Steering Stop options?

KLMOTORSPORTS

Working on devising steering stops for the Goblin and curious if anyone has figured this out...I’m thinking a bracket can be fabricated coming off the A-Arm as initial look...

Any info most appreciated on this...seen some threads on here of using collars on the rack to lock the steering at a point but doesn’t sound like it worked out.

Thanks!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Ken I gave up on the collars. It still may be possible. the passenger side was simple. The driver side has the gear cut in the rack and will require a bigger collar. After driving a while I really do not need the stops. I have taught my self to not turn so hard in the parking lots.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Ken I gave up on the collars. It still may be possible. the passenger side was simple. The driver side has the gear cut in the rack and will require a bigger collar. After driving a while I really do not need the stops. I have taught my self to not turn so hard in the parking lots.
Once you see the tire touch, you become acutely aware at the slow speed turns. Almost paranoid.....

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ken, did you sketch something up? I'm sure that seeing what you have in mind, the depth of the engineering and design from the forum can help you with this. I was noticing no steering stop when I was doing some dry fitting, made me start to think about how to add this to the steering. :)

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
There must be different steering racks, tire offsets, wheel inside diameters or maybe a combination of all three that can make it work.
My orange Goblin can't touch. Adam's red Goblin can.

KLMOTORSPORTS

Thanks Ron...starting to think I will do the same, but would like the “insurance” of having a stop

KLMOTORSPORTS

Ken, did you sketch something up? I'm sure that seeing what you have in mind, the depth of the engineering and design from the forum can help you with this. I was noticing no steering stop when I was doing some dry fitting, made me start to think about how to add this to the steering. :)
Not yet...may sketch something out and feed it to those smarter than me...good idea!

KLMOTORSPORTS

There must be different steering racks, tire offsets, wheel inside diameters or maybe a combination of all three that can make it work.
My orange Goblin can't touch. Adam's red Goblin can.
Hey Lonny, I’m not running the Cobalt steering box....straight shaft into the rack...I believe it may be possible for a clamp on style stop off the A-Arm?? Maybe...need to ponder on it

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I think some machined rings that would slip over the rack before installing the inboard tie rods would work. If it would it would be nice to include it in the kit.

KLMOTORSPORTS

I think some machined rings that would slip over the rack before installing the inboard tie rods would work. If it would it would be nice to include it in the kit.
I was just thinking that looking at the rack and how the tie rods move...possibly clamp to the A-arm and pivot / stop at designated position off the rods (adjust with nuts spun on the rack rods)

KLMOTORSPORTS

Pardon my archaic design...lol....I’m thinking you could build a mount like this (clamped to A Arm) to set steering stop limits....thoughts??

Maybe add another nut with a thick washer sandwiched in between them to hit the stop better

BAAF2B8F-FF3A-43FC-B6DE-D19DE0AA6705.jpeg

Ross

Goblin Guru
Pardon my archaic design...lol....I’m thinking you could build a mount like this (clamped to A Arm) to set steering stop limits....thoughts??

Maybe add another nut with a thick washer sandwiched in between them to hit the stop better
The A arms travel up and down in relation to the wheel's upright, so if you put a bump stop there, it would rub at different places, maybe even hang up. I like Lonny's design best, ring stops on the steering rack.

KLMOTORSPORTS

The A arms travel up and down in relation to the wheel's upright, so if you put a bump stop there, it would rub at different places, maybe even hang up. I like Lonny's design best, ring stops on the steering rack.
Trying to envision the rings...got a pic of them or drawing where they would go?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Trying to envision the rings...got a pic of them or drawing where they would go?
I think he is talking about something like this collar I tried. Mounted on the inside edge of the inner tie rod.
20190216_102135.jpg

It worked great on the passenger side but on the driver side the gear on the rack makes a problem getting a collar thin enough to fit in the rack.
20190216_101840.jpg

If you could find something for the driver side it would be a easy fix.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
What thickness of spacer do you need?

Brad
Here is the issue on the driver side. The ID. of the rack is 1.875 The OD. of the shaft on the rack is 1.125" The OD of a 1-1/8 collar is the same as rack ID.

IMG_20200505_193417.jpg

The rack has a T shape to it on the driver side.
IMG_20200505_193349.jpg

George

Goblin Guru
If someone has a laser scanner, it could be scanned and 3d printed out of maybe nylon.

Brad