USA Federal Legislation

Silverback

Replica Cars - New Federal Law Provides More Choices for Manufacturers and Customers

From SEMA:

On Dec. 4, 2015, lawmakers in Washington, DC enacted legislation allowing low volume manufacturers of replica cars to sell turn-key cars to their customers. The historic law expands customer options. Enthusiasts can still build custom cars and construct kit cars on their own. Starting in 2017, however, they will also have the option of buying a replica just like any other new car, and drive it off the lot (or from the factory).

https://www.sema.org/replica?__utma=95790915.2125377090.1477059827.1477059919.1477059919.1

RichN

These SEMA laws refer to replicas. They do not apply to the Goblin.
I looked into it and they used Factory5 as an example for the Cobra kits but it's not for their GTM or 818.

DanPerryy

I registered mine as a 1957 Lotus 7 Replica in Texas.

In Texas they have a "Street Rod" and a "Custom Vehicle" provisions. The Street Rod is for cars that are similar to pre 1950's or thereabouts - and Custom Vehicles for post 1950 - I don't know the exact year without looking it up. Registration, as far as I know, is regulated by the state on a state by state basis.

Last edited:

DanPerryy

In Texas, the DMV first wanted to say mine was a dune buggy. Dune buggies in Texas may NOT be registered for street use. Different states different regulations.

taz_va

These SEMA laws refer to replicas. They do not apply to the Goblin.
I looked into it and they used Factory5 as an example for the Cobra kits but it's not for their GTM or 818.
As Dan pointed out above, it varies by state. The Goblin's home page even says it's based on the Lotus 7. In many states which allow replicas, this would qualify it immediately into that category. States vary.