Wiring harness talk

northvibe

Has anyone found a part number off the wiring harness so we can buy a new one?
What about if the model year harness has to fit specific engine/trans or g85/lsd?

Looking at wrecked cobalt, some were tboned, so the harness may be mangled or they won't start. Looking to start a thread/info on the wire harness incase others need to get one for their build.

I see a few used harness's on ebay...but couldn't find any on tascaparts, I may not know what to search for though.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
I do not know of a part number for the whole wire harness.

The wire harness is well protected except for three places:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Front cross member - in a front collision the headlight harness can get cut pretty easily. The good news is that this is an easy one to repair.
[*]Left side of the firewall - in a very hard front left collision, the wires going through the firewall near the pedals can be pinched but it isn't likely that they would be cut since they go through a nice rubber grommet at the firewall. We had one car that the left front fender area was pushed back enough that it made it hard to get the wires out, but none of the wires were damaged.
[*]Left rear trunk area - the cars we've disassembled with heavy damage on the left rear have had wires pinched near the C-pillar. This is where the rear wiring goes into the cabin. Most of these wires are too long for use in the Goblin so you would probably end up shortening them anyway. The colors make the wires easy to identify in this area.
[/list]

Problems we've run into that prevented the engine from starting are:
  • broken crankshaft position sensor wire (located under the intake manifold in striking distance of the fan shroud in a front end collision.
  • cut positive cable wire from the battery (cut by the salvage yard that stripped the interior of the car before we got it)
  • gear selector (automatic transmission) broken by driver who wasn't seat belted in - we had to disassemble the gear selector and make it think it was in park before it would start

northvibe

Mmmm yes. I see many small parts of the harnesses. So they'd need to be pieced together I suppose if you had to go get new ones. Any way we have a list of the harness sections?

I know there is an engine harness, then key, ignition etc. Could over time, end up with a list of the sections w/ part numbers...idk could be a lot of work ;)

The wrecked SS/SC I found isn't up for auction yet, but says starts and drives....but you know, unless you see/hear in person it doesn't mean much....