VVT Donor first build

Batmonkey

Hey
I am selecting my donor for my first build. Should I be looking for the cobalt SS with variable valve timing?

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
You have three choices for the stock SS model:
1 Turbocharged at 260HP which has variable valve timing (2008 to 2010); known as the LNF
2. Supercharged at 205HP (2005 to 2007); known as the LSJ
3. Naturally Aspirated at 171HP which has variable valve timing (~2006); known as the LE5

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Cobalt_SS

Last edited:

Batmonkey

I have two 2006 cobalt SS for decent price I can get with fairly low KM. But there are so basic stock ones I can get for 500$ with no VVT. Ill be building an off road model.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The off-road Goblin AT kit is an automatic transmission, because of the lower differential gear ratio which works well with the bigger off road tires.
So you probably want the automatic tranny for the lower gear ratio, which I think limits you to the 2.2L standard engine, and maybe the LE5.

These engines can be modified to higher HP, if you are willing to make changes to them... like adding the supercharger kit or turbo kit to the 2.2L.

Batmonkey

The off-road Goblin AT kit is an automatic transmission, because of the lower differential gear ratio which works well with the bigger off road tires.
So you probably want the automatic tranny for the lower gear ratio, which I think limits you to the 2.2L standard engine, and maybe the LE5.
oh hmm your right, thank you I just checked this now, ah decisions decisions now

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Very cool! I wish the All Terrain (AT) version was an option when I started this project. Lonny and Adam requires an automatic transmission for the AT version. So as Ross said above you really only have three choices... the L61, LAP, LE5 (see below) and I think all come with VVT. It looks like if you can find a LE5, you'll get the most HP out of the gate. LSJ and LNF are strictly manual transmissions.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
thats actually what I was looking at the 2006 Cobalt SS still has VVT
2006 had 2 different SS Cobalts. The NA 2.4L engine (LE5) and the supercharged 2.0L engine (LSJ). The LSJ doesn't have VVT, (this is my engine)... but that isn't a big deal to me, as you get lots of power of a LSJ by modifying it (Justin Reed runs his Goblin LSJ at 585HP to the wheels)