RouteAbel's Extended Track Easy Entry - '10SS/TC build

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Looks great. Guessing the learning experience may offset the desire to purchase a new engine? There is always a level of satisfaction completing a project and getting excellent results. :D

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
I haven't been idle but have been going pretty slow cleaning up and rebuilding the motor a bit. I am finally ready to take it off the engine stand and mate it to the transmission. the more time I spent with the motor the more I wished I had bought a new crate motor.
I'm In the same boat, with the money and time I have put into my 160k mile supercharged motor I would have probably been better off getting a new lnf to begin with.

RouteAbel

I'm making progress. I'm finally starting to see the end. I still have a bunch of things to do but the list is getting shorter. I'm sure as I get closer to the end the more questions I will have.

First question what is this line for? What plugs into it?

Next question, for plumbing the Turbo heat exchanger I have screwed in the white plastic elbows. Do these just get plumbed with 3/4 heater hose to the white plastic pipes? The white pipes feel a little smallish with the 3/4 hose. I could use some hose clamps. Anyone got any pictures of plumbing the heat exchanger?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I'm making progress. I'm finally starting to see the end. I still have a bunch of things to do but the list is getting shorter. I'm sure as I get closer to the end the more questions I will have.

First question what is this line for? What plugs into it?

View attachment 14064

Next question, for plumbing the Turbo heat exchanger I have screwed in the white plastic elbows. Do these just get plumbed with 3/4 heater hose to the white plastic pipes? The white pipes feel a little smallish with the 3/4 hose. I could use some hose clamps. Anyone got any pictures of plumbing the heat exchanger?
the hose goes to the intake pipe next to MAF. I replaced mine with rubber hose and an aftermarket check valve (original is the black plastic one in your pic).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CC9K599/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_8168.jpgIMG_8169.jpg

yes tighten down the hose clamps on the HE pipes. Loose fit indeed.
see post #172
https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/jason-in-texas-ext-track-09-ss-tc.1531/page-9

RouteAbel

the hose goes to the intake pipe next to MAF. I replaced mine with rubber hose and an aftermarket check valve (original is the black plastic one in your pic).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CC9K599/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 14073View attachment 14074

yes tighten down the hose clamps on the HE pipes. Loose fit indeed.
see post #172
https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/jason-in-texas-ext-track-09-ss-tc.1531/page-9
Thank you. I found the pictures of your heat exchanger install last night after posting. They need to add a link to the useful photo album.

RouteAbel

Do the rear hubs just bang out? I removed the bolts but having difficulty removing the hub with light banging and prying. Is there any trick or do I just need to move on to severe banging and prying?

Murcielago311

Mine looked very similar. They were corroded to the knuckle and by the time I got them to pop out, the bearings would no longer spin freely. Took it as one of the many excuses to upgrade to new parts.

RouteAbel

Working on the front suspension. I hadn't seen it mentioned how tight the steering rack and passenger side suspension are. I had already torqued the steering rack and had to remove it so I could get the bolt for the suspension in place.

I think I have these lined up correctly. I was surprised that the rod ends are not directly vertical. The upper rod end is slightly closer to the rear of the car than the lower.

But I have pretty good camber.

RouteAbel

Thank you, that is helpful. I had not found that thread before. The other thing I notice is I have two holes for the steering arm where the videos only show a single set of holes. Did you mount through the top holes or bottom? In my picture I have it top on the left side and bottom on the right side. Thats probably not correct.

Also I see I have my washers flipped on the top rod end.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Thank you, that is helpful. I had not found that thread before. The other thing I notice is I have two holes for the steering arm where the videos only show a single set of holes. Did you mount through the top holes or bottom? In my picture I have it top on the left side and bottom on the right side. Thats probably not correct.

Also I see I have my washers flipped on the top rod end.
both bottom holes.

IMG_8187.jpg

RouteAbel

Well I can't procrastinate any longer, time to finish my wiring harness, its all that stands between me and a hopeful first start. I had gotten about half way done when the new videos started dropping. I discovered one mistake I made due to the new videos. I had cut out the wire that is to be used for the heat exchanger. At that point I decided to wait until all the videos were done and moved on to other items.

Today I started getting the harness laid back out and trying to figure out where I left off. I was able to fix the previous mistake.

I still have my grounds done the old style, but I don't think I am going to try to undo all that unless @Lonny tells me it will be a problem.

After labeling and cutting the labeled cables on the body and dash harnesses I still have a few extra. Do these just need to get cut out now? I've got two reds, a green, and a blue.

Other than that I think I should be back on track to finish the videos from the dash harness onward.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yours is newer than mine, but should be the same. the 2 red with white tracer wires should be ignition +, the green should be a data wire and not sure on the last one.

RouteAbel

Yours is newer than mine, but should be the same. the 2 red with white tracer wires should be ignition +, the green should be a data wire and not sure on the last one.
Does the data wire need to be extended and tied into the other data wires in the dash area?