Turbo fuel pump orientation

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Using pliers you can twist and pull the two steel rods out of the top. Turn the top 180 degrees and reinstall the rods.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Worked perfect! Just a note for some who are going to do this, one of the steel rods will come out of the top. The other has the pinch of the bottom which keeps it in place. Once you reposition the pins push down to get them started and make sure they are even once complete.
IMG_20181017_182504.jpg
IMG_20181017_182452.jpg

Last edited:

Christopher Sanchez

Worked perfect! Just a note for some who are going to do this, one of the steel rods will come out of the top. The other has the pinch of the bottom which keeps it in place. Once you reposition the pins push down to get them started and make sure they are even once complete. View attachment 5555View attachment 5556
So why is it necessary to rotate the fuel pump 180 degrees? The SS fuel pumps have the one hose aimed straight up, is it simply to move your fuel pump harness away from the engine? Also being that the fuel tank is different and is now secured with bolts rather than the ring using tension to hold it in the fuel tank, what is keeping the fuel pump from falling into the tank? IDK if i am missing something or if my fuel pump assembly is broken cause the steel rods do not hold the assembly while springs are in place. Can i remove the springs?

Jlarson524

Not sure why it needs to be turned 180 degrees but I had Alex and Lonnie do that. The pump will fit inside the tank you just need to push it a little. The springs will give and it will fit nicely in the tank.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You rotate it so the float will have room to move up and down. I believe if it's pointing to the outside, it may get hung up on the walls.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I don't think there is an orientation for the TC fuel pump that doesn't interfere with either the walls or the baffle inside. I had to tweak my float. Or you can do what Lonny mentioned which is probably the best way.

RichRich

I turned mine, I originally installed without turning it thinking there would be just enough room but I can assure you that it will hang up. Not at first, but just one day your gauge will continuously read empty no matter how full your tank is and you will have to remove it and do it. Honestly it is very easy and it's what I should of done in the first place but I thought it would work, it is so close but just not quite enough

RichRich

I'm not running a 2nd filter either, just the filter inside the pump. I've seen 1 or 2 builds add one but GM designed it without one so I ran with how they designed it. I think the member Brian1177 added one to his

Brian74

Goblin Guru
With the proper orientation of the pump, which way do the fuel line fittings point coming out of the tank?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
There isn't one that I'm aware of. The orientation that caused the least interference with the fuel level arm was pointing the arm towards the front corner. I still had to tweak my arm. There is no getting around it interefereing if you don't either tweak it or do what Lonny mentioned.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I’m just wondering if it can be oriented with the line fittings going towards the center or rear of the car. I plan to build custom braided lines, but I need to route my lines preferably to the center.

aaronbuley

I turned mine, I originally installed without turning it thinking there would be just enough room but I can assure you that it will hang up. Not at first, but just one day your gauge will continuously read empty no matter how full your tank is and you will have to remove it and do it. Honestly it is very easy and it's what I should of done in the first place but I thought it would work, it is so close but just not quite enough
Thx for the heads up.

Amack1970

Does anyone actually have a picture of the pump turned in the correct position? Theres alot of turning talked about, but no image of the way the pump actually sits in the tank. Which way does the fuel point after the pump has been clocked

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Does anyone actually have a picture of the pump turned in the correct position? Theres alot of turning talked about, but no image of the way the pump actually sits in the tank. Which way does the fuel point after the pump has been clocked
I know this is old, but I just went through this and have some pictures to accompany the process to make the re-positioning a but more intuitive. Once you know what's required, it's 'easy' but there's still a risk of pulling out the wiring or cracking plastic pieces - so patience and care are necessary.

I wouldn't recommend using pliers to pull the tubes out, one of the tubes is crimped and it's **** near impossible to know which one without putting the wiring and other plastic pieces at risk. Plus, to pull the tube out with it crimped requires the force necessary to remove King Arthur's sword - and you don't need to work that hard.

First, see the tabs that surround the pump on the outside - unlatch these. Use the springs to your advantage by just pulling up on the tab with some needle nose pliers and the spring pressure will separate the rest.

Next, find the crimped tube and use some vice grips to turn her into a circle again so it can move freely through the black insert and the white part. Then, remove the black insert holding the tubes in place.

Place the once-crimped tube into the other tubes hole and the non-crimped tube into the once-crimped tube position. ie Just swap the tubes, do not change the top white piece and be very careful with the wiring and crimping of the gas line itself when spinning things. There's a plug to the pump itself which can be removed, but there are some very thin wires without a plug - be mindful of those.

Then, replace the black inserts and don't forget to re-crimp the tube. This is what it should look like. Notice the white top centered over the pump housing now. Also notice my gas line is crimped (it can be uncrimped).

Line up the hole on the top white plastic to a stud. You will have to drill this larger or completely out. It's pretty brittle plastic and did not take kindly to my drill bit so I used a cutoff wheel to open it up a bit.

Your bobber should now be pointing towards the passenger seat - free and clear of obstruction. Opened hole at the 8 o' clock position.

Hope this helps!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I followed these instructions tonight. I hate this kind of tedious work with plastic about to break, wires about to pull loose, springs wanting to work against you, fuel lines wanting to crimp and pull loose. Sheesh! But, it all worked out.
Thanks Alex for the extra insight. You rock!

RouteAbel

I know this is old, but I just went through this and have some pictures to accompany the process to make the re-positioning a but more intuitive. Once you know what's required, it's 'easy' but there's still a risk of pulling out the wiring or cracking plastic pieces - so patience and care are necessary.

I wouldn't recommend using pliers to pull the tubes out, one of the tubes is crimped and it's **** near impossible to know which one without putting the wiring and other plastic pieces at risk. Plus, to pull the tube out with it crimped requires the force necessary to remove King Arthur's sword - and you don't need to work that hard.

First, see the tabs that surround the pump on the outside - unlatch these. Use the springs to your advantage by just pulling up on the tab with some needle nose pliers and the spring pressure will separate the rest.
View attachment 11280

Next, find the crimped tube and use some vice grips to turn her into a circle again so it can move freely through the black insert and the white part. Then, remove the black insert holding the tubes in place.
View attachment 11281

Place the once-crimped tube into the other tubes hole and the non-crimped tube into the once-crimped tube position. ie Just swap the tubes, do not change the top white piece and be very careful with the wiring and crimping of the gas line itself when spinning things. There's a plug to the pump itself which can be removed, but there are some very thin wires without a plug - be mindful of those.

Then, replace the black inserts and don't forget to re-crimp the tube. This is what it should look like. Notice the white top centered over the pump housing now. Also notice my gas line is crimped (it can be uncrimped).
View attachment 11282

Line up the hole on the top white plastic to a stud. You will have to drill this larger or completely out. It's pretty brittle plastic and did not take kindly to my drill bit so I used a cutoff wheel to open it up a bit.

Your bobber should now be pointing towards the passenger seat - free and clear of obstruction. Opened hole at the 8 o' clock position.
View attachment 11283

View attachment 11284

Hope this helps!
Great guide. Does the kit come with a new top ring or do you have to modify the donor ring? The slots on my Turbo too ring dont line up.

View attachment 11280

View attachment 11281

View attachment 11282

View attachment 11283

View attachment 11284

Hope this helps!