Turbo location (2015 engine)

aaronbuley

My engine/turbo are a 2015 and I just got it mounted... is this turbo position normal?

Guessing I’ll need to rotate it to get the charge pipes connected?

Not super clear from this angle, but the turbo points right at that crossbar.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Aaron, from the photo, it looks like your turbo has a one piece outlet housing and the neck is very long and is welded in place. The 08-10 stock turbo (T04?) has a bolt on outlet housing and is only about 4 inches long.

Many builders have reported the turbo outlet does point directly at the strut crossbar, but have managed to get a silicon hose onto the end to redirect it toward the intercooler. See attached photos of the outlet housing.

What is the gap between the end of the outlet and the crossbar? A 90 degree hose appears to be required, but will it fit the gap? Hopefully someone else can chime in that had to deal directly with issue for a solution.

Edit: a 90 degree hose is probably wrong and from the photo a 45 may not be enough to clear the crossbar. There are some 60 degree bend hoses that may be just enough to clear and get your outlet aimed the right way. Here is am example:

Attachments

Last edited:

Tony

Aaron, from the photo, it looks like your turbo has a one piece outlet housing and the neck is very long and is welded in place. The 08-10 stock turbo (T04?) has a bolt on outlet housing and is only about 4 inches long.

Many builders have reported the turbo outlet does point directly at the strut crossbar, but have managed to get a silicon hose onto the end to redirect it toward the intercooler. See attached photos of the outlet housing.
To add to that, the kit includes a modified outlet neck that is shorter than the stock one. It's still very close to the crossbar, but it's at least possible to get the hose on.

aaronbuley

Did your donor have an upgraded turbo? This looks nothing like my 2010.
Yes. New engine and turbo in 2015. He then dyno’d it at 323 hp at the wheels. I have the paperwork if that’s interesting to anyone. How do I tell the size of the turbo?

It’s a Borg Warner but I don’t see any other details.

Tim Moland

Yes. New engine and turbo in 2015. He then dyno’d it at 323 hp at the wheels. I have the paperwork if that’s interesting to anyone. How do I tell the size of the turbo?

It’s a Borg Warner but I don’t see any other details.
I would be interested in the details. Would be nice to know different turbo/engine mod combos and what horsepower they make.

Amack1970

To add to that, the kit includes a modified outlet neck that is shorter than the stock one. It's still very close to the crossbar, but it's at least possible to get the hose on.
What does this modified outlet look like? I dont believe I got that with my kit

Tim Moland

I thought someone would have a picture of it. It looks like the stock one bolted on in this picture, but it's only half the height(if that) of the original.
20190526_045558.jpg

Tony

Pictures from RichRich. Doesn't show the whole piece, but you can see how much shorter it is.

Christopher Sanchez

Is this super tight clearance normal? Seems like my engine is up higher then everyone else? Please let me know what I'm doing wrong
As far as the hot air tubing goes I found that if i rotated the angled part from the turbo towards the drivers side counter clockwise on the turbo outlet neck, the rubber pipe sits lower then you can adjust your piping to the intercooler. It is still a very tight fit but it will keep the silicone pipe from creasing.