Heat Exchanger Air Duct

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I have a custom heat exchanger and relocated intake, and the best I can get is about 10-15 degrees above ambient while cruising at 65-70.

RBikeMan

Hi Lonny,

Last week I pulled the trigger on chassis #415. A bit of a crazy question on the ducts. Could they be used to direct cool air into the passenger footwell via the tubes? I live in GA and it can get pretty hot in the summer. We had a Brunton Super Stalker, and our feet got toasty on hot days. Thanks!

Vince

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lonny,

Last week I pulled the trigger on chassis #415. A bit of a crazy question on the ducts. Could they be used to direct cool air into the passenger footwell via the tubes? I live in GA and it can get pretty hot in the summer. We had a Brunton Super Stalker, and our feet got toasty on hot days. Thanks!

Vince
I think it could work, though it might be easier to put a small NACA duct on the forward end of each side panel.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I think you will have more luck
I think it could work, though it might be easier to put a small NACA duct on the forward end of each side panel.
I think you would have to put them there to prevent pulling in more hot air than cool. Another option might be a scoop high on the hood with a tube tube into the footwell. I plan on playing with this some this summer. First step will be to try and completely seal the footwell cover.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Or putting a cold air plenum into the underside of the hood that draws directly from in front of the radiator. It is open in the natural gap between the bottom of the hood and top of the radiator, where anything above 10mph will push air into the plenum. There will be adjustable vents in the rear side of the plenum to direct air at the driver/passenger feet/knees.

A few more photos.

20200503_110302.jpg
20200503_110243.jpg
20200503_110218.jpg

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would be concerned that would still draw hot air from the radiator especially when stopped. Maybe when the cooling fan is running it will pull the hot air down and away enough.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
There is no airflow when stopped, like there is no airflow thru NACA ducts when stopped. As soon as you start moving cool air enters the opening at the front of the hood and 'piles up' in front of the radiator as it gets passed thru the radiator fins. This packed up cold air gets pushed up - default from the radiator angle - towards the opening in the plenum. This push slightly pressurize the plenum, same as air pushing into the NACA ducts, resulting in positive airflow which then exits the cooling ducts at the rear. As you said, the radiator fan pulls the cold air thru the radiator which becomes hot air and then exits out the open sides of the hood between the suspension arms. BTW, putting the NACA ducts behind this opening in the sides of the panels will get a mix of hot and cold air that is somewhat turbulent at that location.

EDIT: an extra added benefit is the panel makes the hood stiffer - and weight added by the plenum is on the front of the car, where it is needed.

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
For what it's worth, I can't imagine a duct or plenum making much of a difference for driving comfort. I've driven my car through South Carolina heat and humidity and it's only bothersome when sitting still. I can imagine the footwell cover (which I don't have) helping when sitting still, as it should keep the radiator heat off of your legs, especially if the fan's running. When moving, there's so much airflow going every which way that I honestly don't even notice the heat coming off the radiator. I drove my car into November last year, once in sub-50 degrees, and I didn't feel that the radiator did anything at all to keep me warm. I had an S2000 before the Goblin and I always ran the fans on cool in the footwell with the top down as my feet got toasty, so I do know what you're talking about. @RBikeMan I'd just recommend building your Goblin and seeing how your feet feel before you plan anything to try to address the topic.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I didn't get to drive mine a lot before the weather started to cool, but the first few drives were in hot weather. I did notice my feet legs getting hot but I really couldn't say that I remember how much was moving or setting still. This was at least part of the time with a footwell cover.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
When you live in the desert ANY extra air moving into a stagnant area can make a difference. Yes, the Goblin is an open cockpit, but the area under the hood will have far less circulation than at the seats. Since I plan to have a full firewall between my feet and the radiator/battery/steering rack area to block hot air from entering the footwell and air regulation in the gap between the hood and side panels, the footwell will be dead air space. Thankfully there is no engine heat up front to add to the radiator heat. o_O

Aerodynamically a dead air space is negative pressure so it will inherently pull air from a higher pressure area - example, a vented air plenum - and is one of the reasons air is pulled forward from the engine bay. And yes, the windshield is a contributor to the low pressure area. Keep in mind that changes can be made to manage air flow to reduce random and turbulent air in the Goblin. Windshield height and shape, adding side deflector 'wings' at the A pillar, installing a 'roof' and putting an air blocker at the rear firewall (like used on Porsche and Mercedes convertibles) can make significant changes in cockpit air flow. So anyone wanting to try something new should be encouraged to do so by the rest of us so we can all hopefully benefit from their experimentation and experience. :D

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Right now the low pressure area in the footwell pulls in warm air from the radiator passed my imperfectly sealed footwell cover. There is a brief discussion on here with someone that had success sealing the footwell cover. He said that he could tell anytime that sealing had a leak so my plan is to first seal the footwell tight and then look at ways to draw air in from other places.