Turbocharged vs base

Pizzaman

I'm going back and forth on the goblin as far as if I get one do I really need the turbo charged cause it's not like I would be going super fast or going to a track or anything. The base model would save me some money and possibly time putting it together as well. Or do you prefer supercharged, what's better or worse?
Any thoughts?
Thanks for any feedback

Last edited:

askiles

Goblin Guru
I'm going back and forth on the goblin as far as it I get one do I really need the turbo charged cause it's not like I would be going super fast or going to a track or anything. The base model would save me some money and possibly time putting it together as well.
Any thoughts?
Thanks for any feedback
But...but...wooooosh!!!!! I slightly debated for a half a second before the build. Naturally aspirated or forced induction?!? Definitely forced induction. But hey, some people are fine with no hellish noises behind them in a Goblin. Lol

Pizzaman

But...but...wooooosh!!!!! I slightly debated for a half a second before the build. Naturally aspirated or forced induction?!? Definitely forced induction. But hey, some people are fine with no hellish noises behind them in a Goblin. Lol
Ya I guess that's a pretty big part of it.

askiles

Goblin Guru
In my opinion it really lends to the whole driving experience of a Goblin. I went with supercharger as my preference, but turbo works as well. I just like the sound of a supercharger better. Plus the instant power.

Pizzaman

In my opinion it really lends to the whole driving experience of a Goblin. I went with supercharger as my preference, but turbo works as well. I just like the sound of a supercharger better. Plus the instant power.
Ok well thanks it's definitely something to consider.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
If you have any ability you could add the turbo or supercharger at any time later. Turbo donors are too expensive in my opinion for the amount of parts that you need. You can find base donors for $500 or less

Pizzaman

If you have any ability you could add the turbo or supercharger at any time later. Turbo donors are too expensive in my opinion for the amount of parts that you need. You can find base donors for $500 or less
Ya that's what I was seeing too. The few good turbo donors were pretty pricey.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
...Seems like the price of donors is everywhere when it comes to the SS's. Bases are a little more common to be cheaper. When I was considering my build I would have preferred the Turbo, but, it was more expensive and then the kit was also more expensive. I rode in the supercharged one in TX and knew it was fast enough for me. Just about any of the donors have potential as we've seen here on the forum.

If you have a selection of donors nearby you may consider thinking about what it would cost you to upgrade whichever one to were you think you want to end up. For me, I knew if the supercharged one wasn't enough power I could pay about 450, and get a stage 2/3 zzp kit.

So...If the base isn't enough, I think you can get a supercharger kit for 750 + the cost of the supercharger. so somewhere around 1k...maybe more depending on what all you can find 2nd hand...
https://zzperformance.com/products/2-2-2-4l-bolt-on-supercharger-kit

Luckily for us there are a lot of Cobalts made out there. The facebook groups always have superchargers for sale.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
From what I hear, the N/A are pretty quick and will satisfy most. If you don't need raw power and you just want to use it to cruise around town, the N/A with and auto would do just fine. Actually they might be a lot nicer for just cruising around. It's a lot cheaper and a heck of a lot easier to find a donor. Everyone wants the turbos and the superchargers to have race vehicle (including myself), but I can certain enjoy and respect a N/A auto for just driving around and showing off.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Obviously, the SC and TC versions are much faster than the NA; however, the NA is no slouch. They have plenty of power for cruising around.

Wes

Get the n/a 2.4 if you can find one, good compromise on power and cost. I paid 900 bucks for mine delivered to the door. Plenty fast to be scary and beat a lot of cars from A to B.

Of course I drove it for a year and then supercharged it.