Wombat's Track Goblin - 2007 SS SC

wombat

I have really enjoyed looking over many of your builds and finally found some time to start a build log, so here it goes.

It was probably close to 20 years ago when I came across the Ultima GTR - a supercar you could build in your garage! Despite being young and broke I was intrigued...one day, I thought. Fast forward a decade and I read about the Ariel Atom. It was such an awesome car, but I wasn't willing to eat ramen for the rest of my life. I found the Goblin while researching Exocets, and really liked the platform. I thought to myself that this might be doable for a novice mechanic on a budget. So I started reading all of your unique builds and then I saw Paul had a partially complete kit for sale in my state. My wife and I just had a baby, so I knew time would be a limiting factor and Paul was fantastic in answering my questions. A little encouragement from Brad (and sitting in his impressive car) pushed me over the edge and just over a month ago I picked up Paul's project. Paul and his build log are great, so I'm not going to repeat everything he did here.

I got the project with a good deal of stage one finished and was waiting for some parts from DF before I could continue. They just showed up last week along with my stage 3 stuff.

While I have definitely saved some time and headaches not having to deal with stripping the donor, there are a few unique challenges I think I will have. Since I didn't take anything apart, I think I might have a tough time recognizing what came from where. Also, Paul's kit was an early model and I have noticed there are some updated pieces and parts that are either different or only included in later versions. Finally, it is definitely possible I'm missing some hardware, bolts, etc.

Despite the head start, my build will likely be slow (this is definitely not second nature to me) and I will try to keep this thread updated with pictures and notes since I have found them so helpful.

wombat

Got the main wiring harness laid out and the BCM installed. I had to create some spacers for the space behind the BCM by cutting a piece of white metal tube from a child gate since I couldn't find them in my bags of hardware.

The radiator is installed. I spent a couple of hours trying to clean out the threads on one of the top mounting locations. Not sure if the weld caused the damage or if it got banged up. Anyway, finally got it cleaned out enough so that the mounting studs would thread in. Also, I broke one of the black plastic circle locking pieces that is on the front of the radiator and holds the plastic rod. I ended up using a couple of 20in zip ties to secure and just pushed the black rod through the end of the zip ties and cut off 19.9 inches.

I am really confused about the radiator hose routing. The first written build guide and the video are different. Does it matter if the Driver's side runs to the top or the bottom? Any thoughts would be helpful. Another thing that is going to require some MacGyverness is the hoses that hook up to the radiator. Paul had pulled 1in silicone hoses through the frame, but I don't think I have the hoses that DF typically sends for the final connection to the radiator.

Fuel tank is mostly installed. I need to buy a fuel filler hose to finish it up.

Attachments

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
With the radiator hose routing, either way will work. If you follow DF's instructions it says to run the passenger side (hot) to the bottom port and the driver side (cold) to the top port. The down side to this is coolant will stop if you lose too much.

Some of us have switched the routing to OEM way by running passenger side (hot) to the top port and driver side (cold) to the bottom.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Welcome. I recommend reading as many of the build threads as you possibly can. There’s a lot of good discussion on different ways to do the same thing.

wombat

Thanks for the advice. I ended up going with the original cobalt routing on the radiator hoses.

I've been able to sneak into the garage between diaper changes a few times since my last post. After I bought the hoses to finish the radiator connections, I found the "hose" box from Paul/DF. I'll be returning a few things to my local auto parts store on the next trip...

Also replaced the fuel injectors, starter and TOB/Flywheel/Clutch. I'm thinking about replacing the SC pump as well.

Hope to get the engine mounted and tested in the next couple of weeks.

Attachments

wombat

Engine is mounted and running!

Big thanks to George aka Brad for letting me and a friend swing by and see his Goblin last weekend. Took a ton of pictures and got a little extra motivation to mount and test the engine.

Make sure you have the ECM connectors completely tightened down. Mine felt snug, but were not and only some of the gauges were working. Also didn't initially have a throttle response.

We used 2 different torque wrenches to tighten the larger bolts on the engine and transmission mounts...100 ft lbs made the lock washers separate and become ineffective. Anyone else have this problem?

