VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System)

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
This may be common knowledge, however I confirmed it yesterday on our build. If you turn off VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System ) using HP Tuners, you do NOT need a programmed key. I unplugged the black plastic ring around the ignition where the key goes in and the car started just fine with no security indicators. I know you are thinking, "Well, duh!".

Oddly the first time I looked at my tune file using HP Tuners, VATS was already disabled. I assume it must have been removed by ZZP during a recent tune for the previous owner. And here all this time I just thought that I was good being able to program a key the first time without issues.

This is one step closer to migrating to a push button starting system. This is going to be much easier just having to hook up five wires.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Can you do a standard relearn to get your key to work?
I plan to try that first, but certainly thinking no because I am having to use a different key and security module altogether (those weren’t available from my ECM donor car)

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I plan to try that first, but certainly thinking no because I am having to use a different key and security module altogether (those weren’t available from my ECM donor car)
If you don't have one of the original keys, the process is much harder. But there is a process to learn a new key WITHOUT an original! I don't have it off of the top of my head but it's easy to find on the Internet. You have to do a procedure, then wait 10 minutes, do it again, wait 10 minutes, etc. It takes about a half hour to complete.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
If you don't have one of the original keys, the process is much harder. But there is a process to learn a new key WITHOUT an original! I don't have it off of the top of my head but it's easy to find on the Internet. You have to do a procedure, then wait 10 minutes, do it again, wait 10 minutes, etc. It takes about a half hour to complete.
That is the security relearn procedure. I do not have the original theft deterrent module either, so I don’t think that will work based on what the manual reads. The manual is not very clear about the specifics. I will certainly try.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Have you picked out which push button system you're going with? I was planning on buying this one off amazon, watched a couple of review/install videos on them and it seemed pretty straight forward.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HCAYQ0G/?coliid=I3VT9AYH2EDT6R&colid=4HL5WC1G7GIT&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I haven't yet for sure but I was thinking about this one. The only thing I didn't like with that one is that you have to hold the blue chip up to the ring to start it. I was wanting something more passive.

https://www.amazon.com/EASYGUARD-EC003-Passive-Keyless-Universal/dp/B00IF1N314/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1545103925&sr=8-1&keywords=Easyguard

Reactions: jpr

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I haven't yet for sure but I was thinking about this one. The only thing I didn't like with that one is that you have to hold the blue chip up to the ring to start it. I was wanting something more passive.

https://www.amazon.com/EASYGUARD-EC003-Passive-Keyless-Universal/dp/B00IF1N314/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1545103925&sr=8-1&keywords=Easyguard

Yeah I like that one you linked to much better, I haven't had to insert a key into a vehicle for 3 years and my first world problems kick in when I get put in a rental for work that requires a key in the ignition.

Nilbog

Been on my radar for a while but i've struggled. I'd like to hear what others think about the reliability trade off of the stock ignition vs the "cheap" amazon quality units listed. I've actually looked at and contemplated purchases each of those linked items at one time or another. I really like the idea of a hidden push button start option as my kneed keeps hitting the key when i get in/out. Struggle to make the change or would regret being stranded somewhere when the cheap amazon option fails and i would have been fine with the stock tried/true switch.

Thoughts/Opinions??

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Been on my radar for a while but i've struggled. I'd like to hear what others think about the reliability trade off of the stock ignition vs the "cheap" amazon quality units listed. I've actually looked at and contemplated purchases each of those linked items at one time or another. I really like the idea of a hidden push button start option as my kneed keeps hitting the key when i get in/out. Struggle to make the change or would regret being stranded somewhere when the cheap amazon option fails and i would have been fine with the stock tried/true switch.

Thoughts/Opinions??
This is a concern of mine, not a huge concern, but a concern nonetheless. I may keep the original ignition lock unit with me and retain the original connectors as back up and just wire in the new unit to it.

I have ordered a slightly different variant of the ones posted above and it should be in early next week. I plan to wire it up next week while I am home and will post on how it works. Reliability will only become apparent in time.

Nilbog

Are there any "higher end" push button solutions available? Just curious if anyone knows. Like universal car OEM types? Just curious. When i searched the net almost all solutions came back to a low end option

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Are there any "higher end" push button solutions available? Just curious if anyone knows. Like universal car OEM types? Just curious. When i searched the net almost all solutions came back to a low end option
Here you go. With the best system from Advanced Key at $540, I'm willing to try a cheaper system. I have not found anything in between.

https://advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html

https://watsons-streetworks.com/product/hot-dot-all-in-one-ignition-start-stop-switch/

https://www.digitalguarddawg.com/auto/