Turbo Goblin Intercooling and IAT2 Temps

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I plan to follow your lead with the naca ducts and fan. Does the fan naturally blow or suck? Is it just a matter of reversing wiring?
Any fan will run forward or reverse by changing the leads, but the blades may not work well in the opposite direction, so air flow will suffer. A dedicated pusher or puller is the way to go.

Christopher Sanchez

I ordered the 7.5 spal fan, I chose to stick with the puller setup, part # 30100394 the specs vary a bit depending on which site you shop.. summit racing advertises 500-599cfm $90 most other sites range 400-500cfm with the same part # I opted to order from the cheaper sites $70 Despite the lower advertised specs.. I will post temp results once it’s installed..

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ya, I don’t know why spal didn’t have the specs on their site. I had to go off of summit and such for them. I did buy the 7.5” puller first, but decided to go with the pusher instead. They can be switched if need be, for comparisons.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
One thing to consider, how are you going to mount the fan inside the NACA duct shroud? It may be difficult. There is not a lot of wiggle room. Installing it underneath will greatly reduce your ground clearance. I do not have the fan and am happy with my cooling.
Lonny from DF thought I was one of the few to mount the fan on the HE under the shroud from the NACA ducts. It fits - just barely. Unfortunately, I have not done any temp testing yet other than log my IAT vs. ambient. I am also working on a side scoop vs. sticking the air intake filter out past the cage. More on that later.

ATMironov

I thought I would share this newer option to the mix.
There are a few companies that are producing Interchillers that will use the AC compressor to cool the intercooler liquid side.
The application seems to be best suited for drag racing, essentially replacing an Ice Box.

I reached out to Forced Induction Interchillers to discuss the likely hood of using it in a road racing application and they provided a solution of using an interchiller in parallel with the standard heat exchanger with a valve that would direct 50% of the water to the Heater Exchanger when the interchiller couldn't keep up. They also recommended to use a 5 gallon storage tank. For continuous WOT and high RPMs (like in road racing) the AC pump would need to be under driven as they don't work at high RPMs.

Here is a diagram they sent back to me.
unnamed.jpg

I'm moving on from this in my build, but those of you considering ice boxes, this could be a nice solution.

ATMironov

Maybe I haven't ran mine hard enough for long enough yet, but I've only seen a few degrees above ambient.View attachment 27502
That's a massive heat exchanger!

I was out at the race track this last weekend with Jim and Jeff Losche. They are using the DF air to water set up AND a Air to Air intercooler in series. Ambient temp was about 90 and they were running into IAT issues.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I thought I would share this newer option to the mix.
There are a few companies that are producing Interchillers that will use the AC compressor to cool the intercooler liquid side.
The application seems to be best suited for drag racing, essentially replacing an Ice Box.
I read that using the AC system to cool the intake air isn't worth the effort.
The cool intake air gives your engine some HP, but the draw from the AC compressor uses about the same amount of power.
Not to mention the extra weight of the AC pump, freon heat exchanger, extra 5 gallons of water, water pump, etc.

Drag racing is over in a few seconds, and you can put ice back in the ice box.

ATMironov

I read that using the AC system to cool the intake air isn't worth the effort.
The cool intake air gives your engine some HP, but the draw from the AC compressor uses about the same amount of power.
Not to mention the extra weight of the AC pump, freon heat exchanger, extra 5 gallons of water, water pump, etc.

Drag racing is over in a few seconds, and you can put ice back in the ice box.
Yeah, not worth it in a road racing application...
But for drag racing, the AC disengages during WOT and relies on the pre cooled refrigerant to keep IATs down... Maybe 1 gallon of fluid.
You also don't need the freon heat exchanger.
The real benefit is not having to keep buying and replacing ice. :)

ATMironov

The AC system pumps heat from one side to the other.
If you eliminate the freon heat exchanger, where are you putting the heat from the AC system?
lol, yeah... I miss read something somewhere... Obviously didn't give it enough thought.