Goblin "ABS Emulator" - disable ABS, traction control and brake warning lights

bradr

UPDATE 1/8/2020:

The final product is now available for sale HERE. You should be able to also purchase one individually or as part of a kit direct from DF kit car in the near future. I will update this post then they are ready. Current project / product information can be found starting at post #8 below.

------------------------------------------------------------

A few people expressed interest in this particular project. As a result, I am moving the information and any subsequent discussion to this dedicated thread.

Builders that use a ABS equipped donor (JL9 build code), removing the ABS module will cause the ABS, Traction and Brake lights to come on. This is to indicate that there are issues with these systems. The concern is that the brake light should warn of low brake fluid (safety concern) and when the parking brake is active (assuming you plan on keeping the parking brake).

I have created the "Goblin ABS Emulator" - a small interface module that plugs into the diagnostic port and will emulate the ABS module. Because the vehicle thinks the ABS module is intact and working, there are no longer any warning lights, and the brake light works as it should. Current feature set:
  • Disables ABS light
  • Disables Traction light
  • Returns brake light functionality (low brake fluid and parking brake status)
  • Disables ABS & Traction error messages in the information center
  • Plug n' play (No wiring required)
If you do not want the Goblin ABS Emulator eating up your diagnostic port, you can simply use a OBDII Splitter cable or wire in a parallel OBDII pigtail anywhere on the high speed GMLAN bus. You simply need:
  • B+ (Pin 16)
  • Ground (Pin 4 or 5)
  • HS GMLAN+ (Pin 6)
  • HS GMLAN- (Pin 14)
After the Goblin ABS Emulator has been tested on an another vehicle, I will work on making them available to anyone interested. If anyone has questions, or input, please let me know!

Last edited:

bradr

Would it be a good idea to add airbag and seatbelt emulation?
In the works now (plus some bonus features). It will be a separate interface as it sits on the low speed GMLAN bus (ABS Emulator sits on the high speed GMLAN bus). Details HERE.

Last edited:

bradr

Good news! In addition to my testing in a 2010 donor, another member tested the ABS Eliminator in a 2007 donor. As a result, I am confident this will work in all 2007-2010 donors. If anyone has a completed goblin with a ABS equipped 2005 or 2006 donor, and the lights not yet otherwise disabled, contact me via private message.

bradr

I'm new to the Goblin forum and trying to get as much info as possible before buying my donor. I have another thread where I explain some of my thoughts on donor selection.

Knowing what you guys know now, are their models of cobalt that have more, or less, electronics that may help in adapting cobalt wiring to goblin wiring. Ie: with or without traction control.
Welcome! You question would be better asked and answered in another thread. I am trying to keep this thread specific to the ABS Emulator.

Last edited:

XJLIFE

posting for any updates as this would be super useful. Let me know if you need another tester for this or the AirBag Module.

bradr

The previous "ABS Emulator" design needed to stay plugged in to the diagnostic port long term to emulate the missing ABS module. NEW DESIGN - enter the "ABS Eliminator".

This new version, though programming, will turn off Anti-Lock Braking, Traction Control and Vehicle Dynamic systems in the BCM. As a result, the ABS and Traction control lights will no longer illuminate and you will no longer receive the "SERVICE TRACTION", "SERVICE ESC" and "ESC OFF" messages from the digital information center.

Simply plug the eliminator in long enough for it to make the programming changes and then remove - takes less than 20 seconds. These will be locked to the first BCM that they are plugged into and will not work on another BCM once locked.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Brad, so the module gets plugged in, it changes the BCM programming, and then it gets unplugged after the BCM is changed. So does that mean the module is now no longer useable on the car again? Or that it cannot be used on any other car/BCM? The module does not need to remain plugged into the ODB port?

bradr

Brad, so the module gets plugged in, it changes the BCM programming, and then it gets unplugged after the BCM is changed. So does that mean the module is now no longer useable on the car again? Or that it cannot be used on any other car/BCM? The module does not need to remain plugged into the ODB port?
The programmer can be used on your BCM multiple times, it can not be used on another BCM. It does not remain plugged in.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
How would this work with BCM's that were sent out to get the odometer zero'd? I imagine we should do that first, before using your module.

Also, in the event that someone uses your module, then has to get a new BCM (hey, stranger things have happened), is there any recourse for the user?

bradr

How would this work with BCM's that were sent out to get the odometer zero'd? I imagine we should do that first, before using your module.

Also, in the event that someone uses your module, then has to get a new BCM (hey, stranger things have happened), is there any recourse for the user?
The current security model locks onto the VIN recorded in the BCM. Zeroing the BCM will not cause an issue. If the BCM is replaced and the new VIN is registered in the BCM, then there is no issue.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I had to replace my BCM once already. I didn't do anything to register my old VIN in the new BCM... so does it do that by itself? Do you have a rough price range for your product?

bradr

I had to replace my BCM once already. I didn't do anything to register my old VIN in the new BCM... so does it do that by itself? Do you have a rough price range for your product?
No, recoding the VIN in a new BCM requires a GM TECH2 tool or equivalent. Pricing coming soon.

bradr

OK, with permission from DF, the ABS Eliminators are now available for sale HERE.

Adam from DF Kit car has indicated that they are also interested in selling them as well. If you would prefer to purchase one thru DF kit car, (pricing will be the same) please contact Adam directly. I believe they are also looking to add them to their product ordering page at some point so they can be purchased as part of a kit. Hopefully in the future, they will expand their site to allow ordering accessories after the fact (Adam / Lonny - feel free to chime in if you like).

Last edited: