what donor to get

George

Goblin Guru
I have writeups I did back in 2005-2006 on redline forums that show everything in order. we broke lots of #4 cylinders, then we broke rods as about 400hp if I recall, crank snapped in half at 520hp so we cryogenically treated a new stock one and pinned it. no more problems with the crank after that. the re-occuring issue was the #4 cylinder.
Did you ever have the pistons anodized, did you ever use ceramic coating on top of the piston?

Brad

dperkins

my bid on copart comes up in a few min.

Has anyone came up wit a front wing for these? I think a split front wing would look good along with giving some front down-force.
I am making front canards at the moment and will likely make a front wing, diffuser and some other miscellaneous things.

redline

Did you ever have the pistons anodized, did you ever use ceramic coating on top of the piston?

Brad

Yes, in fact we worked with Diamond to come up with and test their first run of them. they do buy you a small amount of hp more but a lack of fuel in that last cylinder can't be fixed with pistons. we even tried the heavy duty sleeved block thinking it was that for a time. with all this said, we were always trying to get more power out of the engine. i am sure we could have sat at 300 or maybe even 350 HP and ran forever, that was not the goal back then. We were pushing things designing and selling parts for the platform due to the lack of aftermarket support in the beginning.

I have been reading on my old forum this morning and it seems that those who did the return style fuel system have had much better luck in recent years. I can find a few 500+ HP build threads that have some dust on them meaning it looks like they are still running.

Last edited:

redline

I am making front canards at the moment and will likely make a front wing, diffuser and some other miscellaneous things.
I would be very interested in your progress. I may even be in for buying a set from you if they turn out.

George

Goblin Guru
Thank you for the information, I do not plan on 500hp but will switch to the return flow fuel pressure contol.
Brad

dperkins

I have never had any luck keeping these Ecotec in one piece, that is why I want to have a backup on the shelf. car in my sig was on its 6th engine, that being said it was our shop car and had a lot of R&D done with it, also made well over 500 hp. I understand these are very light but so is the ariel atom and exocet, but people are putting very high hp engines in those. I was just curious if anyone had made one of these a 400-500 hp monster yet? I know in my old Saturn anything over 450 hp was just for dyno bragging rights unless you were in 5th gear. lol
You can check out my build. I took a SS TC sedan for 4500 dollars, stripped, rebuilt the entire engine, and put it back together. I am pretty much ready for dropping in the engine and maybe only a week away from the first start :). I dropped in forged rods + pistons, Z54 turbo, injectors, cams, cam springs, balance shaft delete, a brand new block, ported headers, meth injection (not hooked up yet though), and upgraded lifters. With this combo in a normal cobalt, you could hit 500 WHP with not much trouble. I am aiming for about 450 at the wheels, which is going to be a b**** to handle lol. Luckily I have the widest rear tires anyone has used before along with the one of the best tires, R888Rs

Last edited:

dperkins

I would be very interested in your progress. I may even be in for buying a set from you if they turn out.
They should be good. I’m making it out of ABS for rigidity and ease of manufacturing, and they’ll bolt straight into the front fiberglass. The front wing I am not sure what I am doing yet, but I will mock-up when I get the car going and the fiberglass on.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I am also making a front splitter out of ABS as well and reinforcing it with anchors

redline

You can check out my build. I took a SS TC sedan for 4500 dollars, stripped, rebuilt the entire engine, and put it back together. I am pretty much ready for dropping in the engine and maybe only a week away from the first start :). I dropped in forged rods + pistons, Z54 turbo, injectors, cams, cam springs, balance shaft delete, a brand new block, ported headers, meth injection (not hooked up yet though), and upgraded lifters. With this combo in a normal cobalt, you could hit 500 WHP with not much trouble. I am aiming for about 450 at the wheels, which is going to be a b**** to handle lol. Luckily I have the widest rear tires anyone has used before along with the one of the best tires, R888Rs
What turbo are you going to run? I don't think the stock one will get you there? you running E85?

dperkins

I have a Z54. Unfortunately there are no gas stations within 30 minutes of me that carry E85. I have a gas station about 5 mins away that has 101 octane, but it's over 8 bucks a gallon. That's why I'm running meth, so I can get regular 91 octane but boost it up to 100+

redline

That is a dangerous game, I am having those issues with my son's car now. I can't get e85 so I have a very hard time putting down more than 400hp out of his wrx. the turbo, injectors, and supporting mods will handle it I just can't get enough octane (only 91 octane here also). I run it at 22 lbs of boost and after that it is not happy even though I am only at 70% injector duty and the turbo is rated to 30 lbs.

I just bought a hybrid engine for him which takes it up .5 more liters which should help.