Ken Leiker MotorSports // Track // 07 SS/SC Donor

KLMOTORSPORTS

Yep, 6 speed shifter and going to use the electric steering box from the Saturn Vue / Chevy Equinox...same fit as the stock Cobalt box, just allows the use of an input adjuster so you can dial in how much power steering you want. I wanted the top bars for the strength, look, and assist in getting in and out of the car. I am also going to take out the stock Goblin fuel tank angle iron pieces and put two horizontal 1 1/2” bars in there place...one low and one at shoulder seat belt height.

Going to be a fun project!

Ken

DCMoney

Goblin Guru

bradr

I planned on doing the same thing. One of the items on my long list of projects for the goblin is to use an arduino to do speed based resistance to the EPS.
I'm considering the same thing, but using the stock Cobalt EPS.

bradr

Does the stock EPS have the ability to adjust resistance?
Not in the same way some of the other EPS units can. I believe I can do it over CAN bus. Ill start up a thread as I have more info. My main concern about using an different EPS is I do not know if manually adjusting the assist level scales the existing speed sensitive assist or just sets it to a fixed value based on the POT setting.

Last edited:

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I can't tell if it's just the camera angle or not, but does it look like you'd be able to fit 2 of those Kirkey's side by side in there? Does that shoulder support start to get in the way?
I've got a 16" driver and 17" passenger seat, both Kirkey 47 series, and I will have to bend the shoulder wings in a bit to get them side by side.

KLMOTORSPORTS

I've got a 16" driver and 17" passenger seat, both Kirkey 47 series, and I will have to bend the shoulder wings in a bit to get them side by side.
Yep, mine is a 18.5 Kirkey 47 series and two won’t go in together without bending the wings quite a bit

KLMOTORSPORTS

Got frame modifications done this weekend and turned out exactly the way I wanted it. Note: Not using the sheet metal bottom, but rather will have drop in, bolt in aluminum floor (.125).

Modifications:
1. Added 1” x 1/8” x 18” tie ins to front three cross sections. Substantially increased strength in these areas
2. Added 1 1/2” x .095 cross tube across back and up against tunnel. Additional support for frame rear and tie in for bottom plate and seat plate
3. Added 6” x 18” x 3/16” bottom plate. Ties in from new tube to the rear cross pieces and tunnel. Substantially increase strength in this area.
4. Added .125 steel seat base. Ties in bottom cross tubes, lower left side frame rail, and doubler plate on tunnel. Very solid base for seat mounting.
5. Seat belt rear cross tube. Brings seat belt mount to proper level through rear of seat.
6. DZUS Plates (11 each side) for mounting full body sides (will get fabricated).
7. Flooring mount tabs to mount drop in aluminum flooring.
8. Mount for Kirkey seat rear.
70A53169-EC8A-4E15-97C4-65A8575CB68F.jpeg
231896E4-2115-4E5C-B969-3DB33F26C486.jpeg
1113E771-C6B0-4C4A-A311-C574E74AF8B5.jpeg

Total weight of welded in parts: 38 pounds.

These mods work for me and maybe not for everyone.... sharing to give others ideas and to keep my build log current.

70A53169-EC8A-4E15-97C4-65A8575CB68F.jpeg
On to Powder Coat (gloss black) next week!

Ken

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Got frame modifications done this weekend and turned out exactly the way I wanted it. Note: Not using the sheet metal bottom, but rather will have drop in, bolt in aluminum floor (.125).

Modifications:
1. Added 1” x 1/8” x 18” tie ins to front three cross sections. Substantially increased strength in these areas
2. Added 1 1/2” x .095 cross tube across back and up against tunnel. Additional support for frame rear and tie in for bottom plate and seat plate
3. Added 6” x 18” x 3/16” bottom plate. Ties in from new tube to the rear cross pieces and tunnel. Substantially increase strength in this area.
4. Added .125 steel seat base. Ties in bottom cross tubes, lower left side frame rail, and doubler plate on tunnel. Very solid base for seat mounting.
5. Seat belt rear cross tube. Brings seat belt mount to proper level through rear of seat.
6. DZUS Plates (11 each side) for mounting full body sides (will get fabricated).
8. Mount for Kirkey seat rear.View attachment 8651View attachment 8652View attachment 8653

Total weight of welded in parts: 38 pounds.

These mods work for me and maybe not for everyone.... sharing to give others ideas and to keep my build log current.

View attachment 8651On to Powder Coat (gloss black) next week!

Ken
Ken, looks great and should provide some additional lateral stiffening of the chassis - good for your purpose built track car.

KLMOTORSPORTS

Another big step in the build process...The chassis, subframe, and 17 other pieces are off to Powder Coat! Thanks Legacy Powder Coat in Franklin, Ohio for getting me in on your busy schedule...bunch of great folks! Will be “Kenworth Black” on these parts. Should be 7-10 day turn time.
B540B06A-E85B-4CFE-B3A3-194EB773F2C0.jpeg
FD12A450-B1FF-45E3-9DB1-52EBC54CF7B4.jpeg

TravMac

Modifications:
8. Mount for Kirkey seat rear.View attachment 8651View attachment 8652View attachment 8653

Ken
Hey Ken, 2 questions for ya:

1) Do you plan on putting in a second seat or is the full racecar going to be a single-seater? It looked like your harness bar was only on your side and was curious (unless I'm looking at it wrong).

2) I've seen a lot of those DZUS plates on things like drag racing hoods and other racing panels that make them easy to remove. Do you plan on taking them off a lot? Or are they just a preference for your build?

Thanks Again!

KLMOTORSPORTS

Hey Ken, 2 questions for ya:

1) Do you plan on putting in a second seat or is the full racecar going to be a single-seater? It looked like your harness bar was only on your side and was curious (unless I'm looking at it wrong).

2) I've seen a lot of those DZUS plates on things like drag racing hoods and other racing panels that make them easy to remove. Do you plan on taking them off a lot? Or are they just a preference for your build?

Thanks Again!
I will only be running the single seat...other side will have 3 gallon fuel cell and some other goods (yet to be planned out). The harness bar is at should height and will only be for drivers side.

The DZUS plates were a personal preference...I like options and this will allow me to take them off and on at will or have two sets of sides and swap them out to change things up.

Thanks!

Ken

KLMOTORSPORTS

LSJ tear down night...Block, head, crank, rods, pistons off to engine shop Monday to get cleaned and mic’ed...then reassembly with some fresh goods! Chassis and other parts should be back from Powder Coat this week and assembly will begin!

8575F9F0-25D1-42BB-9B95-DB08A6F27616.jpeg
6E71FD9A-EB9E-4EFD-A468-49F6976B0ACF.jpeg
9B6B3A30-93A3-45D8-A4B3-25BE434C5671.jpeg