Parking Brakes

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I bet the electric actuators car companies are using are lead screw so they are self locking. That way without power it holds.

I've used the link below model at work on a few projects. One in the link will put out 400 pounds of force at almost an inch per second in theory. Real world date gave us 32 seconds to full extension on a 24" stroke, and 52 seconds to full retraction at 24", running the actuator at 12.8 volts with 200 pounds hanging from it. These linear actuators are acme lead screw and will not move without power. Not astronomical in price either.

https://www.progressiveautomations.com/linear-actuator-ip66

SliderR1

I bet the electric actuators car companies are using are lead screw so they are self locking. That way without power it holds.

I've used the link below model at work on a few projects. One in the link will put out 400 pounds of force at almost an inch per second in theory. Real world date gave us 32 seconds to full extension on a 24" stroke, and 52 seconds to full retraction at 24", running the actuator at 12.8 volts with 200 pounds hanging from it. These linear actuators are acme lead screw and will not move without power. Not astronomical in price either.

https://www.progressiveautomations.com/linear-actuator-ip66
Not bad! I'm thinking 24" will be way too much for what we need, perhaps 2" or 4"?

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Not bad! I'm thinking 24" will be way too much for what we need, perhaps 2" or 4"?
Oh for sure, the 24" stroke was just an example of what I had used. Id have to look at how much travel is needed to set the brake but between 2 and 4 inches is probably right.

Dre

Can i play Devil's advocate for a sec? what if the linear actuator fails in its closed position? Either you would have to have a manual screw or a disconnecting coupling...
Seeing as the coefficient of friction played a major part in holding the car into place (over turning, pads and rotors, and surface area, etc.), the pull force doesn't have to be excessive.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Here is an option for those who do not live in a state that requires a parking brake - a hydraulic line lock. It could be installed into the main rear brake line running through the tunnel. It is simple as pushing on the brake pedal, activting the line lock and releasing the brake. The line lock will hold brake pressure until the line lock is released. There are manual activation and electric solenoid units - note the electric version requires voltage to hold the lock. Here is an example from jegs that I am contemplating:
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63028/10002/-1

Christopher Sanchez

Here is an option for those who do not live in a state that requires a parking brake - a hydraulic line lock. It could be installed into the main rear brake line running through the tunnel. It is simple as pushing on the brake pedal, activting the line lock and releasing the brake. The line lock will hold brake pressure until the line lock is released. There are manual activation and electric solenoid units - note the electric version requires voltage to hold the lock. Here is an example from jegs that I am contemplating:
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63028/10002/-1
I thought of this option but in the state of NM it clearly states that there must be two means of activating the brakes meaning brake pedal then another method. The fact you need to use the brake pedal to activate the line lock disqualifies this Item in NM at least.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I thought of this option but in the state of NM it clearly states that there must be two means of activating the brakes meaning brake pedal then another method. The fact you need to use the brake pedal to activate the line lock disqualifies this Item in NM at least.
I would bet a lot of states will not accept this. I know of a few already that have specifications similar to what Christopher said.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Agreed there are legal requirements for having a separate EMERGENCY brake system when it is required by law to get a Goblin registered within any given state. The use of the line lock would be a PARKING brake only - used to keep your car in place in lieu of having the transmission in park or in gear which is especially useful for manual transmission builds. The line lock would not work as an emergency brake, as activation would lock your rear brakes making for a dangerous situation. This is not what I was suggesting as a use for the line lock.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The Solstice rotors wobble on my Cobalt rear hubs. Is there suppose to be a centering ring to adapt these parts?

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
That looks really simple!

I just got my 949 racing lugs nuts, things are light! I have those same stands too, extremely nice stands.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
These are some images I took while test fitting a set of parking brakes.

20181127_134541.jpg

Cobalt to solstice adapter

20181127_134743.jpg

If you have chosen to remove the original radiator mounts you may be able use self drilling screws and attach it directly to the subframe.

20181127_134754.jpg

I had to bend the aluminum tubes a little to get them pointed straight into the parking brake handle. Be careful not to kink them.

20181127_134803.jpg

I ran the the shifter cables over the the parking brake. One on each side.

20181127_144348.jpg

Use a step drill to resize the existing hole.

20181127_144423.jpg

I used the original plastic cable support and pressed it into the subframe.

20181127_152506.jpg

After everything is installed you may need to adjust the cables. With the parking brake handle down there should be just a little slack at the splitter.

20181127_152542.jpg

20181127_152806.jpg

You will need to drill three holes in your tunnel cap to locate the parking brake handle approximately three inches in front of the lower tank mount.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Looks very clean. Bummed I didn’t save any of that. There appears to be some nice aftermarket brake handles available, the rest can you get out of a junkyard without too much trouble?

Tony

Thanks Lonny. I'm having trouble visualizing where you're resizing the hole for that press clip, can you show a wider shot?

baustin

Anyone have experience with a simple park lock style device?
For example: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Park-Lok-Universal-Hydraulic-Parking-Brake-Line-Lock,1970.html

I won't be required to have a separate system, seems like I could just go this route for a parking brake (manual transmission). While holding the brakes, push the button. It'll hold the pressure till the brake pedal is pushed again. Not quite as useful as a solenoid based line lock to throw on the front but simple concept for a parking brake.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Lonny. I'm having trouble visualizing where you're resizing the hole for that press clip, can you show a wider shot?
I don't have that assembly anymore, I took those shots November of 2018. I knew I had them but thought I might have lost them when I switched phones. Luckily they were uploaded to Google photos.

Last edited: