Won't Start

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Tonight being the second time we took that car out and for some reason we are bit with the dreaded "No Start". It has always started! Tried and tried, but just got everything but a crank signal. For lack of anything better to try, I grabbed the spare key I had cut and programmed myself and it started right up. Fluke? Who knows? Food for thought the next time someone has issues with starting. If you don't have a good spare, better get one! This one only cost me $8

DanPerryy

You can make up to 9-10 keys from the master program key. I bought blanks on the internet, a few dollars each. Home Depot cut 3 of them for free (they charge for the key blanks cut - since they did not have the blanks they cut them for free). Then you can program them in just few seconds. Put the master key in, turn it on, turn it off, then immediately remove it and put the new key in. As I recall that is the procedure.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
You can make up to 9-10 keys from the master program key. I bought blanks on the internet, a few dollars each. Home Depot cut 3 of them for free (they charge for the key blanks cut - since they did not have the blanks they cut them for free). Then you can program them in just few seconds. Put the master key in, turn it on, turn it off, then immediately remove it and put the new key in. As I recall that is the procedure.
I thought you had to use the door locks to program our keys?

DanPerryy

You can reset the ECM - BCM to a new master key, it takes about an hour (actually 30 minutes if you immediately take each new step). First get a mechanical key to work. A door key, have a lock smith make a mechanical key that works in the lock. What ever way you get a key that works mechanically. Then you can program the mechanical key to ECM - it becomes the master key.

The procedure will un-link all other keys to the car so they will no longer work.

The procedure is documented in the General discussion - "Programming keys" last updated in April 21 2017

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
VATS for SC cars can be disabled by HP Tuners. VATS for TC cars (E69 PCM) cannot be disabled. Not sure about N/A cars but probably likely. AFAIK HP tuners is the only way programatically. There is a piggypack disabler made by newrockies that (they told me) works for all models but it requires a fully functioning VATS prior to install; not sure how well it actually works.

Last edited: