Donor too good to be true?

Dakota8800

I found a possible donor on Facebook Marketplace that SEEMS to be a steal. I am hoping for a little guidance from the goblin gods.

This car has transmission issues. The owner states that the car will move on its own, but not far. He cites transmission issues.
Are all cobalt transmissions compatible? Could I swap a base model auto or manual tranny in or is it incompatible? I looked online and it looks like it will work, but I wanted to be sure.

I wish I could begin with a car that runs and drives and I was just going to start with a base model, but this seems like a pretty decent deal.

103,000 miles and a salvage title. Interior looks good
He is asking $1000. Is it worth $1000?

Attachments

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I'd say that's an OKAY deal not great. I paid 2000 for my first 07 SS/SC with 79k miles and 1500$ for my second SS/TC with 102k miles but rolled.

I think you will need a different flywheel and possibly other things too to make it work. New F35 is going to run you around 750$ non LSD or 1500+ for LSD.

At worst use that car and you can buy a new F23 for around 450$ DF was even selling them might still be.

Nuker-

Ross

Goblin Guru
An automatic has a engine computer and a separate transmission computer, but a standard only has one computer (PCM) that they call a Power Control Module. The engine with an automatic is tuned with torque control, and a standard isn't. So the engine harness, computers, and the transmission are different.

I paid just under $1000 for a 2006 Supercharged, but that was 1.5 years ago, and these things keep going up in price. Also mine had a lot of miles on the odometer, there is a video if you want more details.

Dakota8800

I'd say that's an OKAY deal not great. I paid 2000 for my first 07 SS/SC with 79k miles and 1500$ for my second SS/TC with 102k miles but rolled.

I think you will need a different flywheel and possibly other things too to make it work. New F35 is going to run you around 750$ non LSD or 1500+ for LSD.

At worst use that car and you can buy a new F23 for around 450$ DF was even selling them might still be.

Nuker-
Hm. I wouldn't want to complicate things further. If it's not a direct swap then I will probably leave it alone.
Thanks!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Depending upon how deep your pockets are should be your guide to making a risk buy. Faulty transmission should make you question the condition of the engine. Does it start and run? Are any fluids on the ground under the car? What does the engine oil look and smell like? How much rust is visible on the car, especially on bolts and suspension components? From the photos it looks like this o e has been sitting for a while neglected. If a car is worth buying as a donor it should driving, preferably daily. Unless you have deep pockets and a big budget. :rolleyes:

Dakota8800

Depending upon how deep your pockets are should be your guide to making a risk buy. Faulty transmission should make you question the condition of the engine. Does it start and run? Are any fluids on the ground under the car? What does the engine oil look and smell like? How much rust is visible on the car, especially on bolts and suspension components? From the photos it looks like this o e has been sitting for a while neglected. If a car is worth buying as a donor it should driving, preferably daily. Unless you have deep pockets and a big budget. :rolleyes:
Very good points. I would probably be stuck shelling out more than I want to for a suitable transmission in addition to anything else wrong with the car. I certainly do not have deep pockets. By the way things are looking now, I'll have the cheapest goblin on earth!
Thanks!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
We will keep looking and ping you if we find a screaming deal. Be sure to check Facebook and watch the Cobalt and Ecotec forums. Once you are seriously looking the CoPart and other auto auctions may be another source - and ask about the dos and donts of using them. :)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
My first donor was an 07 SS/SC that didn't run. Dealer claimed all it needed was some fresh gas, new coils, new plugs, a battery and an oil change. He was totally and completely wrong.

I thought I was getting a big value at $1000. I was totally and completely wrong.

I managed to make back what I spent on it by selling the bits, but I didn't make the same mistake twice. My current donor, an 08 SS/TC with 78k on the odometer, was totaled but ran like a champ. I spent $1700 on it.

PyroGuy923

In December I paid $1600 for a totaled 2008 SS/TC with 126k miles. Keep searching. They're out there. Auction sites are good options too. I got mine from IAAI.com

Dakota8800

Splurged and bought my donor today! 2005 Cobalt SS S/C
It runs, drives and shifts, at least! Engine sounds good even when revved and there is no timing chain rattle, although I do have an idle surge and code P0315, which I am researching now. It does not seem like a huge deal so far.
Could not find any leaks.
I paid only $700 for it. Signed salvage title.
Cover your children's eyes before seeing the rear!
Rear suspension looks good, but it seems the previous owner did a battery relocation? The battery terminals are the cables hanging down in the rear.

IMG_20200513_200256.jpg
IMG_20200513_200302.jpg
IMG_20200513_200316.jpg
IMG_20200513_200309.jpg

I suppose it is a little late now, but was it a decent buy in your honest opinion?

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
Depends on the mileage. I mean, no matter how you slice it, a running, driving SS/SC for $700 is pretty good. Does it have the G85? If so, it's possible the seller doesn't know what they were letting go of.

Dakota8800

Depends on the mileage. I mean, no matter how you slice it, a running, driving SS/SC for $700 is pretty good. Does it have the G85? If so, it's possible the seller doesn't know what they were letting go of.
Miles are too high! 200k
I don't believe it has the G85 package unless they took the recaros and replaced them.
I would not buy a base model cobalt with this many miles, but it sounds good and I've read that the lsj 2.0 is a little more robust than the 2.2.

Goblin Guru
I mean, you're probably going to get a few surprises in the process, but you can't argue with $700. I do have to wonder, what the seller was doing to that poor Cobalt, though.... looks like he cut the ass off of it.

Dakota8800

I mean, you're probably going to get a few surprises in the process, but you can't argue with $700. I do have to wonder, what the seller was doing to that poor Cobalt, though.... looks like he cut the ass off of it.
Yup! I think he got inspiration from an el camino? I'm not sure.
I expect a couple suprises

Dakota8800

Change that timing chain tensioner ASAP. You should probably just do the whole timing kit while you're at it.
Will do! I don't plan on running it except to maybe get on a trailer until I do a full tune-up as well as handling the timing chain tensioner.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Splurged and bought my donor today! 2005 Cobalt SS S/C
It runs, drives and shifts, at least! Engine sounds good even when revved and there is no timing chain rattle, although I do have an idle surge and code P0315, which I am researching now. It does not seem like a huge deal so far.
Could not find any leaks.
I paid only $700 for it. Signed salvage title.
Cover your children's eyes before seeing the rear!
Rear suspension and axles look good, but it seems the previous owner did a battery relocation? The battery terminals are the cables hanging down in the rear.

View attachment 13870View attachment 13871View attachment 13872View attachment 13873
I suppose it is a little late now, but was it a decent buy in your honest opinion?
Oh wow! Looks like something from my childhood at the county fair demolition derby.
Cobalt battery was always in the trunk.
Rear suspension does not get used on the Goblin.
Hopefully you will not need to replace too many major items in the build process.
SO - get after it!!!! :)