Track Day Monster 2009 SS/TC Track Frame

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Small problem. The passenger side CV axle is not compressing enough to attach the hub to the knuckle. The inner joint seems to be the problem. The driver side inner joint is about .25 inches (3.75 vs 4 in) more compressed than the passenger side, and overall the pass axle is also that much longer.
View attachment 4284

(Sorry I know the pictures suck but I don't have 3 hands haha)

Are you absolutely sure the axle is pushed in all the way? I can't see it in your photo, but I didn't have my driver side in all the way when I first built it. I even took a large hammer and pounded on the end of it and it wouldn't budge, but when I pulled it out and slammed it back in, it went in another .5"-.75"!!! They should fit.

dperkins

I took it out to inspect it, but from the pictures I took from the donor it *looks* all the way in. I'll see when I push it back in.

George

Goblin Guru
I remember seeing a picture of your axles hanging down at an odd angle. Pull the inner boots back and make sure a trial roller did not fall out of place

Brad

RichRich

I had to replace both of my axles, they were too long, wasn't crazy long but still like 3/4" I think its just an 09 SS thing. I got them off rockauto for like 60 a piece or something. can look them up and let you know for sure if you want to be sure they will fit

RichRich

I didn't remember any gap like that so I went out to look at it and there isnt any spacer. I don't remember it being off at all when building, I think I would remember a gap like that
20180629_154042.jpg

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
After we pull them from the weld jig they draw up as the weld cools.

It takes very little effort to move it over you can probably get it close by pushing on it with your hands.

When you tighten everything up it will put them in the proper position.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I had to replace both of my axles, they were too long, wasn't crazy long but still like 3/4" I think its just an 09 SS thing. I got them off rockauto for like 60 a piece or something. can look them up and let you know for sure if you want to be sure they will fit
Can you post a part number? Just in case mine won't work either.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
There we go! The problem was (of course) a ground connected to the intake manifold. It had an extremely crappy connection, and rewiring it fixed all the problems. Unfortunately, my gas gauge still doesn't work.
Did you ever get the gauge to work?

dperkins

Quick Update

Hey all,
Sorry for my sudden disappearance and lack of updates for the past few months. I was dealing with a lot of other things thrown at me and lost interest in building the car for a little while as well. Now I am back and ready to complete the car (hopefully lol). Currently, I am working on re-routing the exhaust to make it lighter and shorter. Dont't have any pictures at the moment, but I'll take some after I finish welding them. That's all I have for now but the bottom line is I am back :)