Trouble w/ F35 '06 SS/SC Passenger's Side Axle - HELP!!

askiles

Goblin Guru
Hey guys! No matter what I have tried, I cannot get the axle off of the intermediate axle that bolts to the block of the engine. I have whacked the CRAPOLA out of it, and still nada. It is frustrating. Have any of you had this same issue? If so, what did you do? I would like to replace the whole axle with a new one, but if I need to I suppose I will just rebuild this one with the intermediate shaft on it. HELP!! Thanks!!

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Take the two bolts out of the two keepers. Should come right out. I cleaned our up and replaced the bearing in there.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Take the two bolts out of the two keepers. Should come right out. I cleaned our up and replaced the bearing in there.
That retainer is just for the bearing. It doesn’t hold the axle in. I took it off and it was no different. No matter, I will just rebuild the axle in place and call it a day.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I spent about two hours hammering on an axle to get it out of a intermediate shaft. The axle I had to remove was broke so it had to come apart. When I finally got it free I found that it was dry and rusted. That area has no oil being introduced to the splines so over time they rust together.

I would suggest pulling the intermediate shaft from the engine and transmission then stand it up against a wall with the axle pointing up. For several days or weeks spray some penetrating oil into where the splines go into the intermediate shaft and let it soak while you tackle other parts of the donor.

After I got it to move a little I had to spray some more penetrating oil on the splines and hammer it back together. Each time it would move a little farther as it work the oil in.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Ah yes! You are right, that only holds the bearing. I do remember it being dry and rusty, but ours was not stuck that I remember. It seems much like the steering shaft where it too gets stuck over time.

I used reasonable amount of heat on the steering shaft after soaking it with penetrating oil. This was is hope to get it to expand some. You don't want it cherry red with the oil. Does make for a stinky mess when heating it.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
It may be worth going finding something like this (advance auto parts may rent it)....I have pretty long pry bars from harbor freight that I likely used. if you could put something like the picture, or even two regular pry bars on one side then put some type of wood on the other side of the pry bar you might get enough leverage to slide it out. If you could somehow use two (one at top and bottom) that would likely help with sliding it out.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the replies guys. In the end I think I am just going to replace the boots with new ones, grease up the joints, and call it a day. It’s all in decent condition minus the broken boots.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I would probably do the same thing but it you ever have an axle failure you will wish you got it a apart now especially if you are on a trip somewhere.

You can let your decision soak in for a while and while your waiting you can let penetrating oil soak in too. Lol

askiles

Goblin Guru
I would probably do the same thing but it you ever have an axle failure you will wish you got it a apart now especially if you are on a trip somewhere.

You can let your decision soak in for a while and while your waiting you can let penetrating oil soak in too. Lol
You do have a good point!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Andy,
Did you ever get your axle apart? I'm having the same issue, but am trying Lonny's suggestion to stand the whole thing up in a corner and soaking it with PB Blaster every day. Have been at it for over a week and it has not yet budged. If this doesn't work soon, I will be trying Chad's suggestion to hit it with some heat and see if that will work.

Second issue is the intermediate steering shaft. I drilled out the staked spot on the shaft, but it too will not come apart. It goes in further with a little persuasion, but now I am a 1/2 inch further from getting it apart. Not sure that penetrating oil will help this, since several others have tried this to no avail. Sounds like the only things that work for this is heat it or using brute force. Will be trying the brute force method first.

Let me know what your tricks may have been. Thanks.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Andy,
Did you ever get your axle apart? I'm having the same issue, but am trying Lonny's suggestion to stand the whole thing up in a corner and soaking it with PB Blaster every day. Have been at it for over a week and it has not yet budged. If this doesn't work soon, I will be trying Chad's suggestion to hit it with some heat and see if that will work.

Second issue is the intermediate steering shaft. I drilled out the staked spot on the shaft, but it too will not come apart. It goes in further with a little persuasion, but now I am a 1/2 inch further from getting it apart. Not sure that penetrating oil will help this, since several others have tried this to no avail. Sounds like the only things that work for this is heat it or using brute force. Will be trying the brute force method first.

Nope. It never came apart. I ended up buying a different one with the bearing replaced. The other is trash.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Where did you find the TC axles? I have been looking for them - just in case - and cannot locate the 'thick' turbo axles, only the 'thin' SC axles.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Photo comparison. The top axle is the turbo axle, it is approx. 1 5/16 inches in diameter. The bottom is the Sport/supercharged axle, it is approx. 1 1/16 inches in diameter. You are correct the SC axles are stout, but when you put the 2 next to each other the size difference becomes pretty obvious.

Every place I have tried, who 'confirms' they are selling the Sport/SC axles as turbo axles - nope. If I eventually find some place that still has the turbo axles I will post for everyone. But in the meantime, I have to get my original axles separated.

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru

I don't recommend the brute force. Others have damaged the u-joints doing that. Did you see my post about it a while back. Heat did the trick and it doesn't have to be cherry red, just too hot to touch and lots of lube. Do it outside, it gets pretty stinky inside. I did protect the u-joints by placing blocks of wood and did tap it firmly with a hammer to get it moving. Once it started moving, it didn't take long with more spray lube and heat.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I don't recommend the brute force. Others have damaged the u-joints doing that. Did you see my post about it a while back. Heat did the trick and it doesn't have to be cherry red, just too hot to touch and lots of lube. Do it outside, it gets pretty stinky inside. I did protect the u-joints by placing blocks of wood and did tap it firmly with a hammer to get it moving. Once it started moving, it didn't take long with more spray lube and heat.

I gave up. I just bought a new one. It was much easier. Lol