Goblin Warning Light Eliminator (Airbag, Seatbelt & Tire Pressure + Bonus Features)

bradr

Currently working on a electronic module that will wire into the low speed GMLAN network and emulate various modules if they are no longer present:
  • SDM - Sensing & Diagnostic Module (Airbag Module)
  • RCDLR - Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)
This is currently in the early stages of development and still needs proper hardware design and software improvements. Currently, it crudely emulates the above listed modules. Current feature set:
  • Disables airbag light
  • Disables seat belt light
  • Disables low tire pressure light
  • Disables airbag warning messages in the information center
  • Disables low tire pressure warning messages in the information center
  • Optional Bonus: Adds a "Welcome" message to the information center after the vehicle is started
The video below shows it working with the three modules above all disconnected from the car. Notice the addition of a welcome screen when turning the ignition on - more for fun than anything of value. If you have any questions or input, let me know!

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yeah, very cool! You must have an inside to the GM system.

Could this potentially interfere with HP Tuners or any other device that uses the OBDII port? I believe my ODBII gauge that I have hardwired to the car all the time may have been the culprit to all of my programming issues using HP Tuners. Now that I have unplugged it, I haven't had even so much as a hiccup with programming.

bradr

Yeah, very cool! You must have an inside to the GM system.

Could this potentially interfere with HP Tuners or any other device that uses the OBDII port? I believe my ODBII gauge that I have hardwired to the car all the time may have been the culprit to all of my programming issues using HP Tuners. Now that I have unplugged it, I haven't had even so much as a hiccup with programming.
This device I am working on will not interfere with HP tuners or any other OBDII scanner or device. It very literally emulates one or more existing modules on the network. Now, if the tuner or scanner you are plugging in needs to request information from one of the missing modules, that will still be an issue (with or without my device). That said, I can't see any reason that an HP tuner or standard OBDII scanner would be requesting info from anything other than the ECU and possibly the TCU in automatic equipped vehicles.

bradr

***Please Note: I use the acronym TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) in place of GM's RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) acronym as they are one in the same***

New and improved hardware and software design is currently being tested. The most notable improvement is for vehicles with the TPMS. The user will have two options - TPMS Emulation or TPMS Enhancement.

TPMS Emulation
The user simply removes the TPMS module from the vehicle. TPMS Emulation will simply keep the low tire pressure light off and keep the info center from displaying the low tire pressure message as mentioned in my first post. When viewing the tire pressure page in the information center or on the RPD (if equipped), the tire pressure will show as "0".

TPMS Enhancement (*NEW*)
With this mode, the user keeps the TPMS system intact (sensors in tires and the TPMS receiver). The difference here is that the thresholds for the low tire pressure can be changed to ANY value between 0 and 50 PSI - extremely useful for the Goblin as they are much lighter than the Cobalt. As an added bonus, you can specify different thresholds for both Front and Rear tires! When viewing the tire pressure page in the information center or on the RPD (if equipped), the tire pressure will show the actual tire pressures as expected.

---Picture of the current test platform - yes, its a mess---

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Brad, it has been a few weeks, wondering if there are any updates on the SDM or RCDLR modules? I'm not trying to push this by any means, since I know we all have jobs and family to keep us too busy at times. I am just curious how this is progressing, as I am sure anyone else following this thread may be. Thanks.

bradr

Brad, it has been a few weeks, wondering if there are any updates on the SDM or RCDLR modules? I'm not trying to push this by any means, since I know we all have jobs and family to keep us too busy at times. I am just curious how this is progressing, as I am sure anyone else following this thread may be. Thanks.
No bother at all. I have not had any time to work on it since my last post. Hopefully we will see another update in the next few weeks.

bradr

Sorry for the lack of updates, but there has not been much to report. I jumped back into this project over the weekend to resolve a software bug. I think I have a usable code base - only more testing will tell.

New feature: I added an additional output to pulse the drivers door ajar switch wire upon turning off the ignition. Why you might ask? Right now, when you shut off a Goblin, several modules stay awake until the driver door opens (which will never happen) or until the RAP (remaining accessory power) timeout programmed into the BCM. Although this is not horrible, it draws down the battery and is not ideal.

I hope to start working on a prototype circuit board design over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
What kind of price are you thinking about charging for these devices? Maybe I should not put the cart in front of the horse, though...

bradr

What kind of price are you thinking about charging for these devices? Maybe I should not put the cart in front of the horse, though...
Long answer:
If I were to amortize my time and costs out over the number of units I might sell (maybe 5-10 at best), these would cost more than some donor cars. Whatever I price them at, I will be selling them at a "loss". Any income from selling a few will simply offset a small portion of my cost and help other Goblin builders.

Short answer:
I don't know yet.

To be clear - this is not intended to be a commercial product to make a profit. I am building a few units for myself. Provided enough interest, I will make a few more for others.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Brad,
You may be surprised at the interest you may get for some of your electronic gadgets once some of us - me included - are willing to purchase to have functionality for some of the stock systems. As I had mentioned several months ago, I am interested.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
To be clear - this is not intended to be a commercial product to make a profit. I am building a few units for myself. Provided enough interest, I will make a few more for others.
Understood. There's definitely interest.