Is anyone tilting their hoods for access?

Oldchevyguy

I thought the goblin hood was ment to hinge on the two bolts under the windshield, but someone said it was ment to be removed for access. Is anyone hinging ot as mentioned above?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Even with a quick disconnect steering wheel, I think you'll still run into interferences such as the gauge cluster and maybe even the steering column depending on how high it's raised.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Have you tried the four bar linkage from the Cobalt trunk? It gives more clearance than a simple hinge pin.
IMG_7818.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Well...... I just so happen to have a pair! :)

I kept everything thinking I might re-purpose some things.
You pick up shipping, and they will be headed your way.
And just to sweeten the deal, I will throw in two rear seat back release mechanisms that could be used for latches - maybe.
I took a short movie clip showing the motion and how the hood back edge would actually move forward as it raises. But, I cannot upload a .MOV. If you want to watch it, PM me with an email address. And then an address to send them if you decide you want to try them.

Jason

Oldchevyguy

Well...... I just so happen to have a pair! :)

I kept everything thinking I might re-purpose some things.
You pick up shipping, and they will be headed your way.
And just to sweeten the deal, I will throw in two rear seat back release mechanisms that could be used for latches - maybe.
I took a short movie clip showing the motion and how the hood back edge would actually move forward as it raises. But, I cannot upload a .MOV. If you want to watch it, PM me with an email address. And then an address to send them if you decide you want to try them.

Jason
Very interesting idea! Since I am not using the stock gauge cluster, and plan on having a quick disconnect steering wheel anyway, I'm not sure if I need the more elaborate hinge setup you are proposing. Also, my girlfriend says we saved those hinges. If we did, they are in my NY garage, as we are snowbirds with about 4 weeks left here in Florida.
I do like your idea with the seat latches for the front. For some reason, mine does not line up right with the dzuse fasteners.it off by a significant amount. If you could email me pictures of these latches I would appreciate it. I will pm my email address. Thanks.

SwerveMonkey

Possibly a stupid question, as I am not yet at body work just yet.... but I'll still ask for planing purposes.
Has anyone tilted the nose FORWARD?!?!
I'd chase that goal if no one has....

edit: I'm aware that the front of the nose would have to be hinged at the bottom and that seems like a LOT of stress on the nose if hinge is not engineered properly

Last edited:

KSLunsfo

Possibly a stupid question, as I am not yet at body work just yet.... but I'll still ask for planing purposes.

edit: I'm aware that the front of the nose would have to be hinged at the bottom and that seems like a LOT of stress on the nose if hinge is not engineered properly
Could be doable... maybe even a pair of 'light' decklid/hood shocks for an assisted lift to an end stop position. Seems it would involve adding new tabs under the hood and somewhere on the frame to mount them. This way you could flip it forward without the nose wanting to go all the way to the ground. Or maybe just a cable/chain to stop it at a certain point?

Just throwing a couple ideas out there.

SwerveMonkey

Just throwing a couple ideas out there.
gotta start somewhere with innovative ideas :- D
I think I will want to chase this idea once I have stage three at hand and ready to start.
like you said it should have some mechanism that will keep it from swinging all the way forward.
I like the idea of a cable/chain that lets it rest just past its balance point forward...

My first car was an '85 prelude that had the forward hinged hood, only relied on a metal prop to hold it up.
it may depend on how much clearance is needed for the hood to rest on the prop and someone to reach all the critical objects under the nose.
I'd be excited to throw the spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks once I get my body panels ordered and shipped :- )

k.rollin

Goblin Guru

It's definitely been done before

SwerveMonkey

I installed the hinges, but still need to settle on a mechanism to hold it in place when open... ALBUM link for Imgur

I think the route i will take next is to get a flat cable and simply tie off a length that is just past the tipping point so it can rest on the hinge

AMCAMX1969

I'm going to use 2 gas struts, should take a little of the load off the hinges and the nose fiberglass and stabilize the hood in case there is a gust of wind

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I'm going to use 2 gas struts, should take a little of the load off the hinges and the nose fiberglass and stabilize the hood in case there is a gust of wind
Did you check out KLM MOTOR SPORTS video of his hood, His video in classified where he is selling his

KLMOTORSPORTS

Here are photos of my hood….lifts all the way up. I cut the windshield so it wouldn’t hit the bars and made a plate that bolts under radiator. Simple bolt comes off hood and holds it real well….pretty simple, but effective design

Attachments