Weekly Blog

Austin

Administrator
Staff member
4/25/17

IMG_20170424_153253.jpg

Matt TT's frame is up on the jig being assembled.

IMG_20170425_155747.jpg

Two noses out of the mold, ready to be trimmed.

IMG_20170419_164703.jpg

Wider Rear Fender mold being fabricated.

Austin

Administrator
Staff member
4/26/17

IMG_20170426_160541.jpg

Matt TT's frame having the finishing welds put on and is now ready for inspection.

IMG_20170426_161419.jpg

Intake tubes cut to length, waiting for MAF plates to be welded on.

IMG_20170426_161644.jpg

Wider Rear Fender mold popped off and ready to be trimmed.

BAR-AIR

Good Evening Austin,
Have been talking with Adam and Lonny about restarting the weekly blog. Your dad was saying you are going to be the Goblin's newest social media czar. Welcome and best of luck. I am hoping you will be able to reduce some of the inbound phone calls and emails to Adam and Lonny. Basically all the builders are asking the same questions. If you are just starting stage 1 and you have put your deposit down the biggest question is what number am I in line and what does that mean with regards to how long before it will ship. If you are waiting for stage 2 or 3 again what kind of time frame are we looking at until shipping. The Goblin kit comes together relatively quickly the biggest hold up is the time that you can spend building and the parts supplied by the kit.
So I guess the biggest request is if you could keep us in the loop with regards to realistic time frames. EXAMPLE : You have 30 kits ordered and you are able to weld 1 per week. Here is the list of kits purchased and we can do our own math. Builders waiting for stage 2 if there is a hold up with a part or a couple of parts let us know keep us up to date maybe even give us the option to ship the parts you have and ship the missing parts later. I guess stage 3 will be the hardest seeing that we are all ordering different pieces and parts to customize our personal Goblins. Again, try to keep the builder informed EXAMPLE: we have a windshield mounting system but the last 2 water jet shops broke the glass so we are looking at a set back of #of weeks or the emergency brake mount is welded but not working like we had hoped.
We are currently waiting on a stage 3 for one car and a stage 1 for another car. I would have thought the stage 3 would have been here a while back but an emergency brake mount has held it up. As for the stage 1 there really has been no time Schedule for completion.
I really do like the kit (or we would not have order a second one). But information, from you would really be helpful.
THX,
Bruce

Tony

Good Evening Austin,
Have been talking with Adam and Lonny about restarting the weekly blog. Your dad was saying you are going to be the Goblin's newest social media czar. Welcome and best of luck. I am hoping you will be able to reduce some of the inbound phone calls and emails to Adam and Lonny. Basically all the builders are asking the same questions. If you are just starting stage 1 and you have put your deposit down the biggest question is what number am I in line and what does that mean with regards to how long before it will ship. If you are waiting for stage 2 or 3 again what kind of time frame are we looking at until shipping. The Goblin kit comes together relatively quickly the biggest hold up is the time that you can spend building and the parts supplied by the kit.
So I guess the biggest request is if you could keep us in the loop with regards to realistic time frames. EXAMPLE : You have 30 kits ordered and you are able to weld 1 per week. Here is the list of kits purchased and we can do our own math. Builders waiting for stage 2 if there is a hold up with a part or a couple of parts let us know keep us up to date maybe even give us the option to ship the parts you have and ship the missing parts later. I guess stage 3 will be the hardest seeing that we are all ordering different pieces and parts to customize our personal Goblins. Again, try to keep the builder informed EXAMPLE: we have a windshield mounting system but the last 2 water jet shops broke the glass so we are looking at a set back of #of weeks or the emergency brake mount is welded but not working like we had hoped.
We are currently waiting on a stage 3 for one car and a stage 1 for another car. I would have thought the stage 3 would have been here a while back but an emergency brake mount has held it up. As for the stage 1 there really has been no time Schedule for completion.
I really do like the kit (or we would not have order a second one). But information, from you would really be helpful.
THX,
Bruce
Strongly agree with this. Since ordering back in February, I've had very little clue as to when to expect things to start shipping. I've heard "You're first in line" and "We'll start on yours after these 2" in a few scattered emails from Adam, but nothing definite on schedule.

BAR-AIR

Good Evening Guys,
This post is probably going to come out sounding wrong, but that is not my intention. (Forums have never been my strong point).

Austin welcome and thanks in advance for any additional information you can give us (builders). I apologize for doing this on your link.

I think that I brought up some valid points with regards to communications betweeen the building community and the manufacturer. And that post is going to get buried in a lot of... I hope those are my parts ( just a note, I still don't have a intake tube and my entire kit was paid in full nearly a year ago -actually didn't know the kit came with one). If this stuff gets buried it will never get addressed. Same as the build instructions, I complained repeatedly with the lack of instructions and they have done a very nice job at least for stage 1 with the videos. So this is just the next step in the process, communications keep us in the loop if there are delays (that is life) just inform us of the delay on a semi regular basis.

