Windshield Development

BAR-AIR

Yes the VW dune buggy windshields come in widths from 39” to 46” they are AS1 as required. You can see above in this and a couple other threads in the forum I have used one straight like yours and also cut and VEE’d one for Nate’s Goblin. I haven’t driven the Goblin with the VEE’d version but I have put a reasonable amount of driving the flat windshield. First it works, it looks pretty good, the distance between the windshield and the steering wheel is OK (could have some more room) the rake is off (as is it need more) every time I drive it I need to clean the windshield due to bugs (while this may seem like a petty complaint - my reason for concern bugs hit flat and splatter I’m dreading the day I’m behind someone and they throw a stone it’s going to shatter it).

Motoracer110

Yes the VW dune buggy windshields come in widths from 39” to 46” they are AS1 as required. You can see above in this and a couple other threads in the forum I have used one straight like yours and also cut and VEE’d one for Nate’s Goblin. I haven’t driven the Goblin with the VEE’d version but I have put a reasonable amount of driving the flat windshield. First it works, it looks pretty good, the distance between the windshield and the steering wheel is OK (could have some more room) the rake is off (as is it need more) every time I drive it I need to clean the windshield due to bugs (while this may seem like a petty complaint - my reason for concern bugs hit flat and splatter I’m dreading the day I’m behind someone and they throw a stone it’s going to shatter it).
Agree, the windshield being flat is a bummer, I’d say it’s a great option until goblin comes out with their glass windshields. They look sweet for sure. It’s amazing how much company’s charge for custom glass and frames. Last I spoke with Lonny they had their prototype made and they are testing it to find how much force is needed to break it and be sure no design changes are needed. If any of you can do non drastic changes to the car to make it street legal until the goblin windshield comes out that’s the way to go

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
my reason for concern bugs hit flat and splatter I’m dreading the day I’m behind someone and they throw a stone it’s going to shatter it).
Rain-x will make the bug cleaning much easier.

I have that same fear of the stone. That is one of the reasons I made a tempered hard board template of the glass that I got after a trial fit, It hangs on the wall in the garage. It has every detail on it Where the AS1 logo goes how wide the black urethane primer is. My glass guy was an old street rodder and I do not know how long he will be doing this. So I want to be able to show the young glass guy how it is done. So I can be back on the road fairly quickly.

Agree, the windshield being flat is a bummer, I’d say it’s a great option until goblin comes out with their glass windshields. They look sweet for sure. It’s amazing how much company’s charge for custom glass and frames. Last I spoke with Lonny they had their prototype made and they are testing it to find how much force is needed to break it and be sure no design changes are needed. If any of you can do non drastic changes to the car to make it street legal until the goblin windshield comes out that’s the way to go
I pretty much copied Bar-Air's windshield frame. I did get a little more rake to it than he had but I shortened the height some also. But I will tell you that the frame with the forward to aft bars down the center and the tube frame around the glass. I would not trade for anything. I use that frame to get in and out every time. It is also a great place to toss the quick release wheel. Bruce and I discussed these bars in detail one day. If you just put a glass windshield on with no support some one will grab it and break it getting in or out of your car. It may not be you but a passenger. I know of 3 Factory Five Cobras locally that have had the glass replaced because of this and they have doors to make entry and exit easier. I wanted the curved glass when I started this project. I was stalled for 2 months on a windshield design. I talked to many Pro builders and hobby builders and the general consensus was go flat if you are driving it every day for the ease and time of replacement. If you are building a show car spend the time and money for the curved. Thats just my 2¢

Ross

Goblin Guru
64 Corvette: bottom width is 48” the top width is 42.5”, heighth is 16” (top to bottom) and a center heighth is 21.25” (top to bottom)
Karman Ghia: bottom width is 47.5", top width 41", heighth is 17" tall. 5.25" of curvature.
VW Superbettle: not sure about the width, heighth is 19" tall.
Chevy Spark: bottom width 50.5", heighth is 34.5". Not much curvature.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Smart car: 52.5" x 31"

I'm guess JSATX is right, I'm not going to find an OEM glass that is small enough.
Now I'm thinking of using my second choice, making a tempered polycarbonate screen.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Dale Elliott found a curved glass windshield that would work on a Goblin!

1968-73 Opel GT.
Bottom width: about 45 inches
Top width: about 33 inches -- tapered from bottom
Bottom to Top: about 22 inches
Top back to front curvature: about 6 inches -- tapered from bottom

It is a little wide at the bottom, but the body on the Goblin could be flared out a little wider near the mirrors, or the glass cut back a bit.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Just looked into it. The Opel windshield is 46.5” wide and I guess with enough body work you could make that happen. I’m going to begin incorporating that into my new nosecone design in hopes we can make something work.

The Opel windshields are available for $300 plus shipping which is less than I was expecting.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Just looked into it. The Opel windshield is 46.5” wide and I guess with enough body work you could make that happen. I’m going to begin incorporating that into my new nosecone design in hopes we can make something work.

The Opel windshields are available for $300 plus shipping which is less than I was expecting.
Really? Where did you find them at that price?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Really? Where did you find them at that price?
Pilkington has them in stock. I asked what their narrowest windshield was and he said it didn’t work that way, but was happy to help lookup various widths of a few different models.

I have been researching cutting glass. And although it didn’t not work on the waterjet it doesn’t look very hard to do by hand. Going to scrap yard to get a cobalt windshield this weekend.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Today was a total fail. Those windshields are absolutely welded on. Broke 3 before giving up. Didn’t have the right tools but after today I’m not sure it would be all that much easier. Gonna go to harbor freight and get their glass tools and try again.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Removing glass held in by urethane is not fun. The glass guys are using a short stroke saws-all with a sharpened putty knife blade on the end. and a utility knife blade on a 12" long handle