Windshield Development

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
This supplier has thicker polycarbonate... but the thick stuff doesn't bend as well, costs more, and scratches just as easily.
Unless you are stopping bullets, why do want it thicker?
Just think enough to stop excessive flex under speed. There are also a few companies that make custom bubble canopies. A curved windscreen should be easy for them. Just a thought.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yeah, that is what I am shooting for - just enough to stop excessive flex at speed.
I will see how the .090" prototype does. I was avoiding heating it or vacuum forming it, as I don't want the optical distortions that heating will bring... but I might need a little localized heat at the bottom corners where it makes a tight bend.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The new layout fit on a 23.5" high piece of polycarbonate. It is about 64" wide.

Used a P strap in the top corners.

I used 2 P straps to hold the bottom corner of the windshield and body panel. One P strap was bent into a U shape, and had 2 rivnuts put in.
No more flapping in the wind.

So far the 90 thou polycarbonate withstood 100 mph "Mexico winds" without needing additional bracing.
Like a Hoover dam, the curved shape allows the wind pressure to press against the A pillars, and keeps the windscreen in place.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Curved window prototype:

The .090" polycarbonate works, but I will try a little thicker for the next prototype, just to make it a bit more sturdy.
Oh, and a black dash will prevent reflections when looking thru the window... but I don't mind the reflection, as my line of sight is over the top of this windshield.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
You have been driving your Goblin for so long without a hood or a windshield. You liking the drastic change of air flow with them now?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I should have put a body on it earlier. The dust from my driveway, and the rain that I got caught in a few times, have both made my BCM, instrument cluster, AEM air fuel gauge, and power steering become intermittent. Luckily I have a second donor that I bought for the engine. It is now also going to donate some electrical parts.

The wind reduction in the cabin is nice for talking to your passenger, and highway driving isn't a beating, so that is nice. On the autocross course, I think it gives me some downforce on the front too.

jayrolls

Hey guys. For those of us that do not need safety glass, I am working on a process to make full windshields that mount with the DF mounts. I practiced with mine and think I have a better way to do it. It'll have a more consistent bend if my new idea works out. Mine deformed and bubbled a little at the bend line because I bent it in place and overheated some areas. They'll come to the top of the DF mount and bend back to the top of the track frame. Look at my pictures and you'll see it if you haven't seen it yet. City frame guys would need some kind of other support for the top because it will not be strong enough to self support.

It's made from .177" Polycarbonate that is listed as having impact strength of 18ft-lb/in. and has passed UL972. (burglar resistant test that consists of dropping a 5lb steel ball on it from 8', 10', and 40'). It's very hard but still a little flexible and light with "enhanced UV resistance". The weight of my windshield is about 8-10lbs. There are thicker sheets available but I don't think they are necessary unless you just want a thicker windshield.

I want to see what the interest would be on this. If enough people want it, I'll reach out to a specialty fabricator about bending them. If it's just a few, I'll bend them myself. There could be the possibility of some bubbles at the bend if I bend them myself but I'm working on that....

The price on a windshield would be about $300.00-$325+shipping depending on how many people want them. Less is more, more is less. Also, this does not include the DF mount. You'd need to have it, get it, or make your own.

Please let me know if you're interested. The timeframe on this will be in the next month or so.
Is this still something that you are doing or offering? Thank you.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Wow. I left @jayrolls hanging for 26 days! Somehow I missed jayrolls message, and today @Iwanttogofast also was wondering if this is available.

If we can get a group buy together, we can do this!

TUFFAK AR (Abrasion Resistant) polycarbonate sheet has a seven year Limited Product Warranty against breakage, yellowing, and hazing.
The .118" polycarbonate is 31% thicker than my prototype, it is hardened to reduce scratching, and UV protected to reduce yellowing.
I already have the clear edge protection for where the polycarbonate touches the hood,
and the paint protection film.
I will have to buy some more mounting clamps and can rivnut them.

After making my prototype windshield, I need to modify the cut pattern, as the polycarbonate doesn't bend the same as the cardboard.
That is why I made a prototype! Learn, improve, modify.

Anybody else interested in this windscreen? I am estimating it will be $200, plus shipping to your place from 72758 Arkansas.
If jayrolls still wants one, Iwanttogofast and me, that would make 3 of us... need 1 more person. (or 5 more people!)

Last edited:

jayrolls

Wow. I left @jayrolls hanging for 26 days! Somehow I missed jayrolls message, and today @Iwanttogofast also was wondering if this is available.

If we can get a group buy together, we can do this!

