Engine Cleaning

ToxicBill

If you cleaned your engine prior to installing it in the Goblin? I'm using Simple Green concentrate (3:1 with water) and a brush to clean up the engine and its doing a decent job but I'm looking for get a little more shine out of it - if its there to be had.

Any recommendations on particular brushes?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Not sure on the brush, but when I use simple green, I wet down whatever I’m cleaning, then spray SG directly on the surface. I let it sit for a little bit, then I use a sponge or pressure washer to clean everything off.

A side note: If you have a sxs or 4-wheeler, doing it this way will make the plastic shine like new.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
You can blast it.
turn ugly engine into almost OEM LOL
See the big difference in intake manifold.
I tried everything to clean engine ZEP, SIMPLE GREEN, OVEN CLEANER, SAM’S PROFESSIONAL OVER CLEANER,

THEN I ( BLASTED THE ***** ) WHAT A DIFFERENCE THAT MAID, SHE WAS SO HAPPY TO BE CLEAN AGAIN !!

2nd Picture is after cleaning her with everything before blasting

Attachments

Last edited:

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
You can blast it.
turn ugly engine into almost OEM LOL
See the big difference in intake manifold.
I tried everything to clean engine ZEP, SIMPLE GREEN, OVEN CLEANER, SAM’S PROFESSIONAL OVER CLEANER,

THEN I ( BLASTED THE ***** ) WHAT A DIFFERENCE THAT MAID, SHE WAS SO HAPPY TO BE CLEAN AGAIN !!

2nd Picture is after cleaning her with everything before blasting
Sand blasted transmission then painted with high temp paint

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Cleaning will only remove the grease and grime at best. Much of what you are seeing is it oxidizing. That can't be removed by a "cleaner". Mechanical means are the most effective. Not sure I suggest everyone go out and blast high pressure sand at their engine. I attempted to use soda, but had poor results and wasn't worth the effort. I ended up spending a lot of free time wire brushing with different size and types of brushes.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I had the same exact experience Chad had, went through about 30 pounds of soda before I was finally finished, it was ok but not worth all the effort. Still scrubbed a lot with wire brushes.

Ross

Goblin Guru
After the wire brush, I get in the tight areas with the dremel tool wire brushes:

The little wire brushes only last about 5 minutes, but they do get the job done.
In the end, I use engine paint over it.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Cleaning will only remove the grease and grime at best. Much of what you are seeing is it oxidizing. That can't be removed by a "cleaner". Mechanical means are the most effective. Not sure I suggest everyone go out and blast high pressure sand at their engine. I attempted to use soda, but had poor results and wasn't worth the effort. I ended up spending a lot of free time wire brushing with different size and types of brushes.
You didn’t suggest That I blast high pressure sand at mine but it sure did an outstanding job of cleaning engine, When you go from this to this, You can see where I tried the wire wheel but that wasn’t working very good in my opinion.

Attachments

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
After the wire brush, I get in the tight areas with the dremel tool wire brushes:

View attachment 13265

The little wire brushes only last about 5 minutes, but they do get the job done.
In the end, I use engine paint over it.
I used these same type brushes and some aluminum paint afterwards. Like Ross said they did not last long wear at the minimum safety glasses I recommend a face shield. and long sleeves. Those little wires end up stuck everywhere. I used more of the cup and the pointed styles than any others. Brush assortment.