Aftermarket gauge connections at engine

Oldchevyguy

Anyone use aftermarket oil pressure and water temperature gauges? It looks like the water temperature gauge sensor would be installed where there is a plug near the heater hose outlets? What thread is it?
Do you tee the fitting coming out of the oil filter housing, or is there a better way? Thanks!

BAR-AIR

Good Afternoon,
Actually if anyone has done a complete aftermarket gauge set up. I think a bunch of us would like to see how you accomplished it.
Bruce

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Good Afternoon,
Actually if anyone has done a complete aftermarket gauge set up. I think a bunch of us would like to see how you accomplished it.
Bruce
JSATX is pretty close.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Just waiting on the last few to arrive then will be all custom gauges no cobalt IC at all.

The only thing I’m giving up is the little LCD message display and tire pressures which don’t work anyway.

Oldchevyguy

The basic question is still unanswered at this time. I'm wondering about the basic plumbing on the engine.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
The most common way to pick up oil pressure is to tap into one of the many oil galley plugs.

the same adapter can be found on eBay with 1/8npt for gauge instead if you want that.

The OEM water temp sender is on the thermostat housing so thats where I’m going to add another.

Oldchevyguy

The most common way to pick up oil pressure is to tap into one of the many oil galley plugs.

the same adapter can be found on eBay with 1/8npt for gauge instead if you want that.

The OEM water temp sender is on the thermostat housing so thats where I’m going to add another.
Mine (05 LSJ) Is different. The wt sender is on the head. Up by the valve cover. There is a tapped hole with a plug in it on the thermostat housing.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Great that’s even better. Leave the stock one alone and use the thermostat housing for another sender to gauge.

Oldchevyguy

Yes, I agree. Now I have to adapt the 14mm (I think) metric thread with a copper gasket to 1/8 n.p.t. . Does anyone know of an adapter. Alternatively, I could drill out the hole and tap to a larger n.p.t. and bush to 1/8.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Yes, I agree. Now I have to adapt the 14mm (I think) metric thread with a copper gasket to 1/8 n.p.t. . Does anyone know of an adapter. Alternatively, I could drill out the hole and tap to a larger n.p.t. and bush to 1/8.
I do not know for sure what thread size that is, but once you figure that out there are lots of options.

Oldchevyguy

I do not know for sure what thread size that is, but once you figure that out there are lots of options.

That autometer 2267 fitting came a fit perfect in the thermostat housing.
Next I need to figure out how to plumb an electric oil pressure gauge send unit into the engine. Anyone have any ideas? Shown is a picture of my oil filter housing. There is a hex headed plug on the top. Could this be used?

Attachments

JSATX

Goblin Guru
There are oil gally plugs on both sides of the engines you can use any of them.

Oldchevyguy

The galley plugs are Allen cap heads. I think 3 on each side. Circled in
The galley plugs are Allen cap heads. I think 3 on each side. Circled in blue. View attachment 11026
I ordered the correct brass fitting. 12 x 1.75 to 1/8 npt. Should be here any day now. Gauges are ordered too. Not sure if I can install the send unit straight in, or have to use a 90 degree street elbow. Thanks
This should help other people.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I was thinking the same thing. But hey at least you’ll know since your gauge will go to zero!

Lechlis

It may be in one of your other threads, but what’s up with the crack where the engine bolts to the transmission?

Oldchevyguy

It may be in one of your other threads, but what’s up with the crack where the engine bolts to the transmission?
Just noticed the crack too. I think the previous owner incorrectly tightened the bellhousing bolts during a clutch repair. I am going to weld it tomorrow. I might build a bracket to support the OP sender too.