Wheels, tires and brakes.

Tony

I know the tread is weird looking on those tires but **** you can't beat the price 115 and 165 each at tire rack!
I'm with you there. I would go with the R1R in a 255/40-17 if I hadn't already bought the 16" Konig runlites, but it's tough to beat that price for a 245/45-16. I've been talking with Toyo tech, and they say it's designed to work either direction, so I just have to convince myself the visual aspect isn't so bad haha

Silverback

My best guess for the moment for #33 is:

Enkei RPF1 16x7x30 5x114.3 14.3# w/ Hankook Ventus R-S4 205/45ZR16 20# 23.0" diam.
Enkei RPF1 17x9x45 5x114.3 15.6# w/ Hankook Ventus R-S4 255/40ZR17 26# 24.8" diam.

The just released R-S4's are a leap of faith, but promise to surpass the well-regarded R-S3's. Plus, they're symmetrical, no right/left issues.

http://enkei.com/shop/racing/rpf1/
http://tiresize.com/tires/Hankook/Ventus-R-S4.htm

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
P2's old rears are 26.1 tall and the fronts are 24.9 tall. The heights are the main reason I'm moving away from them.
That's only an inch difference in the rear though. Do you notice an actual difference with ride height or handling etc or are you mostly just switching for aesthetic reasons?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Also 200 tread ware is pretty high for a car this light from what I understand?

Nuker-
A lot of people would agree with that. However, My RE71R are 200. Toyo R1R are 200. The S.drives that some Atoms come with are 300....

I think the hardest thing is sometimes just being honest with what our expectations are. I know that I will be on the street at least 10:1 to track time. So 200TW just makes more sense to me. I have had to pry a lot of rocks out of my rubber already. Plus You'll typically only run 20psi, which kinda has the same effect as running softer tires imo.

With that being said if your main goal is blistering AutoX times then by all means go with a softer compound.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
The 255/50-16 I was running had 5 inches of side wall so it really was a balloon tire ((26.1-16)/2≈5). David's rear tire will only be 1.6 inches shorter but the 17 inch wheel means he will only have 3.75 inches of side wall ((24.5-17)/2=3.75).

Shorter side walls will definitely feel more hooked to the road and they'll look better in my opinion.

Last edited:

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, I ended up going with 205/50-15 front and 225/45-16 rear. 23.1 and 23.9.

Silverback

A lot of people would agree with that. However, My RE71R are 200. Toyo R1R are 200. The S.drives that some Atoms come with are 300....

I think the hardest thing is sometimes just being honest with what our expectations are. I know that I will be on the street at least 10:1 to track time. So 200TW just makes more sense to me. I have had to pry a lot of rocks out of my rubber already. Plus You'll typically only run 20psi, which kinda has the same effect as running softer tires imo.

With that being said if your main goal is blistering AutoX times then by all means go with a softer compound.
Been there, done that (OMG 30 years ago!). I'll AutoX just to sort the car. The Goblin is just to reestablish that ear-to-ear grin on my face. :D

1987 SCCA Southeast Region Solo 2 Finals D-Mod 1st
1987 SCCA Midwest Region Solo 2 Finals D-Mod 2nd
1987 SCCA Nationals Pro Solo 4th? no money, no swag, no prize, but it was a very good year.

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
The 255/50-16 I was running had 5 inches of side wall so it really was a balloon tire ((26.1-16)/2≈5). David's rear tire will only be 1.6 inches shorter but the 17 inch wheel means he will only have 3.75 inches of side wall ((24.5-17)/2=3.75).

Shorter side walls will definitely feel more hooked to the road and they'll look better in my opinion.
Ok that makes more sense. Just curious what pressures do you run?

Tony

Found another brand that has the 15x7 and 17x8 wheels I like.

http://www.lensowheel.com/Lenso-Sub-Brand-list/external-detail.aspx?Name=PROJECT D SPEC-F&ID=PDF&SubCatID=20007

The Project-D Spec-F

I don't have any idea where to buy them though.

Nuker-
Man, those are cool! They look very similar to the wheels I got, but with a bit of concavity, and better sizing. 16x7 and 17x8 is pretty well perfect. The Runlites are 16x7.5 and 17x7.5, which is less ideal (I just got all 16s).

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Yeah, They are giving me a quote for shipping. I figure worst case I'll be in Thailand in 3 weeks. Maybe I can just stick them in suitcases LOL.

Nuker-