Track Day Monster 2009 SS/TC Track Frame

dperkins

Got them all in! I made sure all of them and the rings were correctly aligned. I took one of the ones I put in out and inspected it. Could barely see any scrapes, there was one but it was micro :(. I think all of them are ok (knock on wood). I spun the crank by hand, and it seems very smooth which is good. The only thing I am really worried about now is the rings butting, but I used my feeler and made sure all of them were the correct calculated size + a small bit to account for my inaccuracy.

IMG_2362.JPG

I have a small confession to make :p:

Recently my workload has been increasing exponentially, and I have had less and less time for this, so I have assigned a new helper to work on/finish the project. Most of this engine stuff I assigned to my 15 yo son (Daniel), who did all of this pretty much by himself. I know he loves mechanical engineering, and this was a good chance for him to learn about engines. From here on out, he will be taking over, and I can only help a little bit.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I couldn't think of a better project for 15 yr old!
I mean the incentive alone will help keeping the project moving forward. Getting to drive a 400+hp Goblin with your learners permit! (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
I know I would have been all over that at his age.

dperkins

Hi guys! Daniel here, quick update:

IMG_2376.JPG

Got the head, injectors, water pump, balance shafts, 1/2 of the timing chain installed, intake cams + rockers, and a few other things.

IMG_2378.JPG

I'm just using the old rockers because I am guessing they don't ever need to be replaced...

-Daniel

dperkins

I just now realized how behind I am on the updates. I was gone the whole last weekend at Austin to watch the F1 GP. I was going ask if I could pay a visit to Adam, but I couldnt because of time restrictions. Since I was up tonight for the iPhone preorder, I might as well do this too.

Got pretty much all of the engine built back up. I forgot to put on the stage two lash adjusters on and I had to take the cams back off. I painted the valve cover red, so that is ready to go back on. The rest of the parts to finish the engine and tranny will be coming tomorrow (minus the turbo), and I can say Im done with the engine.

Ill update with pics tomorrow, I need to sleep :D

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I just now realized how behind I am on the updates. I was gone the whole last weekend at Austin to watch the F1 GP. I was going ask if I could pay a visit to Adam, but I couldnt because of time restrictions. Since I was up tonight for the iPhone preorder, I might as well do this too.

Got pretty much all of the engine built back up. I forgot to put on the stage two lash adjusters on and I had to take the cams back off. I painted the valve cover red, so that is ready to go back on. The rest of the parts to finish the engine and tranny will be coming tomorrow (minus the turbo), and I can say Im done with the engine.

Ill update with pics tomorrow, I need to sleep :D
You could have swung by for a drive! I live 20 minutes west of COTA. Hamilton crushed it out there.

dperkins

Here's some pictures I promised:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Tranny fully in. Waiting on the turbo and some TTY camshaft bolts. When that's done I will be finished with the engine (hopefully:cool:) and when my kit gets here I will be ready to go.
image.jpg

I decided my valve cover should be classic red. I used some o Reilly's high heat paint and then baked it on with a homemade oven using a cardboard box and a heat gun. Seems very hard. I think it will hold up.

I dont know what color I should paint the car. I am thinking I should either do a white frame with white wrapped fiberglass parts and some blue accents like the blue accents on a Agera R...
IMG_3143.PNG

This would be completed with some black rims that I could plastidip white.

The other option I am considering is a space grey, either metallic or a battleship grey. I would then wrap the Fiberglass in a white, grey, black, blue, and pink camo, like this.
IMG_3144.JPG

Wheels would be black, along with the wing, fuel tank, floorboards, and firewalls along with a few other bits.

Any suggestions? I will probably wrap my daily driver the same color scheme as the goblin just to match:p

dperkins

Still waiting on the turbo from ZZP...

In other news, does anyone have a link for the TTY bolts that go on the camshaft gears? I bought the wrong ones on accident and can't find any links to the right ones.

Johvans

Which turbo did you get from ZZP?

I'm still waiting on mine as well. Apparently "in stock" isn't reality with them.

John

dperkins

Found a person to come and take the frame. They will chop it up in my driveway and haul it off. Anything left I should take off before it departs?
IMG_3097[1].JPG

IMG_3101[1].JPG

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Drew, do you have any updates on your build? To other builders too, post as many clear hi res pictures (unlike mine) as possible. It is awesome to see the different builds!

dperkins

Sorry for the extended leave, but I'm back! My frame was delivered on Feb 2nd at noon. I wasn't personally there for the delivery but my mom said it was a huge pain to get the frame out of the back of the truck it came in. All the parts came and they look great. I am sending off both the frame to be powder coated some metallic color (probably blue) and I am wrapping the fiberglass the pink and blue camouflage I showed a few posts up. Is there any word on the custom rigid transmission brackets DF are making?

IMG_3954.JPG

dperkins

Also, quick thanks to BlackDogs for helping me out with the emissions problem. Turns out I do not need an EVAP or even a cat for that matter. I could say it's a replica of a lotus 7 and have the vehicle smogged as a '57, so emissions testing would not be needed.

dperkins

Quick update:

The frame has been shipped off to be powder coated! So far I am only coating the subframe black and the frame a metallic blue, a little darker than the 488 and a little brighter than the 612 scaglietti. I was going to do a full mock up, but I decided against it. I want to try this stuff called liquid powder coat and try to cure it with a heat gun for the smaller bits. Has anyone tried this? I have a hot enough heat gun, I just don’t know how long I would have to set it for. Anyone think that this wouldn’t work? Here’s a quick picture of the frame on the trailer, ready to be shipped off:
88E12C9C-9461-4D9B-B465-307A61DA6825.jpeg