New Wheel hubs, ABS or not?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Do you guys know if the Goblin uses ABS? I'm going to order new wheel hubs and was not sure if I needed the ones with ABS(Factory cobalt) or if the goblin does not use it I'll order without. I have a 2007 SS SC donor.

Thanks,
Nuker-

AleX1/9

The Goblin does not use abs. If you're buying new hubs, you could go without the sensors. Unless you wanted to add ABS in the future which I don't see being worth it.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Perfect, That is what I thought I remembered, But before I ordered new hubs I wanted to make sure! I figured the hubs from my donor have 70k miles and are rusted to hell mise well replace them.

Jordan

Johvans

The S/C cars only need to provide the rear hubs for the front. The rear driven hubs are included with the kit. FYI.

You may want to touch base with Adam..

AleX1/9

The rear driven hubs are included with the kit. FYI.
This is incorrect. The rear hub/bearing/carrier and entire rear suspension is swapped as is from the cobalt

The only change in the rear (cobalt front) is the removal of the steering function and sway bar

PHerder

I believe you are both saying sort of the same thing... The rear hubs for the Cobalt are swapped to the front of the Goblin. Just the hubs whereas they are attached to the custom spindles that DF Kitcar supplies. The front suspension/engine cradle from the Cobalt is moved entirely to the rear of the Goblin and as AleX1/9 wrote, the steering function and sway bar is removed.

Clear as mud? So the answer to the question is the rear hubs from a non-antilock brake system Cobalt is needed to be purchased for the front of the Goblin in place of the anti-lock brake hubs. The front hubs (now in the rear) will either have to be changed out for non-antilock style (but check for axle diameters!) or just ignored (i.e. nothing hooked up to the sensor!)

After posting this, I wondered if the rear Cobalt hubs with antilock could still be used in the front but just do not connect to the sensors? I know, the original question was needing to replace the rear hubs in a SS car with antilock and changing the hubs changes the wheel bolt pattern (5 to 4 lug) so YMMV!

The best answer is "Ask Adam!" :D (or Lonny, as posted below!)

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
All four bearing hubs come from your donor. My turbo donor came with ABS.

On the rear of my goblin I zip tied the ABS wire out of harms way.

The bearing hubs that came off of my Cobalt donor rear that go on the front of my goblin will not fit without modification.

You will have to flatten out the inside of the hub by cutting off the plastic molded plug.

If you are replacing any of the hubs you should get it them without ABS, they may be less expensive.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I've found that "you get what you pay for" has never been more true than with hubs. Now maybe since there's a lot less weight you can get away with it. But every time I've replaced hubs with cheap ones they went out within 40k miles...not that youll likely see that with a goblin but still.

Also I have felt (and had confirmed by friends that are auto parts dealers) that Timken hubs have gone down in quality quite a bit in the last 5 years. Personally its Moog or nothing for me.

PHerder

Hey guys,

I know the normal part number for Cobalt SS/SC wheel hubs is Moog-513206 but I found these https://www.amazon.com/Moog-513203-Wheel-Bearing-Assembly/dp/B000CF41RQ and it looks to be the same exact thing without the ABS sensors/wire? Anyone know?

Thanks!
Nuker-
Nuker, I went to the supplied URL and it DOES show the ABS sensor/wiring! Scroll down to this:

From the Manufacturer

View larger

MOOG Hub Assembly
Hub assemblies from MOOG, the Official Steering and Suspension of NASCAR.

Johvans

My plan is to run 4x100 wheel bearings on my SS/SC. Adam and I confirmed that my axle works with a 4 lug hub a few weeks ago. It doesn't appear that the lnf turbo donors will have this option as the axle is larger.

This keeps us from having to redrill everything (hubs, brake rotors, etc) since the brakes that will be installed are off of a 4 lug cobalt. It also opens up a lot more options for wheels. Food for thought.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Well that is very interesting, I think I will do the same if you ar positive there is no downsides. Because like you said there is a bazillion 4 lug wheels!

Nuker-

My plan is to run 4x100 wheel bearings on my SS/SC. Adam and I confirmed that my axle works with a 4 lug hub a few weeks ago. It doesn't appear that the lnf turbo donors will have this option as the axle is larger.

This keeps us from having to redrill everything (hubs, brake rotors, etc) since the brakes that will be installed are off of a 4 lug cobalt. It also opens up a lot more options for wheels. Food for thought.

Johvans

Well that is very interesting, I think I will do the same if you ar positive there is no downsides. Because like you said there is a bazillion 4 lug wheels!

Nuker-
None that I could see! It's also a lot easier to buy 4 lug hubs without ABS and they are significantly cheaper.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Awesome! That is great. Thank you.

MOOG 513205 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info

Front; Non-ABS; 4 Stud Hub

MOOG 512248 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info
Rear; Non-ABS; 4 Stud Hub

Looks like these are the right ones, Right?

Nuker-

Reactions: PG5

SliderR1

You will have to flatten out the inside of the hub by cutting off the plastic molded plug.
Lonny - can you explain how you did this? Perhaps a picture would suffice. I also noticed that RichN had a similar problem and used part of a trailer hub for his.

Silverback

As I recall, Lonny said 2009 non-ABS rear hubs work if you want a 4x100 solution for the front wheels. The rear hubs have four bolts to mount the DF front uprights. I ordered Dura-Go PRO 295-12248 from RockAuto.com and got the 5% discount that PHerder mentioned. They seem to be well-made. Not the cheapest, less than half the cost of the most expensive. It will probably be years before I find out how well-made they are (or not.) ;)

Just got another 5% discount code good until 30 July 2017

RichN

Lonny - can you explain how you did this? Perhaps a picture would suffice. I also noticed that RichN had a similar problem and used part of a trailer hub for his.
My donor had 5-lug hubs with ABS. When I cut off the plastic molded plug on the rear hubs; there was nothing behind the plastic. I was looking straight at the bearing. The trailer caps almost fit, just took the grinding wheel to remove a tiny bit of the lip. I ended up replacing the front (now Goblin rear) hubs. If I had known that I was going to replace 2, I would have done all 4 with 4-lug for more wheel options. My factory 16" wheels rub the control arms in reverse when cutting the wheel all the way.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru

Looking at gmpartscenter.net, it appears the the SS/SCs and SS/TCs have the same part number for the front wheel bearing assembly. I hope that means they have the same axle size. You'd think, right? Like Rich, I screwed up the hubs when I was grinding off the ABS sensors. There were bits of plastic everywhere inside. They probably would've been fine, but I just went ahead and bought the 4x100 with no ABS hubs all the way around.

Hope they fit.