I will redo the HE setup, but for testing purposes mounted one to the front of the radiator. Also used distilled water to check for leaks.

Maybe I'll get this thing done before the weather turns...

Attachments

Reactions: Dre

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I forgot Paul had an older style engine mount, and there are two sets of bolts. I thought you were referring to the bolts that actually run into the engine and transmission and not the bolts that hold the mounting plate to the frame.

You're right. The mounting plate to frame bolts should be 100 ft-lbs.

Carry on. I'll shut up now. :)

wombat

Overdue for an update. Took the Goblin down the street today, shifter wasn't perfect but it worked ok. I trimmed some threads off each side of the shifter cables and it is close.

I riveted the tunnel cap, but put a 5 foot section of 3/4 PVC with some paracord in there to pull wires through if needed at a later date.

A shout out to DF for quickly fabricating and shipping a few things I needed before the maiden voyage. Lonny and Adam thanks!

I have NRG seats with side mounts and lightly modified the brackets that came with the seats by drilling a couple more holes to work with the seat brackets supplied by DF. I think it will work well.

Next up is dialing in the front alignment and wiring the lights, turn signals and horn.

Attachments

wombat

I'm legal. Got my KHP inspection done yesterday, found insurance and got the tags today. Relatively painless with all the receipts and MSO from DF.

Took it out for a bit after work today and I didn't end up on the side of the road, so that is a good sign.

I still have a lot to do before I will consider it done (if it ever is really done), but it is nice to know I can drive it before then.

Dre

Overdue for an update. Took the Goblin down the street today, shifter wasn't perfect but it worked ok. I trimmed some threads off each side of the shifter cables and it is close.

I riveted the tunnel cap, but put a 5 foot section of 3/4 PVC with some paracord in there to pull wires through if needed at a later date.

A shout out to DF for quickly fabricating and shipping a few things I needed before the maiden voyage. Lonny and Adam thanks!

I have NRG seats with side mounts and lightly modified the brackets that came with the seats by drilling a couple more holes to work with the seat brackets supplied by DF. I think it will work well.

Next up is dialing in the front alignment and wiring the lights, turn signals and horn.
I picked up some NRG seats with sliders also. What bracket are you talking about? And did you have to worry about the big tab potentially hitting the seat in the middle?

wombat

I picked up some NRG seats with sliders also. What bracket are you talking about? And did you have to worry about the big tab potentially hitting the seat in the middle?
Since I bought a lot of this from Paul, he had already purchased the NRG seats. He also bought some "cobalt" brackets and a slider that I did NOT use. I used the brackets supplied by DF and drilled some holes in the bottom mounts of the seats and added some washers in the back to get the width to match.
20180715_162158.jpg
20180715_162158.jpg20180715_161830.jpg20180715_161906.jpg

Reactions: Dre

wombat

Huge thank you to George! He shared a ton of wisdom and graciously gave up an afternoon to help me get my alignment sorted out yesterday.

The car is driving much better.

Also, I wondered why my brakes were not very strong. Embarrassing, but I had the vacuum line run to the wrong spot. the Supercharger that came off the Atoms engine just had the port capped, so I had to dig around and find the elbow fitting and run the line right. Stops on a dime now...thanks again George.

wombat

one note on my seat "solution" is that it sits a little high. i dont mind for drives around town, but ill probably revisit sometime.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
one note on my seat "solution" is that it sits a little high. i dont mind for drives around town, but ill probably revisit sometime.
You probably already know but I believe DF's seat brackets are supposed to bolt directly to the seat. Giving you the lower seating position.

wombat

Yeah, i tried that seemed a little too low. I may go that route again. i need to measure or sit in one with the corbeaus. i also DD a 4runner, so im sure that made it feel even lower. i think the ideal placement for me would be right in between.

side note, i have almost 300 miles on it in a week. This thing is FUN!

wombat

Have not had a ton of time to work on the car, but I'm gearing up for some updates...

Pulled the head off my 2nd motor today. It is going to be ported and have new springs installed.

I am planning on running a TVS and while I really like the look of the wheels, 205s won't cut it.

Attachments