Sand rail

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
4 seat sand rail that I rebuilt engine in and other work , It was a fun toy just under powered

Attachments

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Here's the one I messed around with. Build the motor (2L stroker) and bought the frame as-is.

Note the engine being built on my kitchen table was before I was married, lol.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Ours look a lot alike, I ended up having 1835 when done with the engine. I loved the old vw they would run forever , about all I ever did to one was crack the head .

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
My VW engine building experience isn't with a sand rail but I figured it would fit in alright here.

Not the prettiest build but I used what I had.
old motor.JPG

old motor on ground.jpg

I know this engine had a bore of 94mm but I can't remember the stroke. It ran well at first.

Bug vs my dad's ZL1 Camaro (pretty quick until hitting tall third gear)

March 2013
Unbeknownst to me, an additive called ZDDP was pulled from most common motor oils and without this additive, aggressive cams will destroy flat tappet lifters. My bug started running poorly. The lifters were destroyed:
broken lifters.jpg

April 27, 2014
Newish engine sitting on the stand , mostly assembled.
2276cc (82 stroke x 94 bore)
Engle FK-8 cam
CB 044 Magnum Plus heads, lightly ported
1.4 ratio rockers
engine on stand.jpg

May 4, 2014
Dual Weber 44 IDF carbs
MSD 6AL and MSD Blaster 2 coil mounted inside car with a firewall pass through
engine installed.jpg

May 10, 2014
First car show with the new engine.
The white and red baja bug was my dad's and the yellow baja bug is my brother's.
bugs at car show.jpg

June 4, 2014
The Beetle was set aside for a new project: a mid-engined, open wheel street car.
It has been shuffled around the shop and now resides in a shipping container out back.
I'll eventually work on it again.
early P1.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
My VW engine building experience isn't with a sand rail but I figured it would fit in alright here.

Not the prettiest build but I used what I had.
View attachment 13615

View attachment 13617

I know this engine had a bore of 94mm but I can't remember the stroke. It ran well at first.

Bug vs my dad's ZL1 Camaro (pretty quick until hitting tall third gear)

March 2013
Unbeknownst to me, an additive called ZDDP was pulled from most common motor oils and without this additive, aggressive cams will destroy flat tappet lifters. My bug started running poorly. The lifters were destroyed:
View attachment 13621

April 27, 2014
Newish engine sitting on the stand , mostly assembled.
2276cc (82 stroke x 94 bore)
Engle FK-8 cam
CB 044 Magnum Plus heads, lightly ported
1.4 ratio rockers
View attachment 13607

May 4, 2014
Dual Weber 44 IDF carbs
MSD 6AL and MSD Blaster 2 coil mounted inside car with a firewall pass through
View attachment 13608

May 10, 2014
First car show with the new engine.
The white and red baja bug was my dad's and the yellow baja bug is my brother's.
View attachment 13609

June 4, 2014
The Beetle was set aside for a new project: a mid-engined, open wheel street car.
It has been shuffled around the shop and now resides in a shipping container out back.
I'll eventually work on it again.
View attachment 13610
and of course now you have graduated to the Golf R. VW is in the blood............... :)

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I have a GTI that's my DD, I love it... really smooth car. I also had a ZL1 before my wife and I decided to have kids. That thing was insane, we both loved it so much and I was so sad to sell it.