Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Well I did it, I pulled the trigger and have placed my order. I had to renegotiate with the accountant/wife and rehash the benefit of building a Goblin - versus building something else like a '69 Camaro (big $$$). I got the thumbs up and hit the purchase button. So I will be getting the TC extended track with F40 transmission mod. Gonna be fun! :p

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Been a couple weeks, very busy with my new job. Hoping I have about 7-8 more weeks until my kit is ready, am counting the days.

Have been slowly working on donor parts getting them ready for paint and replacing worn parts. Did order and receive my pair of heat exchangers for the intercooler. These are KZ750 radiators, measuring 17.5X8.5X1.5 inches with a core 120 square inches of dual row cooling tubes each. A single 8 inch 900cfm cooling fan will be mounted on the rear side. I plan to side mount them behind the cockpit, one on each side, with a cowl to direct air into them. They will be run in parallel with an expansion tank feeding a high flow pump. I will supplement them with a water misting system (separate water tank and pump) for each heat exchanger, for the really hot days in Phoenix.

Attachments

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I would also consider moving the intake filter too. While I'm sure the stock Goblin location can't be any worse than the airbox being under the hood right next to the engine in a Cobalt, there are improvements that could be made.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The intake filter will be straight up from the turbo, in the 'cooler' air well above the engine - which is a relative thing when you live in the desert. There was a discussion about this in Turbo Goblin Intercooling and IAT2 Temps thread.

Water/meth injection may be a future add on, depending upon what I can achieve for intake temps with the dual heat exchangers feeding an oversize air to water intercooler.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Looky, looky what I got in the mail today! All the way from across the pond from England, took a little over 2 months after ordering it, but my F40 QUAIFE LSD is finally here. This thing is beefy, weighs about 15 pounds. I can't wait to get it installed into my F40. In case anyone is curious, it was $925 shipped from Quaife through WG Motorparts in England. :):p:D

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Been a while since I last posted. Anticipating my kit in the next few weeks, thanks to Motoracer 110 for the photo from the DF shop. Can't wait to get it home and start the customizing! :p

Still collecting parts that I know I will need and have been working the wire harness a little at a time. Trying to make sure I don't take anything out I do need and keep additional wires in for the extras I am anticipating of adding to the car.

Picked these up recently, my air-water intercooler and heat exchangers to cool the intercooler.

I think the intercooler may be big enough to handle the Phoenix summers (designed for 400+ cubic inch V8 motors) and the heat exchangers are KZ750 radiators that both total about 250 square inches of cooling surface. I plan to add a water misting system to spray the exchangers for those really hot days (105+) and it should be sufficient to help keep the IATs in check. Time will tell once I get this put together and see what the actuals will be.

I have finally sold the last of my donor parts that I didn't need and I came out a little money ahead, by about $250 over the total delivered cost of the car. This money has gone a long way to buying the replacement and upgrade parts. I wasn't sure I could get close to breaking even, but patience to wait for someone wanting the parts really paid off. :cool:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I have finally sold the last of my donor parts that I didn't need and I came out a little money ahead, by about $250 over the total delivered cost of the car. This money has gone a long way to buying the replacement and upgrade parts. I wasn't sure I could get close to breaking even, but patience to wait for someone wanting the parts really paid off. :cool:
Making progress :) Glad you were able to sell everything you could. Patience is what I ran short of selling mine. Had a lady come for the rear axle assembly, She was looking at the passenger side doors and wondering if she could put power windows in hers. I said sure you can:D Sold her both doors for $15 ea. I just wanted stuff gone. All I could picture after was a cobalt with Johnny Cash singing One Piece at a Time.......

Motoracer110

Wow you are going all out that’s awesome. I have to update my build log all the parts are going together so smooth very fun to build

Got some new parts for the brakes, received the 7 inch single diaphragm brake booster. Is quite smaller than the stock Cobalt booster and should help me match pedal feel to the more effective/lighter effort brakes on the Goblin.
What is the PN for that booster you're going to run? Also, are you going to run the stock master cylinder, or you getting something different? I need to replace the reservoir on my master cylinder (and not having any luck finding just the reservoir), so I'm thinking about going with a smaller booster like you're doing and matching it up to a different master cylinder and reservoir since seems I'll be buying a complete master and reservoir anyway.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Evil, I am looking at an integrated master cylinder reservoir, like a Corvette or Z28/Trans Am. It should a low enough profile to fit under the hood and then I don't have to run extender lines. The key thing is to go with a larger piston to reduce the pressure somewhat from the stock Cobalt set up. Plus having the smaller single diaphragm boost should make the brake pedal feel 'normal' and reduce the chance of brake lock up if hitting them hard.

I will be running a separate clutch fluid reservoir, bought a 6.5 oz. from Tilton that should mount to the firewall near the clutch master cylinder..

The 7 inch booster is an aftermarket, not a Chevy part. The brand is MBM and PN PB7001, bought off eBay. This booster will need an extension rod to connect to the brake pedal arm, also purchased from eBay from Rod Parts Dealer PNs GH101 + GH5564. This makes the position of the pedal adjustable. I have not yet purchased the master cylinder yet, still deciding which one, but it will be a 1.125 inch unit.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Bad news, I have an engine to replace in my Jeep. Funds for the Goblin are sidetracked for the short term until I can get her back on her feet - being my daily driver this is important if I want to get to and from work. I'm still anticipating the delivery of my kit soon - waiting a confirmation from Adam. It will just have to sit in the garage for a while. :(

Motoracer110

dang sorry to hear about the bad news. Hopefully you are able to bounce back fast! Maybe sell advertising space on the goblin and log monthly miles :D

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Sorry about your Jeep engine, my boss at home is definitely keeping me in check which is a good thing. My pre-marriage/baby days would have me already 30k deep into it before receiving my kit. It sucks to have to put the breaks on such a fun project, but we believe in you and your soon-to-be engine replacement.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Don't laugh, but I have been keeping a log of parts with manufacturers, part numbers and costs, and my grand total to date is already north of $22K and I don't have my kit yet. All of those shiny new parts are just too hard to resist...;) The boss at home has let me know about it in more way than one and now with a rebuild on the Jeep setting me back about $3200 she is not a happy camper. Oh well, there goes the happy wife/happy life out the window for a while. :(