At the end on the day, the checks have been cashed and we are sitting on hold hoping to hear something.

THX, Bruce

NOTE: if you want to blast me or my posting do it directly to me -BARAIR- (IM or conversation) so as to not load Austin's blog with it.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Deadlines and scheduling are definitely a problem for us. Our daily tasks are ever changing as we adapt to each new challenge or opportunity that smacks us in the face. For example, we started laying up noses weeks ago but a few noses in, we figured out the two step process we were doing was not a good way to do it. To fix the process, we had to remake the mold. The noses will now be quicker to make and a nicer final product but we had to sink over a week of labor into remaking the mold.

Things like this happen very often. I'm sorry I didn't share the hold ups with you or let you know what was going on. We'll be more transparent about whats going on here from now on. Bringing Austin (my youngest brother) on will definitely make it easier to keep you guys up to date. At the end of each day he will talk to us and then transfer the news on to you guys.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
My cell number is 214-334-0232. You can call me anytime day or night any day of the week.

We are close to finishing third stage production tooling. This is our last big hurdle. We will then be able to focus on production.

Matt's frame is going to powder coat today.
We are welding sub assemblies next week.
Then we will start welding frames again.
Tony
Jermey
Leo
Nathan
Carl
Steve

DanPerryy

BTW - I dropped off my tow bar at the powder coater that the DF Kitcar uses. The guy that runs that place wants to get reid of his new Harley and get a Goblin. I have had so much enjoyment in building mine!!!

Austin

Administrator
Staff member
5/1/2017

IMG_20170501_095518.jpg

Fiberglass being put down on the engine cover mold.

int.jpg

Cold air intakes complete and ready for shipping.

win1.jpg

New bracket for the polycarbonate windscreens.

GAVC's lights, mirrors, and windscreen has been shipped.
Tubing will arrive tomorrow and will be setup for CNC and bending.
Then we will start welding sub-assemblies.

Next week we'll start welding Tony's frame.

Tony

5/1/2017

GAVC's lights, mirrors, and windscreen has been shipped.
Tubing will arrive tomorrow and will be setup for CNC and bending.
Then we will start welding sub-assemblies.

Next week we'll start welding Tony's frame.
I'm really not trying to come across as bitter here, but here's a good example of how I hope this thread will help with the poor communication. This email that I received from Adam says about the same thing as you did yesterday Austin... the difference being it was almost 2 months ago. I know for sure that at least 1 frame - possibly 2 - has been built in the meantime, so you can see why I am frustrated. I understand that delays happen, especially at this early point of development, but keeping us informed of what is happening can go a long way.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
You are right that this is the kind of thing the daily blog will help with. Jeff had gone to pick up tubing but ended up only getting control arm tubing and a few sticks of 1.5 inch DOM for door bars and A-pillars. He did this because we figured out that we would be buying bundles of material that would be sitting at the shop until after the California trip. Instead of doing that, we prioritized the remaining frames (door bars and A-pillars needed to be made) and worked on second stages from production run #2 and still couldn't get them finished before the California trip because of all the time consumed by preparing for the trip.

Since getting back from the California trip, we've finished welding the last of the PR2 frames and have delivered some second stages (still working on these). We've also modified the nose mold and made a wider fender mold to start producing stage 3 pieces faster. Now that things are getting caught up, we can get the material in here and get to work without having it sitting around for a while. Production Run #3 will begin this afternoon or tomorrow morning when we start CNC plasma cutting the tubes.

With this blog, Austin will be able to keep on top of updating you guys when things like this happen (and no matter how hard we work, we are sure more things like this are bound to happen).

Austin

Administrator
Staff member
5/3/2017

Just learned that the tubing supplier postponed delivery until May 4th because the 1 inch x .065 round and 1 inch square tubing were delayed.

Tried out the Dorman 800-301 fuel line repair tool and we do not recommend it. It does not work well with the Dorman elbow connectors we use.
We're going to make our own tool so we can put together fuel lines before they ship. If you haven't made up your fuel lines or are struggling to, let us know and we'll send you a pre-made fuel line after the tool gets made.
IMG_20170503_105222.jpg

IMG_20170503_104649.jpg

A hood in the mold with the mounting brackets being added on.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
What width tire is the maximum with the new, wider rear fender? I seem to recall a 205 section width being the widest accommodated by the fenders previously.

Austin

Administrator
Staff member
5/4/17

IMG_20170504_110843.jpg

Tubing has arrived.

IMG_20170504_111829.jpg

Everything off the truck.

IMG_20170504_164326.jpg

The start of Tony's frame being put onto the jig.

IMG_20170504_164237.jpg

Lasercut pieces have arrived but they forgot to bend them so most need to be sent back to be bent.

noses.jpg

Hood and engine covers that need to be trimmed.