LNF Intake Manifold Options

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I have really tried to do my homework on this, but can't find answers. Ive seen rumors and been told that you can use a saab intake manifold on a LNF to solve the bottom mount throttle body/fuel tank problem. I'd like to put the heat exchanger over the engine but dont want the 180 in charge plumbing right in front of the motor. Can anyone aim me in the right direction. The only saab I can find that will bolt up, looks identical to the stock HHR manifold.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I have really tried to do my homework on this, but can't find answers. Ive seen rumors and been told that you can use a saab intake manifold on a LNF to solve the bottom mount throttle body/fuel tank problem. I'd like to put the heat exchanger over the engine but dont want the 180 in charge plumbing right in front of the motor. Can anyone aim me in the right direction. The only saab I can find that will bolt up, looks identical to the stock HHR manifold.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Going to a Saab 9-3 Intake manifold appears to be a cheap solution. I would assume this would remove the stock LNF PCV from the equation and one would have to drill/tap a new external PCV / Catch Can or run without it.

Wondering if the 2.2L Throttle body is the same diameter as the LNF and if there would be any other challenges or limitations.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
All the cobalt ecotec engines have the same intake manifold pattern. There’s a few years of 9-3 manifolds that work, I don’t remember specifically but I know 2007-2008 work well. I just saw one for sale yesterday for $50 shipped.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I’m not positive on this but I’m pretty sure that’s some sort of California emissions hole. Most vehicles don’t have that.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
It's the PCV. Looks like the LHU intake manifold is the way to go. Would the LNF Throttle Body work with this?

It can be installed in the LNF, however the MAP sensor hole needs to be enlarged and the map sensor bolt hole needs to be ovaled out to match the intake manifolds threaded hole.

https://zzperformance.com/products/lhu-intake-manifold

edit: Confirmed! the LNF Throttle Body would work (https://zzperformance.com/products/new-lnf-lhu-throttle-body ) -- so this upgrade would only be $30. Wow

Last edited:

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
It's the PCV. Looks like the LHU intake manifold is the way to go. Would the LNF Throttle Body work with this?

It can be installed in the LNF, however the MAP sensor hole needs to be enlarged and the map sensor bolt hole needs to be ovaled out to match the intake manifolds threaded hole.

https://zzperformance.com/products/lhu-intake-manifold

edit: Confirmed! the LNF Throttle Body would work (https://zzperformance.com/products/new-lnf-lhu-throttle-body ) -- so this upgrade would only be $30. Wow
It looks the same as LNF manifold.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
We may have gotten ahead of ourselves here. All of the pictures I'm seeing of the HHR SS Turbo engine bay have the Throttle body pointing down. The studs would not line up if we simply flipped the manifold over which is the same position we're in now :(

An option would be to purchase a sheet metal intake manifold for an LNF / LHU and have the builder put the throttle body on the top instead of the bottom

Last edited:

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
We may have gotten ahead of ourselves here. All of the pictures I'm seeing of the HHR SS Turbo engine bay have the Throttle body pointing down. The studs would not line up if we simply flipped the manifold over which is the same position we're in now :(

An option would be to purchase a sheet metal intake manifold for an LNF / LHU and have the builder put the throttle body on the top instead of the bottom
I've found a couple of options in the $500 range but have more vital parts to buy before I fork out that kind of cash. Also thought of building my own, but if i can find a stock option in the $100 range, I'd do it.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I still don’t understand what’s keeping you from using the Saab manifold. Put a filter on the valve cover outlet for venting and don’t worry about that hole on the head.

mine even has a little hole that just hasn’t been opened up. It’s just emissions stuff I wouldn’t worry about it.
0720AD7F-5755-4B42-A366-3F1BC5AE1B3F.jpeg

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
My Dad always told me not to say "yeah, but, but....."

where does that port go in my head? Would i just plug the center port in the saab intake manifold? I agree, its probably emissions, but then again I don't want to push charge pressures into the crank case. I still need to burn crank case vented air or its gonna make a heck of a mess isnt it?

The LNF has direct injection whereas yours is still port injected isnt it?

I need to understand what that center port does and how does a forced induction motor keep negative crank case pressure?

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I'm throwing this video in this thread because we started the dialog here in regards to the function of the pcv valve in the manifold of the lnf. I pulled the baffles out of the valve cover so they wouldn't melt during powder coating and it gave me a chance to understand a little better how the system works.

Its my first video of this sort. Sorry I'm not more eloquent.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
And the story continues.....

I picked up a Saab 9-3 intake manifold.
Part # 12786243

It doesn't fit the LNF head. It might be able to be made to fit, but it will be crude at best.

20200405_143507.jpg

20200404_160823.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jim, you could have the intake manifold bolt holes welded in, add some extra to the end in your right hand in the photo to extend the flange, and redrill the bolt holes, if you are set on using the SAAB manifold. It would take some work, but it looks doable from the differences with the LNF intake gasket. :)