-15 and 225/45-16.

Tony

I was wondering about this... The last couple weeks, I've tried to snag some R888s in 245/45-16 before they're all gone, because I didn't think the R888r came in 245. I wasn't able to get any, but I was informed that the R888r will come in 245, just not available on TireRack yet. Adam, have you spoken with Toyo to make sure that there aren't left- and right-sided patterns available? I'm wondering if maybe you just got two of the same by accident. This was kinda my top option and I don't really know what other tire I'd go with at this point... 245s just aren't very common in a 16...

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Yeah, If you contact Toyo they confirm this is correct. Several people on various forums saying the same thing. Kinda stupid.

Nuker-

I was wondering about this... The last couple weeks, I've tried to snag some R888s in 245/45-16 before they're all gone, because I didn't think the R888r came in 245. I wasn't able to get any, but I was informed that the R888r will come in 245, just not available on TireRack yet. Adam, have you spoken with Toyo to make sure that there aren't left- and right-sided patterns available? I'm wondering if maybe you just got two of the same by accident. This was kinda my top option and I don't really know what other tire I'd go with at this point... 245s just aren't very common in a 16...

Tony

Well that's ridiculous. I was really glad to see just yesterday that they were available in the size I want... now I'm back to not knowing what tire I want to run... the only other options in 245/45-16 are well over $200 each.

GingerAle

Hey Adam, if you're going to switch back to R888 there's this 25% off offer I found at 4WheelOnline for Toyo R88 Tires.