Track Day Monster 2009 SS/TC Track Frame

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Is that stuff designed for touch up or is it a full fledged powder coat system that uses a liquid to apply instead of a static charge?

You need a temp like 400 degrees or so for powder coat to cure, right? Your heat gun might get hot, but I'm not sure it will have enough BTUs behind it to get it up to temp. Remember the heat will dissipate through the entire frame.

George

Goblin Guru
I have used Liquid powder, I used a spray gun with a 2mm nozzle. Picked up and old oven to bake it in.
The part has to maintain 400F for 12 minutes. The over spary gets on every thing but may be I was using to big of gun.
If you miss some spots just shoot it again and re bake.

Brad

dperkins

Is that stuff designed for touch up or is it a full fledged powder coat system that uses a liquid to apply instead of a static charge?

You need a temp like 400 degrees or so for powder coat to cure, right? Your heat gun might get hot, but I'm not sure it will have enough BTUs behind it to get it up to temp. Remember the heat will dissipate through the entire frame.
I have used a lower power heat gun + a cardboard box to bake some paint on. It got to about 200 degrees, and that gun has maybe 1/2 the power of this one. I think you can use it for both touch up and a full paint. I will only be doing very small parts, and I don't *plan* on having to do it on the frame.

I have used Liquid powder, I used a spray gun with a 2mm nozzle. Picked up and old oven to bake it in.
The part has to maintain 400F for 12 minutes. The over spary gets on every thing but may be I was using to big of gun.
If you miss some spots just shoot it again and re bake.

Brad
Can I apply this with a paintbrush? Just like by mixing it and brushing it on evenly? I have a paint gun, I just don't really want to go through the hassle of setting up the gun and spray station again.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm curious about this because powder coating one or two parts that you forget about or can't otherwise do in a batch is a real PITA. Some applicators around here have a $50 minimum.

dperkins

I'm curious about this because powder coating one or two parts that you forget about or can't otherwise do in a batch is a real PITA. Some applicators around here have a $50 minimum.
I will definitely let you know if it works. I have a few things that I know can be coated to make it look better, so I will hopefully start in the next few weeks with this.

George, what liquid coating did you use? I see a 1 pint bottle for $30 on powderbythepound.com. Have any recommendations?

George

Goblin Guru
I used the product from Techline coatings. Used a food scale to the amounts correct and a blender.
The bullet blender would be a better chose than the full size blender I started with. The powder settles out
quickly so you need to keep reblending. I did not try a brush you will need a fine bristle brush.

Brad

dperkins

Just bought rims! I chose Konig Oversteers. 16x7.5 (OS67514405) for the fronts, and 18x9 (OS89514225) for the rears. Any problems here anyone can see (Offset, width, size, ect). I will probably be going with R888r's. I just want to make sure I have at least 9 inches in the rear, but also not make it too tall of a tire. I like the RPF1s, but I dont like the looks.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Just bought rims! I chose Konig Oversteers. 16x7.5 (OS67514405) for the fronts, and 18x9 (OS89514225) for the rears. Any problems here anyone can see (Offset, width, size, ect). I will probably be going with R888r's. I just want to make sure I have at least 9 inches in the rear, but also not make it too tall of a tire. I like the RPF1s, but I dont like the looks.
Congrats. Ordering wheels / big items feels fulfilling. You actually made me think though. I've got Enkei M52's, which look really similar to the wheels you just bought (and I really like). But, 2 are completely trashed so I was not sure what to do...Maybe I should stick with 5x110, and just order some 2 16s for the front......decisions.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Congrats. Ordering wheels / big items feels fulfilling. You actually made me think though. I've got Enkei M52's, which look really similar to the wheels you just bought (and I really like). But, 2 are completely trashed so I was not sure what to do...Maybe I should stick with 5x110, and just order some 2 16s for the front......decisions.
Well, not even 1 minute later. I see that they dont make the 5x110 in anything other then the 18's, and I feel like if I am going to change the bolt pattern...I might as well just go with 4x100. We'll see.

dperkins

Well, not even 1 minute later. I see that they dont make the 5x110 in anything other then the 18's, and I feel like if I am going to change the bolt pattern...I might as well just go with 4x100. We'll see.
I would go with the 4x100s. I haven't seen many 17s in 4x100, but there are many 16s and 15s with that pattern. If I didn't need the extra inch of width in the rear to support all the power I am pushing, I would totally go with 15x7 and 16x8 in 4x100.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
That's what I found also. If you are looking for 18" or larger, you can find many of them in the 5x110 but they are much more expensive overall. For the 17" or less you can find quite a few for the 4x100 pattern and much less expensive. I found some good 17x8.25 for the 4x100 which is one of the largest sizes for the 4x100 pattern.

I spent hours researching the wheels and tires. I had to walk away a couple of times before I finally made a decision. Settled on the 17" all the way around. Kaleb helped me pick out the combo.

dperkins

My tires arrived! Not sure if I have said on this thread yet, but I chose Toyo R888Rs. 225/45/r16 for the fronts and 265/35/r18 for the rears, and wow, they are quite wide. The rears are nearly 12 inches wide with a 11 inch contact patch. Turns out the fenders are too skinny to accommodate the rears, so I will have to try some modifications. Dont even know if I will use them, but I will try.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was going to do almost exactly what you did with tires. I wanted 18s on he rear and 16s on the front but could not find wheels wide enough for the rear that also came in width appropriate for the front. You might run into clearance issued in the rear with the strut bracket for the stabilizer bar.

Still waiting on my tires to arrival. Ordered them through Jegs, cheaper that TireRack since they included shipping.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
My tires arrived! Not sure if I have said on this thread yet, but I chose Toyo R888Rs. 225/45/r16 for the fronts and 265/35/r18 for the rears, and wow, they are quite wide. The rears are nearly 12 inches wide with a 11 inch contact patch. Turns out the fenders are too skinny to accommodate the rears, so I will have to try some modifications. Dont even know if I will use them, but I will try.
Show off those new shoes, pictures. Please:)

dperkins

I was going to do almost exactly what you did with tires. I wanted 18s on he rear and 16s on the front but could not find wheels wide enough for the rear that also came in width appropriate for the front. You might run into clearance issued in the rear with the strut bracket for the stabilizer bar.

Still waiting on my tires to arrival. Ordered them through Jegs, cheaper that TireRack since they included shipping.
Even with a 22 offset there could be clearance issues??

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have 8.25" rins and they are close but not too bad. The tires I ordered, but haven't received yet, are a 235 which is not as wide as yours but may be even closer than the rims. Too early to know for sure. Not saying you are going to run into issues, just that I was worried about mine and yours are even wider.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Don’t both of you have the coil overs? I think coil-overs give you more room, there’s no way 265 would fit on stock struts unless it was 0 offset wheel.