TUFFAK AR (Abrasion Resistant) polycarbonate sheet has a seven year Limited Product Warranty against breakage, yellowing, and hazing.
The .118" polycarbonate is 31% thicker than my prototype, it is hardened to reduce scratching, and UV protected to reduce yellowing.
I already have the clear edge protection for where the polycarbonate touches the hood,
and the paint protection film.
I will have to buy some more mounting clamps and can rivnut them.
View attachment 25091

After making my prototype windshield, I need to modify the cut pattern, as the polycarbonate doesn't bend the same as the cardboard.
That is why I made a prototype! Learn, improve, modify.

Anybody else interested in this windscreen? I am estimating it will be $200, plus shipping to your place from 72758 Arkansas.
If jayrolls still wants one, Iwanttogofast and me, that would make 3 of us... need 1 more person. (or 5 more people!)
I’m in.

Ross

Goblin Guru
This windshield uses the A arms on the track frame for support.
If you have a city frame, then you may want to make A pillars that are 12.5" higher than the DF cut off point on the city frame. If you attach your new A pillars to the fiberglass body, then it makes taking your hood off and on a bit easier. If you weld onto the DF frame, then you have to remove another P clamp before removing the hood and the DF track frame bends 6" after the cut off point, so that will make the A pillar more challenging.
I haven't made any A pillars... so I guess my group buy is only for track frames, or builders willing to make there own A pillars on a city frame.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Anyone want a replacement for their DF windscreen? I am selling a 1/4 sheet (2'x5') of Tuffak AR2 that you could cut to any shape you want, including the stock DF windscreen shape. $123 plus shipping to your place. (That is at cost).
This is the right stuff for a windscreen, .118" thick, scratch resistant on both sides, and UV protected, and super tough polycarbonate that won't shatter like acrylic or plexiglass.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Anyone want a replacement for their DF windscreen? I am selling a 1/4 sheet (2'x5') of Tuffak AR2 that you could cut to any shape you want, including the stock DF windscreen shape. $123 plus shipping to your place. (That is at cost).
This is the right stuff for a windscreen, .118" thick, scratch resistant on both sides, and UV protected, and super tough polycarbonate that won't shatter like acrylic or plexiglass.
Ross, if you still have this, I'll take it. Work me up a price to 89002.

Chris_WNC

Would DOT and AS2 marked polycarb be helpful for you guys? Is AS1 the “standard”?

Our plastic rep came to the shop yesterday and he was very interested in my Goblin and helping with a windscreen solution. I’m not sure what’s required in the more restrictive states so I told him I’d ask you guys.

CHRIS

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Interesting, does AS2 polycarbonate meet the DOT requirements? I've not seen this before. Great if it does, will sure help our community - and the rest of automobileland as well.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Doesn't look like anything other than AS1/AS2 glass would fly in Michigan. AS2 polycarb following the letter of the law probably wouldn't be allowed either, but I think the DOT sticker would likely get you out of tickets. At the very least it could allow you to play dumb.

It would be legal if you classified it as a bus :)

A motor vehicle shall not be operated on the public highways of this state unless it is equipped with a windshield of sufficient dimensions to protect the driver and occupants from insects, other airborne objects, and highway surface water and debris, when the motor vehicle is moving forward. A farm tractor, other implement of husbandry, and historic vehicles as defined in section 803a are exempt from this section. When a motorcycle operated on the public highways of this state in excess of 35 miles per hour is not equipped with a windshield, the operator shall wear goggles with transparent lenses or a transparent face shield or eyeglasses, which goggles, eyeglasses, or face shield shall be of shatter resistant material and of sufficient size to protect his eyes against insects, other airborne material, and highway surface water and debris.
(1) A person shall not sell a new motor vehicle nor shall a new motor vehicle be registered thereafter which is designed or used for the purpose of transporting passengers for compensation unless that vehicle is equipped with safety glass wherever glass is used in doors, windows, and windshields. Rigid safety plastic which meets the test requirements of American national standards institute standard Z26.1-1966, as supplemented and amended, may be used on buses in lieu of safety glass, except that front windshields shall be equipped with safety glass.
(2) A person shall not sell a new motor vehicle nor shall a new motor vehicle be registered thereafter unless that vehicle is equipped with safety glass wherever glass is used in the windshield, doors, and windows; nor shall any glass be replaced in the windshield, doors, and windows of a motor vehicle unless the glass is safety glass as herein defined.
(3) The term "safety glass" shall mean a product composed of glass, so manufactured, fabricated, or treated as substantially to prevent shattering and flying of the glass when struck or broken.
(4) In addition to the penalties imposed by this act, the permit issued by the Michigan public service commission to a person engaged in the passenger carrying business shall be subject to revocation or suspension in the discretion of the Michigan public service commission.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Brand new plexi windshield - put a layer of glass tint film, the really light stuff (i've seen 85% on ebay), on both sides. Will help protect from scratches and can be easily replaced if it gets too buggered up. Plus it's now a tinted windshield, custom option in my book. :D