Brake Pads

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My kits didn't come with brake pads. Is everyone using the Cobalt pads with the kits for the SS/SC? The kit has all new rotors and brakes so I'm not sure of the pads to use that will fit the calipers.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I used 2 pairs of POWER STOP Z23956 from rock auto, They were about the only performance pads I could find for the LS brakes our kits use.

Nuker-

JSATX

Goblin Guru
All the various base trims use the same pads, they do not use the disks.

I’m running Duralast carbon pads and am very happy with them. They have a lifetime warranty lol so you can get them replaced for free when they wear out.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
You might want to double check because some places won't honor a warranty for normal wear and tear. Now, if the pad breaks or is otherwise defective, they should honor it no problem.

I think it's the same idea as a tire warranty. If a tire is warranted for 50k miles, and they go bald in 20k, you can't return them for a brand new set.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
You might want to double check because some places won't honor a warranty for normal wear and tear. Now, if the pad breaks or is otherwise defective, they should honor it no problem.

I think it's the same idea as a tire warranty. If a tire is warranted for 50k miles, and they go bald in 20k, you can't return them for a brand new set.
Yeah actually I specifically checked on that. Wear is covered. As soon as they hit the wear indicators you bring them in for free replacement. I’ve used it on my Porsche and they gave me a new set no questions asked.

The catch is only one replacement, I think.

KJP

Yeah actually I specifically checked on that. Wear is covered. As soon as they hit the wear indicators you bring them in for free replacement. I’ve used it on my Porsche and they gave me a new set no questions asked.

The catch is only one replacement, I think.
You can switch them out as many times as you need.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Do the SC and TC kits come with the same calipers? My supplied caliper piston diameter is 54 mm all the way around. Based on some info I found here it says that diameter is used in the Cobalt Sport models?

I'm thoroughly confused on what make/model I need to tell the guy at AZ to find the right pads. I don think "Goblin" is in their system yet.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
it is my understanding that the pads are the same on all models (except maybe brembo)

It’s the disks that are different size.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I believe they are the same caliper all the way around (other than left side versus right side - bleeder port position) and same pads.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Thanks. That actually answered my other question on if the fronts were different from the rears. I must have spent 30 minutes looking for differences and taking pictures to make sure they get matched back up properly after powder coating.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
So I walked into AZ with extreme confidence on what I needed as far as brake pads. He asked for the year/make/model, and I told him exactly what they were. No problem. Then he asked me the dreaded question of "front or rear?" and I locked up. I had no idea how to respond to that complex question. I was truly confounded.

Does the kit use front pads all the way around, rear all the way around, or a mix of front/rear?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
So I walked into AZ with extreme confidence on what I needed as far as brake pads. He asked for the year/make/model, and I told him exactly what they were. No problem. Then he asked me the dreaded question of "front or rear?" and I locked up. I had no idea how to respond to that complex question. I was truly confounded.

Does the kit use front pads all the way around, rear all the way around, or a mix of front/rear?
I believe it is fronts all the way around. At least on my non SS it is that way.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I think you're correct. For some reason when Nuker said he used "2 pairs", it threw me off. It just clicked that he means 2 pairs of front SETS which gives 8 brake pads total and not 4 like I was thinking.

If you can't tell, I don't do this stuff on a daily basis. I don't think I've ever even replaced a set of pads myself. :)

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have solstice brakes on the rear (to accommodate the emergency brakes). My stock brake pads off my 2006 Cobalt SS don't fit.
18-B5050 is the rear drivers side brake caliper for a 2006-09 Pontiac Solstice.
18-B5051 is the rear passenger side brake caliper for a 2006-09 Pontiac Solstice.
18-B4880A is the front driver side brake caliper for a 2007-10 Chevy Cobalt (base 2.2 liter engine)
18-B4881A is the front passenger side brake caliper for a 2007-10 Chevy Cobalt (base 2.2 liter engine)

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I have solstice brakes on the rear (to accommodate the emergency brakes). My stock brake pads off my 2006 Cobalt SS don't fit.
18-B5050 is the rear drivers side brake caliper for a 2006-09 Pontiac Solstice.
18-B5051 is the rear passenger side brake caliper for a 2006-09 Pontiac Solstice.
18-B4880A is the front driver side brake caliper for a 2007-10 Chevy Cobalt (base 2.2 liter engine)
18-B4881A is the front passenger side brake caliper for a 2007-10 Chevy Cobalt (base 2.2 liter engine)
Yep for the rear now with the emergency/ parking brake calipers you will need rear pads from the Solstice. The previous post were made before DF released the parking brakes.

askiles

Goblin Guru
These are the calipers that I received for my SS/SC build, with no parking brake:

Duralast:
18-B4880A - Front Left
18-B4881A - Front Right
18-B4880 - Rear Left
18-B4881 - Rear Right

Now to get the pads! I assume all (4) calipers use the exact same pads? They look to be the same calipers, the mounting holes are just slightly different on one set of them.

Attachments

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
AutoZone part numbers that I used are DG956 for the Cobalt calipers and DG1095 for the Solstice calipers. If you're not running the parking brake kit, then the DG956 should be correct for all four corners.